The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Query regarding UK pressing of "Concert Sinatra"

I wonder if Martin or Bob can help me with some info regarding an LP I bought for 99 pence ($1.55) off of E Bay.

Today I recieved what I think is a 1960's UK pressing of "The Concert Sinatra" LP, its in great condition for its age, it has the "Angry Frank" label, in the centre grooves it has R1009 - A1 WMH & R1009-B1 WMH, it also has 2 Sleeves each with the folds on the outside as UK albums of the time did, the first contains the LP and on the spine it says "The Concert Sinatra" it also has a big white Box over what would be the rear cover picture containing writing titled "About The Recording" by Raymond V. Pepe Institute of High Fidelity Inc. The next Sleeve is the full size front cover but with no slot to slide the record into, on the spine it says "Arranged And Conducted By Nelson Riddle", each sleeve contains a different essay on the back, and above all it sounds wonderful.

Have I done well with this find?

2. hodgo

RE: Query regarding UK pressing of "Concert Sinatra"

Sat listening to this LP today and looking at the covers I realised this is actually a gategold sleeve that's come apart, so I've carefully stuck it back together and now you have the front & back pictures on the outside, open up the gatefold sleeve and there's an essay printed on a white background on either side of the open gatefold.

3. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Can't go wrong for 99p. It's a good album, generally considered one of Sinatra's best Reprise era recordings, with a superb version of Ol' Man River, although personally I haven't warmed to those big showtune arrangements yet. You've bought the mono mix, which I haven't heard. I have a later UK stereo issue.

Interesting recording, at the film studio stage, using 21 tracks onto 35mm film. The subsequent mix down to 2-track stereo has come in for some criticism over the years and I daresay it would benefit from a remix using the original multi-tracks.

Sounds like you got a nice deal, apart from the damaged cover, although it doesn't have a high value on the used vinyl market.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Re: "The Concert Sinatra" gatefold sleeve

Graham, That's how the original LP (Reprise R9-1009) was packaged in the US. It's not UK-specific. The liner notes by Lawrence D. Stewart occupy both pages of the inside gatefold. The "About the Recording" blurb by Raymond V. Pepe (President of the Institute of High Fidelity, Inc.) is on the back cover.

Note that the front and back covers are all part of one single photograph, cropped to appear as if taken by a wide-angle lens, which continues across the spine. That panoramic view of the Goldwyn Studios soundstage is quite impressive. The effect is lost in the Reprise and Universal CDs in jewel cases. (In the original Reprise CD, the front photo is cut off at the bottom, and the back half isn't even shown. In the Reprise EOTC and UMG reissues, the back is cut off at the bottom.) The recent Universal Japan SHM-CD reissue replicates the gatefold LP accurately and beautifully.

This is the uncropped Ted Allan source photo (from mptv.net):

[​IMG]

5. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

"Bewitched," in particular, is over-orchestrated. But the other tracks are stupendous.

6. hodgo

Thanks for the info Scott & Bob, I really have struck it lucky with this find, the condition of the LP itself is incredible for it's age with hardly a mark or crackle on it when playing.

I've now figured out how the sleeve goes together and have glued it carefully back together and its now as good as new, as Bob says that whole picture is quite impressive and makes for a wonderful LP cover.

When I placed the order, I thought 99p it'll be in lousy condition but it's only cheap I'll give it a go, when I opened it looked at it and saw the spotless vinyl I couldn't believe it, then when playing it my jaw dropped on hearing how quiet it is.

Bob it does say on the record label "Made in England", on Cover it says "Distributed By Pye Records (Sales) LTD, A.T.V House, GT, Cumberland Place, London W.1" it also say's "Printed and Made by Garrod & Lofthouse Ltd. Patents Pending", It also has the glued together edges on the outside as was common with UK releases, in the USA weren't they on the inside out of sight.

Do the inner ring codes of R1009 - A1 WMH & R1009-B1 WMH signfy this is an early pressing

Whatever the case this has taken pride of place in my collection.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

My wife and I jokingly refer to this (THE CONCERT SINATRA) as the "big finish" album. I think the arrangements are fabulous on their own terms, but when song after song after song concludes with a big, built-up crescendo of a climax, it's a bit much. Each one individually is great, but as a collection I think it gets repetitious. (I got e-stoned for saying a similar thing about A SWINGIN' AFFAIR, here, in which 11 of 15 songs follow an identical arrangement pattern. By the third or fourth song, I've mentally "checked out," and the same thing happens with THE CONCERT SINATRA, although -- to reiterate -- each song on its own is stupendously good, IMO.)

The sound should be world's ahead of what we've ever been allowed to hear. There's some of my drooling blather about that, here.

Matt

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  8. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

You've hit the nail on the head - a few too many of those big climaxes and I'm quickly finished off. Oo-err missus!

9. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Very interesting discussion on the CD. I hadn't seen that before. I especially liked the War And Peace bit at the end:righton:

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

CORRECTION: This is a NEW compilation, with 16 instead of 21 tracks. See thread: [thread=229064]Golden Anniversary of the Rat Pack[/thread].

11. THAT particular orchestration was originally recorded in 1957 for the "Pal Joey" soundtrack album by Frank and Nelson, then recycled for "The Concert Sinatra" 6 years later!!!:wave:

12. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

sorry: those are 2 very different arrangements. the '57 one quite soft and subtle, the latter one quite baroque.

13. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I didn't know where to Post this...

But how are they going to post THIS to me from across the pond? LOL!

Apparently now available for the first time a Sinatra Estate authorised "Life Sized Stand-Up Of Frank" very handsome too, I must say.

lifesize Sinatra tiny.jpg

14. hodgo

Time to get a joiner in Tina to get the letterbox on your front door enlarged. :laugh:

15. beachbum

beachbum Active Member

A late comer to Sinatra and now a person who wished i would have seen him live and now collecting his vinyl lps i need some help. My favorite songs or on the CD Reprise The Very Good Years from 1991 and i'm working on getting vinyl of the songs
    1. The Last Dance
    2. Night And Day
    3. I Get A Kick Out Of You
    4. Luck Be A Lady
    5. The Way You Look Tonight
    6. My Kind Of Town
    7. The Best Is Yet To Come
    8. Fly Me To The Moon
    I dont know if the versions on the CD are available on vinyl but man Luck Be A Lady Tonight and The Best Is Yet To Come give me goose bumps any help finding these songs on vinyl would be very much appreciated.

16. Richard Galloway

Richard Galloway New Member

They can be found on vinyl on these original albums, lots of debate across the site as to which issue sounds better -

1. The Reprise Collection - 6LP Edition, contains all the songs but this is unique to it.
    2. Sinatra and Strings
    3. Sinatra and Swingin' Brass
    4. Guys and Dolls Reprise repetory Theater or My Kind of Broadway or Sinatra '65 (both are compilations)
    5. Sinatra Sings Academy Award Winners or My Kind of Broadway
    6. Robin and the 7 Hoods Soundtrack or Sinatra '65
    7. It Might as Well be Swing
    8. As Above

17. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Just a quickie...

Off the top of my head Frank did a couple of " Disco " style mixes of previous recordings " Night And Day" - " All Or Nothing At All "

What else did he do that I may have forgotten about?

Frank was always ahead of his time, and kept up with current trends etc so can anyone think of a Frank song that would easily fit into today's music chart.

I know Mint Royale recorded a remix of "This Town" which I actually quite liked, maybe something a little more obscure like " My Way Of Life" could fit in with today's music with a little "Tweaking" I don't know,

Any thoughts ?

18. solomon

solomon Forum Resident

Come Fly Away Musical Soundtrack Question

I hope this hasn't been covered but I did try a search on these terms and the results were voluminous.

I just got back from a trip to Manhattan where I stopped in the Broadway souvenir shops and got the last copy they had of the CD soundtrack for "Come Fly Away: A New Musical Love Affair".

The 16 tracks it contains all sound different from the originals, different vocals, different instrumentals. Can anyone point me to a description of the vocal takes and dates for the recordings used? I'm pretty fastidious about logging my Sinatra collection details and the liner notes were poor.

Thanks!

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

See [post=5435524]post #749[/post] in this thread.

Note that it's not really the "soundtrack" from the show. It states on the back cover that these are the original studio recordings.

As stated earlier, I believe these are in fact all the original Reprise (plus some Capitol) studio takes, possibly remixed (which may account for apparent sonic differences), with one exception:

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The Riddle (Slatkin) version of "The Last Dance" was first issued on the 4 disc Reprise Years compilation, and the 1 disc distillation of it that you have. There is a vinyl version of the box from Europe and a U.S. 7" 45 of the song. I doubt they're anything special sonically though.

For the '61 "Night and Day", try to find a mint 2nd issue stereo LP of SINATRA AND STRINGS. There's a few variants of the same basic label, so just look for a copy with a 3 color label that also credits Warners at the bottom of the labels. I also have a w7 2 color label that's OK, but once you start getting into the later copies (1970+ label variants) with the square Reprise logo on the labels, you may end up with the remix (which is what you hear on your 1 disc compilation). I prefer the original stereo mix. The original "R9" pressings (pre Warner era) aren't mastered as well as the 2nds+.

The best sounding "Luck Be a Lady" is on the Reprise Repetory Theater GUYS AND DOLLS vinyl, mono and stereo. The song is not exactly hi-fi demo material, but the LPs of this album present the song best. Amazing performance and arrangement that really transformed the song from something that usually sounded like a novelty into a classic. One of Frank's best records ever.

Try to find the DCC Gold CD of ROBIN AND THE 7 HOODS for "My Kind of Town". Steve did an amazing job mixing and mastering that album.

Be sure to also get the '98 CD of IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SWING for #7-8. I believe the current Universal CD from Europe is the same, sonically. It's better than any previous release due to a better, higher fidelity mix made for it compared to either the original stereo or mono mixes. Even though the bass was jacked up, etc., it still sounds good.

21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Came across this scan of a Polish Sinatra LP today, and I had to wonder who they were using as a model!

[​IMG]

22. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Well it WAS the " Radio Years " no one knew what Frank looked like LOL!

It even looks worse than the "likeness" found in the Caricature thread and that is saying something LOL!

MMM likes this.
  23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Harry Anderson is quite the crooner.[​IMG]

24. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Well it reminds me of someone, I just can't think who though.

It's on the tip of my tongue and no I don't mean the Sinatra Stamp LOL!

Added: He to me looks a lot like Nicolas Cage.

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's this guy, when he was younger. (And this is an official Capitol LP!)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.