The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Or, Jason Robards:
    Robards1.jpg Robards2.jpg

2. beachbum

beachbum Active Member

Thanks so much i m on the hunt.

3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Just got this from amazon.co.uk. To be released on October 18

[​IMG]

As the 1950s drew to a close, strong rumour had it that Frank Sinatra would not be extending his Capitol Records contract, although no one at the time was contemplating him starting his own label. Capitol therefore continued mining his vast catalogue for new albums and followed This Is Sinatra and This Is Sinatra Volume 2 with another collection of singles and B-sides, entitled Look To Your Heart. Originally released in 1959, the reprtoire was recorded between 1953 and 1955, including a couple of songs originally recorded for the musical Our Town.

4. solomon

solomon Forum Resident

Thanks, Bob! I always appreciate your depth of knowledge on all things Frank. I knew the CD wasn't a "soundtrack", I just put it that way in my post so people would understand which CD I was talking about. The seller convinced me, though, that the songs on it were Sinatra vocals with new instrumentals. After reviewing the disc and comparing it with my collection, I realize that, with the exception of "I've Got The World On A String", that is not the case. I did see, before I purchased it, the blurb on the back about featuring "the original FS studio recordings" but that would have to be the case no matter what if his vocals were used. It was the instrumentals that were in question, whether those were original or not.

In any event I discovered that "Body And Soul" is not in my Reprise suitcase collection, so that is a new grab for me. Did this track appear somewhere else?

5. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

6. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Any speculation on the mastering here? Perhaps just a duplicate of the one included in the 21 CD UK box?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not really. There are many Sinatra vocals which were not recorded for commercial record release (what is usually meant by "studio" recordings), i.e., from concerts, films, radio, and television.

Except for "String" (likely a TV track) and "Body and Soul" (see below), I believe the instrumentals on this CD are the original studio recordings.

"Body and Soul" was a previously unreleased bonus track on the 2008 Reprise CD, NOTHING BUT THE BEST. The vocal was recorded in 1984 during the L.A. IS MY LADY sessions, but the song was not used in the album and did not appear in the suitcase. The original orchestration was replaced for the NBTB comp by a Torrie Zito arrangement, conducted by Frank Sinatra Jr. in 2007.

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Label is "Hallmark". Who knows...

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Doubtful. It's not an official Capitol/EMI release, just another public domain issue due to expiration of 50-year copyright in the UK. It might sound nice... or not... depending on the source.

10. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Even though the 50 year copyright is expired, will Capitol/EMI always own the master tapes or is that what goes into the public domain?

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The master tapes are of course the property of Capitol/EMI. The right to reproduce and resell the recordings is what falls into public domain after 50 years in the UK (75 years in the USA). I.e., this could be sourced from someone's dub of an official tape, a needle drop, or just a digital rip. As bluesbro stated, who knows...

(It won't cost much to find out: Amazon's price is £2.37. :rolleyes:)

12. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Ichabod Crane.

13. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

I wouldn't buy anything by Hallmark - unless it's something that isn't available otherwise. Just my opinion - based on a few CDs I own;)

14. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I came across this album today on iTunes titled "This Thing Called Love" ... I gather it's not an "Official" release, but curious, is this a download album only and have the songs been digitally remastered especially for this album, or are they taken from others.

Release date earlier this year, and states "Digitally Remastered 2010"

Franks' voice sounds quite a bit louder and "Crisper" for want of a better word.

This Thing Called Love.jpg

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Absolutely not official, and it doesn't look like it's available from the U.S. iTunes store. (Although the iTunes software is so sluggish and impossible to navigate, it may be there and I just can't find it.) It's probably UK grey-market out-of-copyright '50s Capitol stuff, no?

16. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Yes it looks like it's the Capitol era, 40 songs for £15.99 . It can be found elsewhere if Googled.

Just wondered that's all.

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It can be found on CD in Europe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ITQGBM

18. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Funny how they've used a different cover.

They do that on official releases to keep us on our toes LOL!

19. Sean Keane

Attached Files:

20. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

Man that dude IS skinny!!

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I loved the line Jackie Gleason used on Mr. S when he saw him sans-clothes in a locker room. He said "My God! You look like a tuning fork!!!":eek:

22. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Or as Frank once said, he was a skinny kid , so skinny his eyes were single file LOL!

Oh don't you just love his sense of humour, I could listen to his stories for hours.....they still tickle me every time I listen to them.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Save your £2.47 on this LOOK TO YOUR HEART from Hallmark. Report from an English friend is that it sounds like crap. (Okay, those were not his exact words, which were: "It's shrill, distorts and all round sounds like it was recorded off some cassette in a basement.")

24. Sean Keane

I Love You Dear

The guy at the bookstore was throwing some donated CDs into the $1.00 pile and I grabbed this super junky looking Frank Sinatra disc called Old Blue Eyes that was pressed in 'London, England' in 1997. I knew for sure that it's just one of these horribly produced comps of stuff taken off other CDs, but I was intrigued by the title of the last song on the thing, a song called 'I Love You Dear'.

I've got a lot of old radio and television Sinatra, but so far I can't see this song on any of the other CDs, though I haven't delved very far. It sounds like a TV recording from the early fifties; an operatic number kind of like You Are Love, but there is absolutely no indication of it being live as there is no applause after the last orchestral note.

Would anybody know of Sinatra's recording of this? There seems to be no mention of it on the internet.

The CD was obviously mastered from discs.

25. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

There supposedly an aircheck of that song, from October 1944. Recorded for Armed Forces Radio Service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.