Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Good points, MMM and apileocole. I'm starting to think this is an old wives tale, maybe. The pieces don't seem to fit.

Matt

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

4. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Which isn't saying much, as it was probably from the mono session tape.:shake:

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I had thought the low level was tied into the bad formulation thing.

Meaning, they couldn't hit that particular tape with as hot a signal or it would distort.
    I seem to remember hearing that line a long time ago, and it would make more sense than the tape formulation not 'agreeing' with the Ampex recording heads or whatever.

Still, if that was case, they have earmarked those reels for 'Bucky Pizzalo and his Cowboy Buckos' or some such thing, not a Sinatra session.

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree, makes sense if the tapes are indeed different from what was typically used around that time. John Palladino is quoted in SESSIONS WITH SINATRA about how Capitol was known to be a progressive company back in the day amongst manufacturers they dealt with, so it's possible Scotch or whoever sent them some new tape to try out. It's very odd to me that they would have experimented with tape at a real session instead of some actual testing/trials, even considering its the stereo recording.

7. apileocole

fwiw, those stories about the stereo of For Only The Lonely using poor experimental tape sound odd to me. It'd take someone familiar with vintage tape like Steve going through the tapes, determining conclusively it is the actual 1st gen session tapes and saying "Hey, this ain't Scotch 111 - why this stuff here's made outta Hudson hubcaps!" or something, then I'd buy it. Maybe the fault is in the playback, perhaps their more modern units just won't calibrate or otherwise cotton to it too great, perhaps they're not dialing things in right for that tape or perhaps they're using a noisy dub. Perhaps it was something hissy in the stereo mic array like a tube or something going south on them. Or perhaps they're just being crazy about hiss again and it's just normal noise that's acceptable given the dynamics. Who knows, but I don't buy the rumors face value.

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

We can rule out modern playback being an issue re hiss - the original stereo mix done back in '58 has the atypical hiss, heard on the LP's. The remixes for CD have it sucked away.

9. apileocole

Well it's hard to say what was up with the original LP mixdown/mastering either. Some are odd.

What I like to think, which is only so much wishful thinkin', is that they recorded it with extraordinary dynamic range, necessitating lowered overall levels thus higher relative noise level. But we don't know because they've always compressed it so much - we only get a load of hiss as the low overall level is squished up or hefty NR to counteract that. The dynamics are sitting there on the tape waiting to be discovered through an audiophile reissue... :angel: Ah well.

Maybe the truth is Frank's gal was up in the snack bar with the stereo rig and thought the stereo monitors were too loud, got up and turned the big knobs down... the record level knobs... :D

10. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

Wouldn't that be quite the story!

I think she would be the most hated woman by audiophiles for years to come. :laugh:

11. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The two available CD's that are out there plus the tracks in the Capitol Years 3 CD set are all taken (I think) from the 3-track tapes, not the LP mixdowns.
    The amount of noise reduction applied to the CD's and individual songs (on the Walsh CD and C.Y. set, which was in excess of what was normally used.) Plus the bad tape formulation back story jazz, which has been going around for years, lead one to believe that the 3 track itself is the hissy culprit.
    Though, mixing to another analog tape back the 1950's would of course have added more hiss. It'd be great to hear an un NR'd digital transfer of the original 3 track.

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

looks like Matt missed one...read it before it goes away forever to the land of forbidden frank speak...

13. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this info is of any use to anyone, but I picked up a green label Capitol pressing of this today (SN-16202) from the 80s(?). I thought I would point out that I think this pressing just re-uses SM series pressing stampers.

I noticed in the dead wax it has a machine stamped "Mastered By Capitol" inscription, then the hand written SN catalog number that matches the green label and then another catalog number hand written, but scratched-out, "SM1 1053 F50".

14. MLutthans

Some of you oldies who viewed the Sinatra site may recall my "beef" with the CD remixes of "One for my Baby."
    Picture 5.jpg
    Here's the text from that former site:
    and
    Well, I've always wondered what sort of gear was done to actually accomplish the vocal panning on ONE FOR MY BABY, as many mixers from that time period had SWITCHES to assign mics to channels (not pan pots). Obviously, there had to be a mixer used in post production that had pan pots ("PANoramic POTentiometers," which allow the user to move a sound element anywhere from far left to far right, rather than merely left, center, or right).

