Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Found this OP CD of Dvorak's Sixth Symphony with the London Symphony Orchestra led by István Kertész, with the Symphonic Variations as "filler." It's still my favorite performance. Amazed at how good this old transfer—it's from 1987—sounds. Of course, Decca was the first major to use high-bit [in this case 18 bit] recorders.

Attached Files:

3. coopmv

I would put Hilary Hahn in the same league. In truth, neither of them is better than the old masters such as Szeryng, Grumiaux, Milstein and Heifetz, etc. They are no better than Mullova or Mutter either ...

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep, amazing, isn't it. It seems we like different styles. For instance, you love Annie Fischer's Beethoven sonatas set, while I didn't like her playing at all - admittedly, I listened to crappy sound samples, but still.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Very true.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one too.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Mullova is in another league compared to the others mentioned, IMO.

But Carmignola definitely is, that guy is too good. One day people will speak of him as they now do of the great violinists of the past. I LOVE his stuff and I don't even really like the violin.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And I like her better now than anyone else, with the possible exception of Richter. One thing, she doesn't hide the seams or make the rough parts plain. But that reminds me a lot of what I like about Schnabel, a refusal to turn avant-garde music into something polite. Beethoven's piano sonatas might be core repertoire now but they were controversial when new.

9. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

The 2 Vivaldi discs I have by him are mind blowing.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Just when I had thought that Vivaldi was boring.

His Bach violin sonatas are heavenly.

11. coopmv

Agree. Carmignola can make his violin sing ... :righton:

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning. Anyone else have it?

alfen.jpg

13. coopmv

I have recordings by Atterberg and Rangstrom but not by Alfvén. I will probably start collecting works by Gade at some point.

14. coopmv

BTW, How is upstate NY?

15. Rose River Bear

Great. A big difference from the Philly area where I worked for my entire career. I love it here. Lots of open space, streams, lakes etc etc.
    Heading to Maine in a couple weeks. Will probably stop in Conn and Mass also. :cheers:

16. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning. David Hurwitz thinks it is the best overall performances of the Rach PCs ever recorded. After listening for a couple years, I have to finally agree with him considering the most recent recordings by other performers.

rach.jpg

17. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

just curious, whereabouts? i grew up upstate, went to school there, and lived both upstate & downstate before finally ending up in toronto. be well!

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

seems you are a real maverick then.
    Never read more uniform and easily to understand and agree upon praise on any artist than this dutch lady!!! Her faure is outstanding and this is a fact, that every critic so far agrees upon.
    I guess you simply look for other values in piano readings than most others, me included. What is to like about her style ? Well my english is way too limited so I will let this guy speak for me then..

The music is always superbly phrased and emerges as marvelously argued masterpieces of subtle shifts in colors and hues and subtle shifts in atmospheres, moods and emotions; what is, perhaps, most striking about Thyssens- Valentin's performances is the fabulously realized intimacy of the music. And equally miraculous is the sheer beauty of her sound, the songfulness, the delicacy of touch (required to realizes all the delicate colors that are there) and refined rhythmic sensibility. The Barcarolles exhibit many of the virtues of the Nocturnes (though aren't generally quite in their league), intimate and understated expressions of mixed, almost elusive emotions, tender and songful but not without touches of humor. They are suitably coupled with the rare, wonderful Theme & Variations, in which the subtly diverse variations are marvelously characterized, each and everyone with its own characteristic mood
    from this review -http://www.amazon.com/Fauré-13-Barcarolles-Thème-Variations/dp/B00005T7J6/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

From classics-today.com on the other Tetament Faure Thyssens disc
    on her style by Jed Distlet - CLASSICS TODAY RATING 10 for artistic value 5 for sound
    particularly struck by the pianist's spare use of the sustain pedal: in the Sixth Nocturne's central section, for example, she achieves ravishingly shaded legato effects largely by fingerwork alone, and in the First Nocturne she takes trouble to distinguish the running 16th-note theme's legato phrase against the subsequent staccato notes at the end of the measure. What's important is how all these details sound so natural and inevitable in Thyssens-Valentin's hands, as if you couldn't interpret these pieces any other way. There are other ways to play Fauré, of course, but Thyssens-Valentin creates a sound world that transports you beyond the notes into the composer's fragile soul.

I couldn't explain my impressions or love for a certain piece and then hearing from George that it lacks whatever and i should check out 3or 4 other completely unknown dead persons instead used to upset me; but by now I take it for what it is - he simply likes a different style of music, when it comes to piano for whatever reasons whenever the music becomes mellow and too beautiful , touching and soulful I can be sure it ain't for Georg P.
    If not and we both agree upon something (not sure this has happened yet on a piano recording ? ) it happens to be by a certain artist he probably respects for something else.
    As i once said jokingly if he dislikes something I am pretty sure this is probably something for me..LOL..

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=5653

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Is that what makes you like her? The fact that every critic agrees she's great? I tend to go by my own ears. I guess you can add this to the ways in which we differ.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Why would what I enjoy upset you? What you enjoy sure doesn't upset me.

Wrong.

Not sure why we need to agree on anything or why that seems to matter so much to you. We are, after all, two different people.

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i have around 90 of the DG Originals & some other DG cd reissues that
    show the original LP covers.i pay $1 (or sometimes less) for LPs that
    are in decent shape-so far i have close to 150 single LPs & around 20
    box sets.

22. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I would consider my opinions pretty weak and if I always agreed with someone else, the critics or the masses. I find it best to learn or come to understand someone’s palate, wether it’s music, movie, wine, etc. And in doing so, I can make better choices and observations based on their comments.

23. GreenDrazi

I happen to like Julia Fischer. I think her Bach Sonatas & Partitas release is lovely. And I don’t think that you could claim that the Pentatone label pimped her out. Decca signs her to a new contract, so sure, they are going to maximize their investment.

Is she over rated? I certainly like some her early recordings better than most of what Mutter released with the turgid Karajan/BP.

Attached Files:

24. GreenDrazi

Walter Murphy?
    Hooked on Classics?
    Please not again. :D

If the 3 tenors, hot looking men/women performers or "light" performers just playing the hits bring people back to classical music, I’m all for it. You, nor I have to buy it. I’m astounded by the dismal sales numbers that the classical music generates in this country and I fear the worse.

25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Agree on the Bach. I have four versions of the Sonatas and Partitas. Hers is the most romantic, and I enjoy it for that. I also enjoy her disc of Mendelssohn Trios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.