Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Pollini's later recordings (practically everything) also turn me off, but I like a lot of his early stuff. His playing changed over the years, and not for the better in my opinion (to put it mildly).

I read in various places that Yves Nat's complete Beethoven sonatas set is highly recommended, but I've never heard it. Any opinions here? I didn't read all the "Classical Music Corner" threads here (this is the 16th), so I may have missed something.

I agree with you as far as Richter is concerned, but I fail to see [hear] the similarity with Annie Fischer. Schnabel is hors concours :)

2. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

So did an earlier one he posted - the vinyl ring impression!

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Any idea how the recent Ashkenazy Decca recording of the Diabelli var is?

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Hi all!

too lazy to read 40+ pages on this thread and the other 15 threads! :wave:

what's the best version on CD of Mahler 5th Symphony and Schubert 8 & 9 Symphonies (both Schubert's in 1 disc)

Thanks! :)

5. George P

George P Notable Member

His live Waldstein on DG is great. Forgot to mention that one earlier.

It's enjoyable, consistent and very cheap as part of the huge EMI box that they put out in the last year or so.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"Enjoyable" doesn't sound too promising...

Any mastering artefacts? Has much processing been done? They seem to love using heavy noise reduction on many CD reissues...

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, it's the usual EMI hack job. If you're concerned about the sound, I'd say pass on the Nat. I don't consider him top shelf Beethoven anyway.

Have you heard Backhaus's stereo set in the Decca Original Masters set? Nice sound an interpretation on this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilhelm-Backhaus-Decca-Beethoven-Sonatas/dp/B000E0LB7C

Damn, that price is rock bottom too.

He was EMI's second choice (just behind Schnabel) to make the first recording of the complete Beethoven sonatas. This set is from his later years, but his technique was still strong.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No, I haven't heard the Backhaus. Maybe I should give it a listen, but I didn't like the sound on the Decca Original Masters sets I heard (I have a few, including two Clifford Curzon sets), too much processing.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Ok.

My review of the set is first in the list, over at amazon, FWIW.

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member Thread Starter

Definitely, that pic was taken from some vinyl blog. My jacket is mint, although some recent Sony classic jazz reissues in jewel cases started to replicate worn jackets. I have a couple of them, unfortunately. :laugh:

BTW, George, do you know if these Original Jacket Collections are supposed to be sold in boxes only? I have seen some e-tailers who sell separate CDs (say, Glenn Gould ones).

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Why not? :confused:

12. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't know. I don't any of those Original Jacket sets.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

"Enjoyable" is often used as a euphemism to describe something that is not so great, or even not great at all; I more or less automatically assumed you were using it that way.

14. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Mahler’s 5th:
    Bernstein's 1988 with VP on DG is certainly one of the best.
    Other’s you might consider
    Chailly - RCO, 1998
    Levine - Philadephia Orchestra (RCA)
    Inbal -Frankfurt Radio SO (Denon)
    Abbado - BP, 1993

Schubert 8th & 9th
    Sorry that I can’t help you with an 8-9 combo disc, but the following are my favorite 2 versions of the 8th, both on DG:

Giulini - CSO, 1977
    Sinopoli - PO, 1984

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member Thread Starter

Well, just reconsidered your statement regarding the original jacket. Caballe herself definitely wears one on this cover, although other covers don't necessarily present any jackets. How could they spoil such a cool conception?

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I like Toscanini and Szell (but both may not be packaged that way any longer). I also have Munch on Living Stereo, but it's one of those albums I've only listened to once. Generally Munch's 9th is highly regarded; his 8th not as much.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Oh, I see. I would have said it was not great at all or no so great if I felt so. Clear communication on the internet is often difficult, so I try to be as literal as possible. I enjoyed his set.

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Well, one point after the other I said it used to upset me.
    I am not one to follow or like only what all the critics say. I even stated the direct opposite yesterady, too

Those two snippets from longer critics explained perfectly what made her Faure so outstanding and special
    They can do that better than me.
    Dont twist with my words. Either I like a CD or I don't. I will read what others have to say about it later in most cases. Here it was exactly the same. I got that Cd a long time ago because it was on TESTAMENT.

I first loved the CD, next ask for any opinions, when there were none I googled and found only little about her, but all i could find was so above average outstandingly positive and what is far more important - the high points of her playing extremely well described and I am agreeing with them; but instead to write in a foreign language about piano playing and technique I did give those guys the opportunity to speak for me.

I think you all know the mild frustration when you just come back to earth from a superb musical exciting journey and want to share your passion only to find the most important person here saying this lacks better listen to xxx orr yyy.
    This makes me feel bad, If it wasn't for P's last sentence 'I know others like her although I don't know why' I wpuldn't have linked their answers.

This was nothing personal .
    I think you simply can hear too many piano records in one life. To me Perlemuter was the one who brought Mozart Sonatas PERFECTLY to my ears.. This will be my benchmark. Same with Thyssens-Valentin and FAURE - She is the best when it comes to Faure according to many.

It's all good I am used to that now, still it blows my bubble nearly every time, the more I am impressed by a CD the harder the blow.

Now for something else- VIVALDI and Carmignola ?
    which are your favoites. I have one to listen to in my backstock..
    Let's see which one...That one I played it last week and liked pretty much, but not a quarter as much as I liked valentin Tyssens or Perlemuter, but then these are piano works..

All I'd like you guys to do give Perlemuter and Thyssens a chance. You don't find players off that quality among the living imo
    But whatever this won't makke me less enriched by owning those superb works :cool::goodie::goodie::edthumbs::nauga::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Attached Files:

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You can say that again. It's even harder on sites like this where the language is not one's mother tongue.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got issues with Karajan. And I recommend his version of Mahler's Fifth anyway, the quality of the playing is just unbelieveable. If you're interested in a wild ride, Try Bernstein's VPO recording on DGG. I'm no help with both Schuberts on one disc, all the versions I like are separate. I've heard that HVK's Berlin Phil DGG recording of the Great C major was akin to a ride through a Stainless Steel heaven, I still like it for it's overall strangeness. But to tell the truth, I think Norrington's version with the London Classical Players is right about a whole lot of things that are wrong with most versions. Mackerras' recording with Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment on Virgin gets a lot of the same things right, but I'm not as crazy about the Unfinished on the two-fer. It's cheap enough. My favorite versions of The Unfinished are on the opposite end of the interpretive spectrum—full-blown Romantic interpretations like Bruno Walter's and Wilhelm Furtwängler's and neither one is coupled with the Ninth.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

I did no such thing.

My dislike of (or indifference to) one or more of your treasured recordings should not in any way diminish your enjoyment of it. More importantly, it should not be cause for you to speak to me in the way that you have over the past few days. Many of us here disagree on our favorites, but we make an effort to do so civilly. That is the biggest reason why I keep coming back to this thread. There are plenty of other places on the internet where I can discuss Classical Music, but I come here because I can do so with others who share a love of classical music and who have the ability to hold varying opinions in a friendly, civil manner. Frankly, our interchanges don't feel friendly as of late. As a result, I don't have much desire to continue them.

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Gentlemen,

Could it be that the language barrier plays a role here? As I tried to say earlier, it can be pretty hard for non-native English speakers to express their feelings in a way that doesn't offend, especially when there are disagreements/differences of taste? For instance, I've had problems in the past with Russian contacts who disagreed with me in a way that seemed pretty gruff to me, but they assured me it wasn't intended that way, it was just their way of expressing themselves, translated into English.

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

My favorites:

Bernstein on DG

Sinopoli

Karajan, but I prefer the sound of the first CD release, a fatboy double-CD. Looks like this:

Attached Files:

24. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I've read many recomendations of Mahler's 5th Symphony by Bernstein, but only hearing the samples @ amazon didn't like adagietto at all. TOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOW and quite lifeless

Shouldn't be this part around 10 minutes? it's 11:18 and it's too much IMHO. Karajan's and Abbado's versions are even longer

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Sympho...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1286923784&sr=1-3

I know some classical fans love to hate Barenboim, but what about this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Sympho...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1286923858&sr=1-2

If anyone can post sound samples of Schubert 8 & 9 Living Stereo would be nice! can't listen to samples @ amazon and other sites

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Symp...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1286923877&sr=1-2

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.