Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I wouldn’t agree that “older is better” generalization for classical CD’s. In fact, the opposite is typically the case, IMHO. The classical labels got on the CD bandwagon early and a lot of those 80's discs suffer from steep, brickwalled digital filters for digital recordings or early AtoD converters for analog transfers. A lot of the big label remasters that claim high-rez mastering either for redbook or SACD’s really are better sounding with extended high frequencies. And unlike pop/rock remasters, classical remasters typically don’t brickwall. There are always exceptions, of course. When it comes to transfers from vinyl, the big labels often get it wrong due to excessive noise reduction.

I wouldn’t make this generalization, as there are good and bad recordings/performances on both the big labels and the small ones. And there are some small labels which are exclusively audiophile grade releases - but you may not care for the performances. My recommendation is to look for recommended recordings for the work that you want, regardless of label, and you can usually avoid bad recordings. And over time, as your collection grows, you’ll learn how to compare your tastes and preferences to those who are making recommendation.

2. Itzhak Perlman is joining the Phil for a bill that includes Mendelssohn, Strauss, Hindemith.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Mit Schmaltz!

If you can manage it, get Sony's Bernstein DSD box of the older recordings from his years at Columbia Records. The Second, Third, Sixth and Seventh are are close to definitive as it gets, the rest ain't exactly chopped liver either.

4. Now playing:

[​IMG]

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member Thread Starter

These soloists are on my future playlist, there's still a long way to go, I've listened to less than 1/4 of the set contents so far... :wave:

Recently finished listening to the orchestral works, I think most of them were very good, I really adore those played by Consort of London and Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum (the latter is my favorite Bach ensemble on modern instruments).

6. Bronth

Huh, you're my brain scanner. :laugh: Bernstein's Sony cycle is the top pick in my current wish-list for a Mahler set by a single conductor. And the packaging is pretty cute, according to pics posted across the web... :love:

But here's my next Mahler purchase which is destined to complete my own "Mahler - The Bronth Edition" set. It's by Lenny too, although as a pianist, not conductor. What can even the most sophisticated Mahler cycle do without a hint of his schmaltz? :agree: :laugh:

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD2 from this set for a first listen ...

Attached Files:

8. coopmv

Ever since I first listened to works of JS Bach performed by Trevor Pinnock/English Concert and Christopher Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music over twenty years ago, it has become quite difficult to go back to performances on modern instruments except for an occasional nostalgia for some recordings by ASMIF such as these ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

Live recording, Berlin 1952

10. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

How is Sabine Meyer Wind Ensemble's Mozart wind serenades set on EMI? How is Yoel Levi's Mahler 4th of Telarc?

11. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

if you like that, there's a 1968 live performance of mahler songs including the ruckert lieder & songs of a wayfarer from nyc by fischer-dieskau with bernstein playing piano that's really special. i have it on a myto disc but i think there are other editions.

13. Bronth

Thanks for thumbs up, I'll try to check these Lieder too... :wave:

14. Mogul

Mogul Forum Resident

Wow, that's a lot of fortepiano to listen to!

15. Bronth

Everybody seems to have his/her first imprint version of preference, mine was this one (on chrome cassettes, not LPs; they are still alive, although I re-bought some of these concertos on CD):

Attached Files:

16. coopmv

Now playing this SACD for a first listen on my big rig ...

[​IMG]

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One of the best Ninths ever. Period. :cheers:

18. George P

George P Notable Member

19. coopmv

20. George P

George P Notable Member

IMO, it is the best.

21. coopmv

And I don't have this recording ... :o

22. coopmv

As unusal, the etailer that has blown many CD's into your and my house also has the best deal for this CD ... :winkgrin:

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Cool.

24. coopmv

Now playing this BIS SACD for a first listen. I was again very lucky to have bought the recording at Presto at a great price, as Amazon wants $46 for this recording ... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

25. Mogul

Mogul Forum Resident

Listening to this tonight:

[​IMG]

I really need to grab the rest of these Living Stereo SACDs while I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.