Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #18)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member Thread Starter

Continued from here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=230624&page=51

As George P said:

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

3. Bronth

4. Bronth

I defintely need these concertos, is this Collard cycle among the best available?

5. Rose River Bear

Yes IMHO and some critics. Cheap too. I like the Collard cycle over the other four I have. :cheers:

BTW-This is the older version. They were reissued and remastered recently by EMI.

6. Bronth

Great to know (I really love his cycle of Faure solo piano works). :cheers:

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Don't know this cycle well. I have Ciccolini/Baudo and enjoy it, but I wouldn't say that it necessarily supplants single recordings in all the works. I have a particular fondness for Brailowsky in the 4th, for instance.

8. Rose River Bear

It's awesome (Faure). He is great with that type of music.

9. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

I picked this gem up today. It was recommended to me and even just listening to it on my way home in the car, I was awestruck by the prowess of the soloist and the sonics provided by the Pentatone engineers. Great music, great performance with great sound. SACD seems to win out for me over vinyl, even though I prefer vinyl for ever other form of music.

10. Bronth

I suppose this is the one to get (added to my evergreen wish list :goodie:).

Attached Files:

11. Rose River Bear

That's it. $6.59 from Amazon. Can't go wrong. :cheers:

12. Rose River Bear

An awesome disc. Great sound.

13. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

It's been a while since I've purchased anything classical related but I could not resist this Wilhelm Furtwangler set for a mere $8.00. Got to love those Half Price Books 50% off coupons. I seem to recall seeing this set mentioned in an earlier thread.

NP: Disc 1

Attached Files:

• wf.jpg
      wf.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

I have and adore Roge's set with Dutoit on a Decca two-fer. It comes highly recommended. Like you, I also have and love Collard's solo Faure and if I were looking for a second set of SS Concertos, I'd surely consider him, though Tacchino would likely win out, as I love his Poulenc solo recordings on EMI and I've read good things about his SS Concertos on Vox.

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Nice to see you, Damian! And nice grab. Can't go wrong with Furtwangler. :wave:

BTW, I got my replacement DG CD recently, thanks for your help! :righton:

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Damn. That is a good price. Those Scriabin Sonatas were recently reissued on a cheap EMI twofer as well.

17. Rose River Bear

I prefer the Collard over the Tacchino. Better sound, better orchestra, just better overall IMHO.

I like Roget also. The Hough set is great also but a little too fast for my tastes.

18. Damian72

Thanks, back at ya. :)

The price was awesome and the contents looked promising but it was seeing Furtwangler's name favorably mentioned on here that sealed the deal. Well, that and he looked like an intense fella.

I'm very glad to hear you got a replacement. :thumbsup:

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I am not surprised to hear that the sound is not so great on the Tacchino. Luckily, I am more than happy with Roge's set.

And yeah, Hough would probably be last on my list. My disappointment with the few things I have of his (especially the Rach Concertos) has made me weary of getting more from him.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, if I were to get into a Classical gang fight (imagine! :laugh:), I'd want him and Mravinsky on my side. :cool:

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now finally playing this CD I picked up at the local Borders store a few weeks ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

22. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

About to sit down with this one for the first time. It's a broadcast performance of Beethoven's 4th concerto with Mitropoulos conducting on August 22, 1943. Apparently Hofmann was past his peak at this point, so I am curious to see if I notice this in his performance. It was released on the Marston label and mastered by Ward Marston.

23. Damian72

Good one. Mravinsky was super serious looking. I need to go work on my scowl.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Use this for reference ;)

[​IMG]

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Encountered an apparent curiosity tonight: I played the first recording by Janos Starker of the Bach 3d Cello Suite (on mono Period LP no. SPL 543, when Starker was still principal cellist of the Metropolitan Opera Or., long predating the celebrated series on Mercury), and in the intervals between mvts., listening closely on headphones, I can hear room noise--a bit of chair squeaking, air handling eqpt. drone, etc. From that, I'd guess he must have recorded the entire thing in a single take. Anybody know more about these sessions? Incidentally, leaving aside the potent performance and no matter its appearance on a relatively minor, second-tier early '50s classical label, this is quite a beautiful mono recording on purely technical grounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.