Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yeah, but I also remember that Decca was using multi-miking to a limited extant at the time.

I had a gig recording some Slavic choir, where the conductor told me in no uncertain terms to set up the mikes at the far end of the room. Listening to his group, I could understand why. . .

But seriously, Furtwängler clearly didn't know a thing about recording. Fortunately he rarely interfered with his engineering crews and was the first Great Conductor to benefit from condenser mics and tape recording. This serves his legacy much better than Toscanini's interventions with RCA's recording crews did.

Furtwängler's 1945 recording of Brahms' Second is as great as the Decca recording is terrible. It should come as no shock that the SQ is much better on the wartime recording.

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Munch SACD. I still have great fondness for Argenta/Paris Conservatoire on Decca, have the early STS vinyl transfer, haven't heard the latest digital incarnation.

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

IMMS Decca had then their own built 6 channel mixer with a mono output. I have an impression Wilkie had 5 mics for an orchestra session. It's just my speculation though.

Another point on this anecdote would be that Furtwangler didn't complain to Legge.

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Is any of these coming with the original program on the booklet? :wave:

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have Paray SACD in front of me now and can confirm that Paray's liner has 'A Fantastic Program'.
    And as for Dutoit and Barenboim, my copies are Japanese ones, so I have no idea about the international issues.

6. Humungus

Humungus Forum Resident

Hello,

i suggest Anima Eterna Brugge with Jos van Immerseel.

[​IMG]

Greetings Michael

7. genesisfan

genesisfan Forum Resident

Hello all

new to this thread.

Please recomend me beautiful, haunting symphonies without singing. Not a fan of disonant and discordant classical. Thanks a lot

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'd give it a listen

... but I'm not sure if I'd buy a classical album with that cover! :winkgrin:

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.