Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i got Gulda's Decca Beethoven box Saturday (11 cds-i paid $35.95 used)
    & have gotten as far as the 3d cd.i'm liking the playing & the recording isn't
    bad, but the hiss seems unusually high-level.

Attached Files:

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Sounds like you actively like Brahms. The Toscanini cycle with the Philharmonia is well performed and better recorded than the NBC cycle. The NBC cycle is still worth having if only for Toscanini's extraordinary performance of the Fourth Symphony. I've heard everything else on your list save Chailly & Pretre. I'd add Kurt Sanderling's Staatskapelle Dresden recordings on Eurodisc for a well-recorded mainstream account. In addition to Wilhelm Furtwängler's extraordinary Hamburg account of Brahms First one cannot forget his account of the Second Symphony with the Vienna Philharmonic on January 28, 1945—the tempo of the finale is so extreme, one imagines the maestro is mentally already on the train out of occupied territory. Fortunately, both the Hamburg First and the Vienna Second are on the most recent Music and Arts collect of Furtwängler's Brahms. While Bruno Walter's mono NYPO are a thing of beauty—except the SQ, which is not—his stereo remake of the Third with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra [mainly the LA Phil with Hollywood ringers] is exceptional.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member Thread Starter

Now playing for a first listen:

Rossini Rarities from the Caballe Original Jacket Collection set.

Attached Files:

4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Oh yes! I remember now this incredible beginning of the finale of the 3rd in Walter's latest recording: so intense! Amazing!

And Furtwaengler of course!

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

As a special case, let me offer that the recording of the 2d Sym. by Max Fiedler (yes, Max--not Arthur) with the Berlin PO is the single most idiomatic example of Brahms playing I know. The same conductor's account of the 4th sym. I found not to reach the same level. He also recorded the 2d piano cto. with Elly Ney, a set much sought by collectors. All were originally issued on Polydor ca. 1930; I have the cto. on that label and the syms. on Brunswick, which is how they appeared in the US through a licensing arrangement.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm a Road Runner

I don't know if the finale of Furtwängler's 1945 VPO performance of Brahms Second is idiomatic, but it sure is intense. And Fast?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Is that the one on that Music and Arts set that compiles Furts Brahms symphonies?

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I understand the decisions behind the marketing, and the choices they make as to which artists to push, but I started to get the sense that artists were being picked because of sex appeal. This kind of thing (see below -- Julia Fischer) I'm done with.

That said, apparently they picked up Lisa Batiashvili recently, as photogenic a violinist as there is, but also one whose musicianship is top-notch.

Attached Files:

• 00.jpg
      00.jpg
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
  9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Yeah, I am not an LP collector, but I love CD reissues, e.g.:

Attached Files:

• 00.jpg
      00.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

I wonder what he'll bring for Christmas this year. ;)

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yup—with the Hamburg First as well.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Invective. After all, he is said once to have departed a party with the remark, "If there is anyone here tonight that I have not insulted, I apologize!"

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I had missed it, but it looks fantastic. Adios to the teeny violinists! Bring back Heifetz!

15. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Have you heard their recordings of the Brahms piano quartets and piano quintet?

17. john greenwood

You don't like his Haydn? I beg to differ (strongly).

18. john greenwood

The HvK set (from the 70's) is decidedly unspectacular. Brahms ranks with Bach as my favorite composers overall. My two favorite symphony cycles at the moment are Szell and (newly discovered by me) Klemperer. Very different as you might guess. Also try the piano concertos with Fleisher.

Actually my favorite Brahms is his chamber music. I mentioned the piano quartets and quintet in another post today. If you want romantacism, start with the piano quintet. Also the piano trio, Op. 8 and the clarinet quintet (which is the equal of Mozart's).

Interestingly, on Friday, I heard for the first time Schoenberg's orchestration of the Brahms piano quartet, Op. 25 (at City Ballet - a Balanchine masterpiece). What was so strange is that the orchestation is so un-Brahmsian - both my guest and I commented that it sounded more like Tchaikovsky.

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Another recording well worth seeking out is the piano quintet account by Victor Aller and the Hollywood Quartet, originally issued on Capitol LPs. Note: this is from the mono LP period.

20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have heard of her before but I already have many versions of Bach Partitas which I cannot imagine she can surpass.

21. coopmv

The WTC by Rosayln Tureck is one of the best versions available and I thoroughly enjoyed that 4-CD DG set ...

22. coopmv

But you are not referring to the Richter's version on the RCA Gold Seal. Yes?

23. coopmv

They should create some crossover music such as the Beethoven 5th disco for those who cannot fully cope with the real classical music.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I am referring to the Gold seal. Unlike others, I am not really bothere by the sound.

25. coopmv

Or based on nationality since DG wants to sell to a market with 1.3B people ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.