Adam West's Batman vs the modern "Dark Knight" version - which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michelle66, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If anyone wants to watch the 1960's show, the new cable channel The Hub (where do they test these wacky names?) is running Batman now every week night.

2. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Attached Files:

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Set that to record a few episodes. Watched one this morning. . . .

Well, that was painful. I agree that this show was a somewhat accurate transformation of the fifties and sixties comic, and I'm as nostalgic as the next boomer, but man. . . how anyone can prefer this version of Batman is beyond me. Thought it was awful everytime I've seen an episode in the last three decades.

To each their own, but the Nolan films are definitely far more to my taste in every way.

4. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

To each his or her own, but I can't understand why you'd continue to subject yourself to something you don't like - for more than 30 years. :confused:

As for "how anyone can prefer this version of Batman", well it's funny. It was done in a over-exaggerated style that's both exciting and hilarious.

The Nolan films take themselves so seriously. Comic books all dressed up as some profound statement. They were OK for a single viewing, but I have no desire to revisit them.

For me, Adam West was perfect for the role. He looked fantastic in tights and cape, needed no body armor, and he played the character with a light touch.

Besides, he looks so cool driving the Batmobile! :)

Attached Files:

• aw1.jpg
      aw1.jpg
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
  5. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Adam West - perfect.

6. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

'other'

I dont like any of the versions but if forced to choose, I'd probably pick the tv series for camp value.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I didn't "subject myself" to anything. I run into the show every now and then over the years. When other people value something so highly I try to be oopen and to see if I can somehow enjoy as they do. . . . Can't do that with this show. I think West looks ridiculous in that costume, I think the corniness is so thick you gain weight being around it. . . it's not for me. Just don't see the appeal.

I'm glad others enjoy it, but the Burton and Nolan versions are what I enjoy.

8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Or for slightly less, you can just buy THE Batmobile.

Atomic batteries to power! Turbine to speed!

Attached Files:

9. htom

htom Senior Member

Your post just reminded me of what always struck me about both this and the old George Reeves Superman TV series: that wearing the spandex costume the heroes fill it like a sausage casing. Granted, I don't recall either hero being drawn with six-pack abs during each series' run, but what I saw swung in the other direction, and not in a good way either.

Howard

10. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

The Hub seems to be running some TV series that are either not on DVD yet or have had problems with their DVD releases due to music rights. Check your listings, fire up the recorder and enjoy!!!

11. il pleut

il pleut New Member

exactly. funny rules.

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I didn't find them humorless. Alfred and Lucius Fox provide some quiet humor, and I watched the bank robbery in the beginning of the Dark Knight with a big grin, as I did for most of the Joker's scenes. Same for the scene in the first film where Batman takes out the goons at the shipping yard. I was overjoyed with how bad *** it all was, and I don't think, in that regard, it's any less juvenile than any other comic movie. The tone and pace of The Dark Knight isn't as light or quick as Iron Man, but it didn't bother me. If one thing drug The Dark Knight down, to me, it was the ponderous "hero we deserve, hero we need" scene near the end. The film could have been shorter, but I still enjoyed it, and I get sucked in any time I see it on TV. Good stuff.

13. mr.schneider

Attached Files:

14. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I must admit, my favorite celebrity meet, was Adam West. He was incredibly nice and was very patient with my questions-most he's heard and answered several times before. This was...83 I think.

He was in town for about a month and everyone who met him, pretty much tells the same story. I told him I had just taped the movie of TBS the week before and he gave me some tips to look for in it.

The "bomb" comment of course, but also the noise that is made when he is pounding on the shark and the practice of fastening their seat belts...in a car that had NO seat beats.

I was 9 and 10 when the series ran, and I lived for Beatles records and this show. He was super cool and exactly what you want when meeting a childhood idol.

15. mr.schneider

I met Adam as well. Super nice! Even though he's had a rollercoaster career in both wealth and fame, he's always kept his sense of humor. I admire that.

16. jook

jook New Member

For those of you discovering the Animated Series, allow me to also vouch for the Justice League Animated Series.

I wouldn't have expected it to work, but surprisingly, they really pulled it off and the characters really complimented each other.

Here's a compilation of Batman moments from Justice League Animated Series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPHSEWul5rU

17. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member Thread Starter

This picture sums up the 60's series in a nutshell! (From the first season episode "While Gotham City Burns".) :laugh:

Attached Files:

18. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

I met Adam West when I was 9 or 10 years old back around '73/'74. I was in total awe! He was really nice to this geeky kid - got his autograph, wish I still had it. He was making car show appearances at the time. IIRC, the Batmobile was also there with the "BatFuzz" covering the paint/cracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.