Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #17)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

I'm very glad you like it. :wave:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD1 for a first listen, performed none other than Rachmaninoff from this set, which arrived late last week ...

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived from across the pond a few weeks ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing for a first listen:

Mahler
    Symphony No. 5

New York Philharmonic/Leonard Bernstein
    Sony Classical "Bernstein Symphony Edition" set, CD 32 of 60

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I never bought any of those. I have (or had) LB's first series, the first and second HVKs, Abbado, Bohm, Walter, a little Klemperer, eventually the Harnoncourt, and that 5 & 7 by Kleiber once they were released on a single CD.

I probably like the Harnoncourt series best, though Bernstein's on Columbia will always occupy a special place in my heart and my head. I like Bohm more than any of the rest, and I didn't like the Kleiber at all.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Beethoven
    Symphonies Nos. 4 & 5

Sony Classical "Bernstein Symphony Edition" set, CD 3 of 60

Cheers Jay! :cheers:

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I tend to visit some of these places from time to time, but my avatar hasn't yet decided to hornify leave you, guys, in favor of any of these forums. :laugh: Only occasional info affairs, nothing more...

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh, there's always room for a thread (like this one) to gather recommendations and bounce suggestions around, especially in regards to sound quality. And then sometimes one needs or desires a deeper dialog on a composer than one would find here, a different level.

10. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Indeed, Andre. Thank you again.

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Indeed, usually our Level seem to be tr00ly tr00er, which surprised me after all my investigations, since some of those forums are supposed to be classical only. Maybe I'll try to find something as substantial on the French or German internet (all my attempts on the Russian sites, unfortunately, failed), since I also want to improve my language skills, and places like sh.tv allow to do this in a very informal way.

12. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. George P

George P Notable Member

:wave:

Can you explain that term? I have never seen it before.

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It's just my today's method to describe something that's even blacker than the true black metal. :cool: :evil: :cheers:

EDIT: just kidding recalling my days as a moderator at a Scandinavian cultural forum. Oh, those were the sweet days when I could ban any young black metal dude/girl for any inappropriately long/hot post about "who's true and who's not". :tsk: And yes, occasionally I do listen to some music called "black metal"... :angel:

15. coopmv

Few pianists, living or dead, could have played Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini better than Rachmaninoff himself ... :righton:

16. coopmv

Now playing Disc 1 of this SACD set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Brahms: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 + Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op. 27 No. 1 & Op. 81a - Claudio Arrau; Gennady Rozhdestvensky/USSR TV and Radio Large Symphony Orchestra [Doremi 2010, recorded live May 1968, needledrops of Melodiya LP's, excellent sound quality]

Attached Files:

18. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

It takes awhile to warm up to more modern guitar compositions.
    [​IMG]

Likeable from the beginning!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reading material for listening sessions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. coopmv

Now playing CD5, the last CD from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

20. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

Anna Netrebko, Mariusz Kwiecien, Matthew Polenzani, and John Del Carlo were brilliant in today's Metropolitan Opera's Live in HD Broadcast of "Don Pasquale". :)

Attached Files:

21. coopmv

Now playing CD14 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Dvorak
    Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"

Roy Harris
    Symphony No. 3

Sony Classical "Bernstein Symphony Edition" set, CD 16 of 60

23. coopmv

I hope to get Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" in a new SACD. The only SACD I currently have for this work is the one by CSO with Reiner on RCA Living Stereo. While the sound is good for its age, it still sounds dated.

24. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I've never visited the above, but I should check them out. Unfortunately, there's only so much time for this stuff.

The Amazon classical music forum is decent. There are some knowledgeable posters there, in particular one who goes by the name of "Piso Mojado," who has a great knowledge of recording history and a nice, humorous style in his posts.

25. coopmv

For the breadth of overall knowledge that is required for enjoying classical music to the fullest, SH forum is still one of the better ones even if there are only about a dozen of members who regularly post in the Classical Music Corner. The knowledge base at Good Music Guide when it comes to computer and audio hardware is quite shallow. While GMG has a few members there who are quite knowledgeable in classical music, they have an attitude problem - they think they know it all and expect everyone to agree with them. I just enjoy being a thorn in their side (I am also a member of GMG) just to p*** them off ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.