Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So I already own 2 versions of WTC that have received your blessing. The Feinberg version should be in my collection in a few weeks ... :winkgrin:

2. coopmv

I probably have no more than 2 or 3 recordings by Heifetz, though I have many recordings by such old-timers as Szeryng, Milstein and Grumiaux ...

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Now that you have an SACD-capable player, you should look at the Heifetz Living Stereo discs. There are either 5 or 6 IIRC.

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. The Nocturnes I have are remastered and sound very nice to my ears, but I'm not sure if the recordings in this box are the original or remastered versions. If not remastered then I might just pick up the individual remasters of the Waltzes, Pollonaises, and Ballades.

There's a 16CD Chopin collection by Ohlsson on Hyperion that may be worth picking up as well ...

--Geoff

5. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

i'm a huge tureck fan... her goldberg variations on vai (the '80 performance) is truly revelatory and completely agree with the penguin guide that it's a dessert island disc... let me just add that there's a later tureck 'live' cycle of the 48 on bbc that i'd also recommend. i haven't compared them directly but it's reputed to be a bit more spontaneous and i can tell you it's an amazing performance. by the way, on the recommendation of others here i just ordered the feinberg set on a russian 'classical records' label on the bay for $25 (it's on 3 discs).

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I will check the info on my booklet later and let you know. If I forget, feel free to PM me.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Unfortunately, the sound on that set is more filtered than the one I linked to earlier. On the other hand, the price is less than half for the one in better sound.

8. coopmv

I just bought 7 of Tureck's CD's on VAI 2 months ago. She was the ultimate Bach interpreter of her generation and Glenn Gould actually considered her as his spiritual mentor ...

9. coopmv

Now playing CD10, the last CD from this set ...

[​IMG]

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

11. coopmv

It certainly offers excellent values. The following recording is the only recording I have by Bach Collegium Japan and it is quite good but that does not give me enough exposure to make any recommendation on this set ...

[​IMG]

12. coopmv

I already have the Beethoven and Dvorak SACD titles by Heifetz on Living Stereo. Unfortunately, I really do not like a CD with works by multiple composers and it seems all of Heifetz's LS SACD recordings fall into this category ...

13. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am not George and have not much to compare it with, but from a first glimpse this afternoon it sounds very nice.

Jacob's Die Zauberflöte gets better with each spin. This is cinema for the mind...

14. Baron Von Talbot

add the lovely Motets by Suzuki, that wont his years Preis Der Schallplattenkritik and have an otherworldly beauty and outstanding sound quality imo .it is most likely that this BIS CD will be of high standard and quality, too.
    When was it released ?

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok. The Box set has this info:

Digitally Remastered by Max Wilcox except Disc 11

Disc 11 Digitally remastered by Nathaniel Johnson Disc to tape transfer by Ward Marston

All Discs remastered at BMG/RCA Studios, New York City

Produced and Copyright 2002

16. coopmv

The CD's released by BIS have consistently enjoyed outstanding SQ.

17. coopmv

Gulda's WTC is good but not exceptionally good like the three versions George has suggested ...

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

and received the top ranking from the french magazine "Classica" this month!

19. coopmv

Now playing CD6 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Received and listened to Ivan Moravec's Supraphon CD with Chopin's Préludes today, and I must say that I'm not impressed. I don't want to offend anyone, but I found his playing flat and tame (for want of a better description). It totally left me cold. The sound quality is excellent.

21. Baron Von Talbot

I am listening to this strange old lady playing wonderful piano. Any fans of her around, anecdotes etc.? It was on TESTAMENT, so i gave it a try, sounds great in every aspect, even sound quality.
    FAURE - Germaine Thyssens-Valentin

Another real corker (excuse my television seller jargon) is that lovely 7CD package in honor of the long time and far too early passed away classical vocalist Fritz Wunderlich. Took me some time to adjust to, but once you enter that zone it is hard not to be deeply impressed esp The Wiener Lieder CD ( CD7 ) is a stunner..

Attached Files:

22. coopmv

George,

Are you familiar with Germaine Thyssens-Valentin?
    I have seen her recordings around but have yet to pull the trigger ...

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, I compared 26 different performances of the Chopin Preludes earlier this year and thought that Moravec performance was one of the best. In fact, I find it second only to Sokolov's on Naive.

Just goes to show you how subjective all this stuff is.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

We went out a few times, but then she moved away and we didn't really stay in touch. I've thought of visiting her, but I have changed a lot and doubt we'd have much in common anymore.

;)

Seriously, I have one of those Faure Testament CDs and neither the sound nor the performance impressed me much. I know others love her, but I have so far not figured out why.

Far better is Collard's Faure, IMO.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Julia Fischer.

Most overrated violinist of our time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.