SH Spotlight Do you want to hear two amazing RCA-Victor 78s from 1932? Ted Weems, Isham Jones..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

Here's one.

I thought they were made from 1925-35 in the US.Japan may have pressed them as late as '39.

Anybody got any Program Transcriptions? Unfortuately I only have one Stokowski.

2. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I've never even seen a program transcription record of that type. I have, however, heard the McMurdo Silver radio in all its glory-- with the 18" Jensen speaker. It made AM sound like high quality FM.

Try to find more Stokowski from this period. This was before he started heavily 'interpreting' the works under his baton.

3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I was always under the impression that Victor used the Trinity Church Studio only for classical recordings. It never occurred to me that popular recordings were waxed there as well.
    The church was still standing near the old Nipper building the last time I was in Camden, several years ago. It may be gone now.

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I agree Kat. :righton:

5. chiagerald

chiagerald Forum Resident

I've always thought that 78s sound dreadful... this is indeed a paradigm shift!

6. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Very nice sound and even better music!
    Thanks for sharing.

- Sushimaster

7. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Simply stunning!

8. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

How much of the sound quality is owing to the format itself: more media per second of playback, and having a whole side for only 2:00 minutes or so of recording?

10. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Sounds wonderful! :righton:

11. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

See I guess there is something to be said about recording in a Baptist church! :)

I am amazed that, even on my laptop speakers, how GREAT those youtube videos sounded. You DO realize Steve that you are FORCING me to begin collecting pre-war swing 78's (not to mention a 78's rig!!). I guess it all comes down to mic placement, human ears, and trial and error (and a great sounding room).

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It's a very satisfying form of music collecting. Especially because clean Victor and Columbia ORIGINAL dance band records from the 1920's are still very undervalued. Maybe 10 bucks a record for a mint scroll Victor goodie like the Ted Weems record in the first example.

13. Vinylsoul 1965

Wow...that does seem like a lot of fun. You should start a thread Steve on your top twenty 78's :)

14. il pleut

il pleut New Member

Also it's a lot of stuff that has never been reissued on LP or CD because it doesn't have the proper jazz pedigree or whatever. I love that early pre-swing era dance band stuff, even the "sweet" bands are great to hear.

15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Wonderful - both the quality and music. Listen how tight these bands are. I get an ache inside thinking how much great music has passed by already. I may need a few more lifetimes to absorb & indulge it all.

16. Kudos and thanks to Steve for letting the cat outta the bag and posting those links...what wonderful audio chestnuts to hear!!!:edthumbs:

17. il pleut

il pleut New Member

18. Vinylsoul 1965

Truer words have never been spoken! I feel the same way :)

19. Vinylsoul 1965

20. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Me too. :thumbsup:

Particularly outstanding (and influential) jazz oriented bands of pre- and early-swing were Fletcher Henderson and Glenn Gray and His Casa Loma Orchestra, so if you're not familiar, check them out. For Gray, there's a Best of the Big Bands comp on Columbia which, while not all we'd wish for in mastering, might be easy to get and offers a sample of the range so to speak. Novelties, ballads, 'hot', vocal, instrumental.

Many other bands from then were all but completely forgotten by the '40s. Styles developed, trends took hold and certain influences worked deep (three words: Armstrong, Crosby and Goodman). Which was great in its ways; who knows you might prefer the swing and post-swing era, but it's informing (and a great pleasure) to dig where that came from. One can find many gems and the musicianship and feel is typically bliss to hear. When we can stand the sound; as this thread illustrates only so much of that is inherent and much is due to how we have typically heard it.

Beware that there are loads of crappy sounding reissues and vast amounts of original discs that look fine but have been ruined by destructive playback. Obviously, if you play original discs please be mindful to only play them in a non-destructive method so it can go on offering the pleasure to future listeners. It's sad how people have (physically and in perceptions) trashed so very much of that era.

21. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

I'm astonished that such high quality sound was produced 80 years ago. This is fascinating!

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Another fine orchestra from this period was that of Erskine Hawkins (of 'Tuxedo Junction' fame). I haven't come across many 78s by him, but the French RCA Jazz Tribune lps sound quite good.

23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

OMG

That sound quality is incredible!

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

As an only child my parents gave me their record collection to amuse me. My love of phonograph records started at the age of three. My Grandmother used to bring me really old records from a store in Palm Springs (sort of a Salvation Army store without the salvation) that she used to volunteer at a few days a week.

When I was eight she brought me a vary mysterious looking old 78, totally beat up but the music was wonderful (to me, it sounded just like the Betty Boop cartoons they were constantly showing on TV). The record was "You're The Cream In My Coffee" by Ted Weems and his Orchestra on the nifty scroll Victor label. I was pretty careful when I was a kid not to break the 78's having done it once by accident, I never did it again.

I loved the record and never forgot that "sound". The sound of 1920's Flappers and dance music with hot jazz passages. That was my only pre-swing record until I was in college and my girlfriend introduced me to some old record freaks. I discovered (to my surprise) that the Ted Weems song I'd loved as a kid was actually a pretty rare record. George Metz offered to sell me a mint minus copy for five bucks. One song for the price of an Eagles album but I did it and have been hooked on collecting the stuff in minty form ever since. The difference in sound and background noise between my original beat up record and this clean verson was like night and day. I could clearly hear the "inner voicings" of the band now. It was a wowser.

The old records that are beat up one could get for a dime or quarter and they still sounded pretty good (especially if there was any Bix or Tram on them) but for a bit more money, the E or E- versions that the collectors cherished were totally worth it because without the "scratch" of records played (or scraped) with those worn out steel needles sounded just like the examples in post number one. In other words, AMAZING.

I love the sound still and go out of my way to grab the stuff I really like as CLEAN as possible.

25. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Fascinating, as always.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.