1906 film coming in 2012 from Disney/Pixar

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by benjaminhuf, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently the disaster genre is not yet dead...

"1906 is an upcoming disaster film directed by Brad Bird and based on events just prior to and during the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The film examines corruption within the then government of San Francisco, as well as the policemen who worked to defeat these criminal activities.

Based on the best-selling novel 1906 by James Dalessandro....

....The film has an estimated budget of $200 million, and because of the massive size and scale of the project, it is also financially backed by Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Pictures, making it the first time Pixar has been involved in live-action film. Pixar executive John Lasseter is also involved.[1][6]

Academy Award-winning director Brad Bird was selected to direct the film, making it his first live-action endeavor after working at Pixar. He paused work on the project to direct the 2007 Pixar film Ratatouille, then officially signed onto the 1906 project in March 2008, when Warner Bros. promptly reserved all sound-studios available on their Burbank lot for production.[1]

However, later that spring, Warner Bros. quietly released the reservations, and Brad Bird has been rewriting the screenplay in order to decrease the massive scope of the story.[6] Much like Titanic, the studios openly admit the film has enormous box office potential, but blogger Jim Hill suggested the film's start date was postponed due to Disney/Pixar and Warner Bros.' nervousness over the projected $200 million budget.[1]

The film is currently set to be largely filmed in Canada.[7]

Attached Files:

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Brad Bird is a bona fide genius. If anybody can pull this one off, he's the guy.

But that is a shame that they have to shoot the damned thing in Canada. That sucks.

3. benjaminhuf

Brad Bird is a smart guy who makes good movies.

But I think maybe Cameron's the guy who could pull this off as a successful and emotional blockbuster. But we all know that JC is busy with his sequel to Avatar. Apparently at one point Cameron was interested in the story of Pompeii, which is somewhat similar as a setting.

Or, maybe they should instead shoot it as an 8 hour miniseries a la Pillars of the Earth.

Perhaps, however, BB can pull it off. Pixar is involved, which is strange, but maybe also good. They have a belief in stories and characters and settings. You need all three in spades to pull this puppy off...And a run time of 3 hours.

4. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I bet Roland Emmerich is kicking himself for not thinking of this one...

5. This is a subject close to me since I'm a San Francisco native resident!!!:eek:

6. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I liked Brad Bird since he was on staff at The Simpsons and director of "The Iron Giant". I was hoping he would do a much-overdue sequel to "The Incredibles" at PIXAR. Why would Disney or Warner flinch at the $200 million costs?

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Maybe, if only for work lost out of country. But I can't imagine shooting it here. San Francisco today bears no resemblance to 1906. Two major bridges for one thing; Coit Tower for another. The only shootable landmarks still here are the Pier 1 Ferry Building and the Palace Hotel. I don't believe the main prison building on Alcatraz was in place by then.

If they shot it here, they'd be years "fixing it in post."

Probably wind up being produced in CG like Sherlock Holmes, huh?

8. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

They should move the Hollywood sign to Vancouver. They must be shooting more films there than Californie these days...? It's an epidemic.

9. benjaminhuf

Yes, but it's such a beautiful city with such nice people. I'm sorry to say it since I'm mostly from So. Cal, but I'd rather be in Vancouver than LA any day--even in Winter.

Split screen of real movies from 1906 showing SF before and after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TaxcXfSwdE&feature=related

Natalie Merchant singing San Andreas Fault with images of the devastation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7OizEdAik

10. benjaminhuf

11. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing Bird try his hand at directing a live action film.

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

You forgot Lotta's Fountain in the financial district....

[​IMG]

where there's a commemorative gathering at 5:12am on April 18th of each year to mark the Great Quake. Here's the gathering on the 100th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake....

[​IMG]

13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Actually the Palace Hotel in existence now isn't the same one. The original was destroyed by the subsequent fire in 1906:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_Hotel,_San_Francisco

14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Now that I think about it, Lotta's Fountain is on Market Street (at the intersection with Kerny Street, right?). I wonder if the fountain can be spotted in that split screen film footage from 1906 linked above.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

You're right, I forgot Lotta's. And you're right on the address, both times; the Financial District more or less covers that general area.

And you're right; I'd forgotten that. The replacement Palace does look much like the original, however.

Still can't imagine doing a location shoot here. This ain't your father's San Francisco.

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

If anyone can pull this off, Mr. Bird and co. are just the people to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.