My friend Dave recently fully restored (and is using!) a tube-based Pultec mixer that was specifically designed to take an input from a 3 track tape, send the outputs to reverb chambers, then bring the reverb back in to the board to create a stereo output (mix feed) with raw signal and reverb mixed, and everything is fully "pan-able," including the position of the reverb. Specifically, when a signal such as Sinatra's vocal is fed into the board, it goes through a switch along the top. That signal AND its reverb can be moved in one of three ways via a 3-way toggle switch. LEFT means the vocal and its reverb will be sent to the left channel of the stereo mix. RIGHT means the vocal and its reverb will be sent to the right channel of the stereo mix. PAN means the vocal and its reverb will be sent wherever the large PAN knob at the bottom is adjusted. On Sinatra stuff, virtually all the time, the vocal pan knob would have been left in the "center" position, but one could bring about the "walk off" effect at the end of the ONLY THE LONELY album (original mix only) by merely turning the knob to the left. Voila! Frank's vocal and the reverb gradually migrate to the left part of the mix.
    PultecStereoPannerCropped.jpg

(By the way, I have not personally fiddled with this thing, so if anything is inaccurate, forgive me!)

The Pultec SP-3 was available as a tube model originally, but later was issued in a solid state model, with no change in nomenclature. The photo is the original tube model.

Pretty slick!

I've also included a blurb (below) from the original users manual that speaks to the very sort of thing that was done with Sinatra on this album.

Matt
    Screen shot 2010-07-01 at 12.36.26 PM.png

Sim2, rxcory and Bob Belvedere like this.
  15. MLutthans

Yes, the same thing was done for the SN-series COME DANCE WITH ME. It just used the older SM-series stamper, with the old numbers crossed out.

Matt

16. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Very cool stuff Matt! It reminds me that so much stuff that is taken for granted today was much more of a technical challenge back then.

Great photo too!! It's also a reminder of what makes these Sinatra sound pages so cool!

17. MLutthans

SH.TV member stevelucille recently snail-mailed (remember actual MAIL?) his 7.5 ips 1/4-track reel of SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY so I could copy it to a CD for him, which I was happy to do. The tape was a little mangled in places, but for the tracks that were in good condition, I thought the sound was quite nice. Because IT'S A LONESOME OLD TOWN and SPRING IS HERE were not on the 10-song reel, I went ahead and duped those from the 1983 stereo MFSL LP to create a 12-song CD, and was reminded of something. LONESOME OLD TOWN sounds just fine on the MFSL, but SPRING IS HERE is "drop-out city." It's chock full o'dropouts, start to finish, which got me wondering:

If MFSL was digitally mastering (at least some of) these Sinatra LPs in 1983 (as aural evidence indicates on CLOSE TO YOU), and since MFSL was not in the business of mixing material from the multitracks, what was the source for the stereo mixes of these two tracks that do not exist on the stereo LP master tape, which is presumably a 10-song affair?

Back at post #19, Bob F points out that SPRING IS HERE had been released in stereo in a few compilation albums, but that LONESOME OLD TOWN had no previous stereo compilation release. It had been released in stereo in England in 1976, though, which begs the question:

Were stereo mixes prepared at Capitol in 1958, but just not used? Were new, first-time stereo mixes created in 1963 ("Sings the Select Rodgers and Hart" -- or later if, indeed, that album never appeared in stereo on LP) and 1976 ("One for My Baby," the UK album), and might these stereo mixes have been "lifted" from those albums' assembly masters? (MFSL was doing similar things for the cassette version of MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR in the early '80s.)

I'm just trying to get my mind around the possible provenance of these stereo versions.

Another odd thing: The 1976 UK album has zero dropouts on "Spring Is Here," but the MFSL stereo LP has many.

Weird. Any ideas????

Matt

18. MLutthans

Okay, you Sinatra oldies! I've added brief clips from a reel-to-reel version of this release here and here.

If you were a contributor to our comparison work and can't log in, let me know.

Matt

19. MLutthans

I picked up a sealed (!) copy of the JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS album today. Even the tracks that exist in stereo (such as "Dream" from NICE 'N' EASY) are presented in very pronounced Duophonic. Truly awful. (Based on the label, I would place this release -- or at least this pressing -- at about 1967.)

Matt

(P.S. - If you have any insights regarding the two previous posts, 92 or 93, please chime in!)

(P.P.S.- Mine looks just like the one below, except the logo on the upper left of the cover is the classic Capitol dome logo, not the later "C" logo.

Attached Files:

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Matt, Steve & Arnie Big Thanks for the reel to reel samples, despite the hiss these sound lovely, are these from the same mix or an alternate, whichever it is even with the hiss the quality shines through.

21. MLutthans

The reels use the original stereo mix, and yes, thanks again to Steve and Arne for sharing! (Reel samples can also be heard in the WHERE ARE YOU and COME DANCE WITH ME areas. WHERE ARE YOU uses a unique mix, and is a thing of great beauty, IMO.)

