Neil Young recording with Daniel Lanois-"Le Noise" out 9/28*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregK, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member

The 3 media reviews posted in #222 were very strong.

2. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

That's my problem with the album, it feels like one big tease, i kept waiting for crazy horse to kick in!, i could imagine "talbot, "molina" & "pancho" listening to this album and imagine what could have been. :)

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I'm sure we'll find out when they tour again. You know how Neil has to put a live album out every 4th album.

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I gave the streaming audio a listen in the link posted a few pages back. Interesting, yet I agree that a full band approach would be more "fulfilling" . I'll probably by the cd for the sonic trip.

5. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

You must have missed him on his solo tour. From what I've heard streaming so far (and I will have a full review of the vinyl), it sounds very much like what I heard at the live show. If you haven't seen the tour, I can imagine how the songs might seem incomplete.

6. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Unfortunately (for me) i haven't seen the recent tour but i heard some of the gigs (thank you internet) and indeed it sounds terrific but still i think with "crazy horse" it could have been even better but i guess will never know...

BTW i love your blog and always look forward for new reviews, my record store will be getting the vinyl of "le noise" tomorrow so i look forward for your opinion. :righton:

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I thought the poster was referring to reviews in actual publications. I wouldn't expect anyone here to give a positive review to much of anything, which is why all the glowing statements have been surprising.

Plus, a lot of those "reviews" were based on streaming.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Why is that?

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Streaming is nothing like what it was a year ago. Video or audio.

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Maybe so. But it seems to be those with the actual discs that are raving about it, while the streamers were negative.

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i saw neil young solo last night and i was disappointed that i dug allen touissant more. my first "dry show" ever. no alcohol, soft drinks, water, etc... nada.... they were filming, i presume for a live dvd. touissant 8/10, young 6/10. overall enjoyable, but with some serious wtf moments. even neil said after the fourth or fifth song, "gosh these are some sad songs..." i'd go again, but with different expectations.

12. GregK

GregK I'm speechless Thread Starter

what?? his last current live album was 9 albums ago, Road Rock from 2000! There were some Archival releases but they were historical in nature. I don't think Neil overdoes it when it comes to live releases like some others do.

13. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

I'm looking forward to hearing the vinyl--I'm confident that Chris Bellman did the best with what he was given. And thanks for the kind words, Dr.

14. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I guess I forgot to put the wink/just kidding smiley face at the end. :winkgrin:

If Neil and Crazy Horse go on the road again. Lets hope they do some of these songs. I love the album. I bought it Thursday and have been cranking it in the car all weekend so I don't annoy the wife. :)

:wave:

15. A couple of favourite moments so far... :)

The opening chord of Walk With Me ... what a statement!
    Also from Walk With Me, about 3:20 onward with the "Hendrexian" seagull cries giving passage to a funky old/new shuffle beat.

The voice falter with the word "lost" at around 2:18 of Peaceful Valley Boulevard and the way it kinda sounds like an On The Beach session.

16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

17. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Anyone notice some similarity of the tune Sign of Love to Mirrorball's Act of Love? Little slower tempo but similar chords maybe? Maybe that was on purpose.

18. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Curious about the drug-infused lyrics to the curiously named, "Peaceful Valley Boulevard". It sounds like another bio tune about his time with Buffalo Springfield and his career directly thereafter. His lyrical progression from earthy, green pot to the destruction that cocaine caused him is brilliant. Oh, and it's a just a great song. Great song.

19. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Sorry, I was thinking about "Somebody's Gonna Rescue You" but I missed the deadline to fix my post.

20. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

You can bet that Ted will give an unbiased and well considered review of the vinyl on his blog.

21. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Bought the CD at Target on my way to work. $13.99. Might have to pick up the vinyl but the price is scaring me. Enjoying this record more than anything he's done since Greendale (which I really liked).

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

$11.99 on sale at Target, so I picked up a copy on cd.

23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

This is interesting. It was $13.99 at one Target, $11.99 at another, and it is not in their sales paper nor anywhere on their website.

24. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Album of the year.

25. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Picked it up this afternoon, and my first impression is better than usual for Young. (His albums hardly ever sweep me off my feet on the very first listen.) I think this is destined to be among my top ten of his albums eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.