Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Think of it as more music for the money. ;)

Chailly - RCO clocks in around 10:20.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

You are right. It is the worst version of this symphony that was ever recorded. We were lying to you the first time. We want you to listen to bad music.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member Thread Starter

Here's one of the greatest Fifth ever, it's live, sonics are very good, and Adagietto clocks at 10:28. There are 2 versions available, the second one is eco-pack, it's cheaper and contains Audite catalog.

Attached Files:

4. Bronth

OTOH, there is another highly praised version conducted by Shipley - it has possibly the longest Adagietto ever (around 12-13 minutes, IIRC), but it seems to work.

Very often the absolute timing/tempo in classical music says nothing. The most important things are the overall flow, sense of proportion and approximated unity of composer's and conductor's vision, which help to glue things together and provide proper architectural build-up.

Attached Files:

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Gotta love Yard Sales!! :righton:
    Mind me asking what ya paid for it?

6. Bronth

Now playing for a first listen:

CD 1 from this Shostakovich Complete String Quartets set performed by Fitzwilliam Quartet. It's the original Decca issue, not Musical Heritage Society, and it was worth the wait! Thanks to Graphyfotoz for thumbs up! :cheers:

Attached Files:

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's a great set. That one and the Borodin Quartet's set of the Shostakovich string quartets are highly recommended.

8. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Lots of good suggestions here but for me the one version of the Mahler 5 that really stands out is the Barbirolli on EMI.

Lots of good Schubert 8ths around, maybe Carlos Kleiber with the Vienna on DG (it's accompanied by the Sym. #3).

For Schubert 9 I always go to Furtwangler. You can get it on a DG studio performance that's easily available (with Haydn #88).

By the way, the Mahler and Schubert 9 recordings are real classics and have stood the test of time.

9. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Those are the two sets I have

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i think this VoxBox 2cd set was mentioned earlier:Moravec Plays Chopin
    & Debussy.excellent playing & well-recorded.producer/engineer was Max Wilcox,
    who produced many Arthur Rubinstein lps.recorded 1982/83, RCA studio A,NYC.

Attached Files:

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Love the Kleiber (as I've mentioned here before). DG has repackaged it with his Brahms 4th and excerpts from Tristan. I don't know if it was remastered as I never heard the earlie version.

12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

ordered.. let's see

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

[​IMG]

Just pulled the trigger, thanks.

14. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I attend the symphony once in awhile and have about 150 classical cd's and Lp's in my collection. With classical I have trouble matching up performances I like and a certain preference for how it sounds- many of the discs just don't sound that good to me. Nowhere have I had a higher take to the used store rate than with classical cd's. Many EMI and DG "remasters" of older analog recordings were flat and steely sounding and earlier versions of nearly any all digital "DDD" recordings were the same. I gravitate to well engineered modern recordings or older stuff that was transfered well. Paradoxically I'm willing at times to forgive a lesser recording with my favorite jazz but seem unable to do it with classical. Partly what killed it for me was going to the Myerhoff for the real thing and then hearing the complete harsh string tone of classical cd's.

15. Graphyfotoz

Well worth the dinero!!

16. Graphyfotoz

This is the one I like the best.
    2 CD set...Second hand shop find for $5 :righton:

[​IMG]

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Afternoon folks! :wave:

You guys remind me that I need to revisit my Shostakovich Chandos Borodin (mono) set soon. I have been feeling like that lately and they'd hit the spot.

I have the full set on Melodiya as well, but I think I prefer the earlier recordings.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

George,

Could you post a chronology of the various Borodin Shostakovich cycles? If I remember correctly there was an early Melodiya set with the first 13 quartets (before Shostakovich composed Nos.14 and 15) and later a Chandos and another Melodiya set with all 15 quartets and the quintet with Richter, which was also issued by EMI (now withdrawn) - or did EMI issue the earlier Melodiya set? It's pretty confusing... :confused:

19. Bronth

There's also a double CD with five quartets recorded in 1990, which I'm considering for buying at some point.

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Please remember the two albums made outside the USSR, though both are not cycle, by Mercury and Decca. :wave:

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, but I was asking about the chronology of the cycles, not about non-cycle albums, that's why I left those out.

22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Dude was selling off his classical CDs at 5 for $1. I think I picked up about 30 CDs.

--Geoff

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Those are one in the same. Recorded 1967-71. I obviously misspoke when I said it was in mono. This info is curiously absent from the liner notes, but I got it from an amazon review. BTW, this set is now dirt cheap now from amazon. Under $21 for a new copy.

I have the Melodiya set, which was reissued but seems to be OOP now. This one was recorded in 1978 -1983. This is the one with Richter in the Quintet.

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, I see, so the Chandos is a reissue of the earlier Melodiya cycle. I've never heard it. I understand you like it better than the later one; what's the difference?

I also have that one.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Deeper, darker, but not by a whole lot, really.

You may not need it since you have the later one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.