Matt

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Lord! I've had this LP since I was a teenager and cannot remember the last time I played it!!!

23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Matt,

FORGIVE ME IF I"M WRONG...but did you not take the latest MFSL LP of "Only the Lonely" into consideration in your exhaustive comparison?

Fabulous work, BTW and thank you!

24. MLutthans

Yes, I did. Some of my comments included:

<<To my ears, the Japanese pressing is thin and harsh sounding, and the UK is just a little on the cardboard-y side, but not bad, per se. Let’s face it: You can’t go wrong with the mono MFSL releases, either on CD or LP. (Surprisingly, the CD seems ever so slightly darker in vocal tone than the corresponding LP release, something I did not expect. Not better or worse, just a hair darker.)

Of course, you’ll likely never find a gray-label as “clean” as that MFSL disc, which is not only on quiet vinyl, but is beautifully mastered as well. It’s a winner. My strong recommendation: If you like the mono mix of this LP -- and it’s a very nice mix -- get the MFSL mono LP or CD and don’t look back. It’s a gasser! Kudos to... the team at MFSL for getting every last bit of warm tone and subtlety out of those mono session tapes. I can’t say enough good things about their accomplishments on this release.

[One very minor technical caveat should be pointed out for the sake of thorough reporting. There is a very slight “glitch” -- and that’s not even really the right word -- on the MFSL CD, something which MFSL is aware of and which they did on purpose, that being: there was a slight tape flaking on the tape for the final song, and it was not evident on the MFSL LP, but on the CD, the problem was audible, so for 2.6 seconds, the MFSL CD contains a splice from a dupe tape. If that’s enough to keep you from purchasing an otherwise astoundingly well-mastered CD (especially when you consider all the pablum that passes for reissues today), that’s okay. Just get the LP instead!]
    >>

....and in my closing dissection of the three finalists, from which I chose the 1983 MFSL stereo LP to be the winner, the following appears:

<<1. MFSL Mono reissue, 2009. Whether you go with MFSL’s mono LP or mono gold CD, it’s hard to argue against this being the best of all the mono options out there, and the mono mix is quite nice on its own merits. Pros: Mastered from original session tapes; more instrumental detail is presented (in many instances) due to the increased number of microphones; not affected by the technical problems that beset the stereo recording, as the 1/4-inch tape used for mono was well-matched with the tape machines; rich, full, warm tone throughout; it is easily obtainable. Cons: there is a vastness that lends to the “lonely” effect in stereo that is missing in mono; there is a very minor technical glitch at the tail end of the MFSL CD, but it’s nit-picky; the bass drum effect is not conveyed as well on the mono mix as on the stereo mix; the orchestra is presented quite “dry,” making the reverb applied to Sinatra’s vocal mic a bit more obvious, by contrast.

2. MFSL stereo reissue LP, 1983. Pros: Uses the original 2-track mix, the only mix to feature the custom-created opening piano mix and the “exit stage right” finale, two items that were deliberate artistic choices made when the album was first released, and not found on any of the remixes; this is the only LP release to feature all 12 songs in order in stereo; beautiful vocal tone “couched” within a wet, lush orchestra, all in stereo; unlike the remixed CDs (and maybe even some LPs), no attempt was made to filter out the excess noise apparent on the 3-track tapes. Cons: No attempt was made to filter out the excess noise apparent on the 3-track tapes; hard to acquire in good condition; tape damage apparent on one track, “Spring is Here.”

3. Capitol CD, 1987. Pros: Freshly remixed from the three-track stereo session tapes (no damage to “Spring is Here”); aside from some reverb and noise reduction, processing is kept to a minimum (unlike the 1998 Norberg CD); Similar stereo presentation to MFSL (with caveats below); in print in Europe and relatively easy to come by in North America; Cons: Noise reduction clearly in use here -- but I’ve heard worse, and with the technical problems concerning the 1/2-inch tape stock used, NR is somewhat justified, I suppose; In many spots, the reverb becomes a little “soupy;” the “effects” found in the original stereo mix are missing;

Even though the MFSL stereo won almost by default, it really is an excellent sounding disk on its own merits, and my “winner” overall. If you prefer the mono mix, the MFSL mono reissues are fantastic (just not my personal preference). If you prefer CDs, the Walsh disc (also in the 21-CD British box set) is not bad.>>

Matt

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

My humblest apologies! When presented with such mountains of information, I sometimes overlook the very thing I'm seeking out. :sigh: