Aja SACD - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phan71, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes.

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Maybe it's Oppo ;)

3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Me, I'm still holding out rebuying this title till they locate those missing multi track tapes and give us a proper Sacd surround release! Really, I'm not joking!

4. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Until you hear it you will never be sure. I have it and like it a lot, and think it was worth the price. Others here don't feel that way. I don't think on this title you're going to get a solid one way or the other on the merits of this disc.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It'll take more than that $400 reward too. :laugh: But I'm there for that too. :righton:

6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...fed via HDMI into my processor, bypassing OPPO's analog outs. ;)

7. jingi6

jingi6 New Member

Funny someone should mention the Oppo. I just happened to be listening to the SACD on my Oppo BDP-83SE this morning right before reading this thread. I can confirm the "more detail" judgement, especially on the high end (the piano on I Got the News really jumps out and I never heard the cymbals on this LP presented quite as intricately before). I haven't done a wild-west style shootout with my other Aja CDs, but my initial impressions were that the Hoffman version does indeed have more warmth and a better rounded bass sound. But SACD is not a total washout either. Still, the price is not nice and how it will sound to your ears on your particular rig is always a gamble. Verdict: I'm keeping mine!

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Rebuying may not be accurate here as this is the first time on SACD.

9. audiomixer

Ah, I'm not alone. Trust your ears! :thumbsup:

10. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Wish they would do the rest of the titles in surround. Gaucho is still a favorite of mine but sure would like Pretzel Logic & Royal Scam too!

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Lee is one constant in an ever changing world. His "perfect" to me always needs:

-3@10k, -2@6k & +2@ 70 & 200 cycles.

We are always in sync that way, joined at the hip, the ying and the yang... :agree:

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:D

Steve, have you heard the SHM SACD of Aja? It's really pretty good in my opinion. Not far from my best LPs.

13. Steve Hoffman

Of course. Hence my EQ choices to match the sound of the master mixes..

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Okay, good. I did not know the SACD was that bright. Of course, I have not heard the master tapes.

15. Steve Hoffman

Find the AJA CD I did. That's pretty much what they sound like... I actually added some midrange back then (+3@3,400/6 Sontec) because the music didn't have ANY..

16. audiomixer

It is bright! That's where the "added detail" comes from...;)

17. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Mostly the same here...I don't have that exact MCA UK CD but I have an American CD pressing with Steve's mastering...plus the original '77 vinyl and Kevin Gray's Cisco vinyl mastering. I'm fond of all 3 of these, for different reasons. Briefly owned and then rapidly sold a number of other versions (Japan vinyl import pressings blah blah blah...none measured up).

BTW was just listening to the Cisco vinyl recently and revisiting an old favorite..."Home at Last" in particular is just such a tremendous piece of music - "Pretty" Purdie's beautifully recorded and tasty ride cymbal in the right channel floats me off to heaven at the end of the track, every time.

18. jingi6

jingi6 New Member

Ok, I broke down and just compared the SACD versions of "I Got the News" and "Josie" against the same tracks on the Hoffman version of Aja. The bass on the old CD has so much more depth and presence; basically just louder than the SACD, which is disappointingly anemic in this department. Still, there's a lot of details, especially in the percussion section, that the new disc presents in sound quality worthy of the SACD brand. For low volume listening, I might reach for the expensive Japanese option and enjoy the sizzle. But when the neighbors are gone, I'l go for the old Hoffman disc every time and crank up Black Cow.

19. hifichip76

hifichip76 Forum Resident

mine came today and I can't wait to compare to my cd (and try to see which mastering I have-think it's the most recent one here in the US).

Sometimes it eery that what comes up on this forum coincides with what I happen to be doing. Spooky!

20. Phan71

Phan71 Forum Resident Thread Starter

After running my copy through XLD, my peak levels seem to most closely match this version, but the other info is off. I have:

81.5/100/100/97.4/99.8/100/90.5
    MCA US MCAD 37214 DIDX w/ barcode / Matrix: MCAD 37214 01 IFPI L292

So, it's clearly not the Steve Hoffman master, but it still sounds pretty good to my ears.

Based on the other comments here, I'm still up in the air regarding the SACD, but I'll definitely try to find the SH mastered CD.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I prefer the Japan-for-U.S. MCA CDs, the Japanese 32XD disc, and the U.K Nimbus MCLD disc to the SACD. The SACD offers depth, but the bass isn't right and the sound overall is not as natural as those early CDs.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve, have you heard the SHM-SACD? As I posted above, I prefer the early CD issues, some of which must have your mastering. I would be curious to hear your thoughts of the SACD.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I had and sold it IMO it is very close to the original LP, which is a good thing but I'm just not a fan of the album.

24. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

Look here.

All the best,

Robert

25. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Original Vinyl vs. the Mac cd , either seem better ?? I have an original vinyl copy that i love , it has some crackle to it , but overall just stunning to play .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.