The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Thanks, Greg, but it doesn't sound like an Axel arrangement, and Frank sounds like 'fifties Sinatra'.

2. Sean Keane

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Columbia recording of July 30, 1946. Based on Grieg's "Ich Liebe Dich" Opus 5 No. 3. Flip side of "Strange Music" in the Columbia 78 album set, DEDICATED TO YOU, also issued on a ten-inch LP (1950). Track 21 on disc 4 of the Big Blue Box.

See: The Lost Albums of Frank Sinatra.

That too, from an AFRS "Mail Call" program, but the one Sean's describing is likely the Columbia studio recording.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sean: "I Love You Dear" is the title which appears in some Sinatra discographies for the 1946 recording, probably to differentiate the song from others with the title "I Love You" that were sung by FS. (There were at least three different songs.) That's why I assumed you were talking about the Columbia version. Post a line from the lyrics, please.

5. Sean Keane

It is the recording you mentioned, Bob. Thanks. Why I thought it was 'fifties Sinatra' was due to the slower playback of the disc in the 'remastering process'.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It is one of my all-time favorite recordings by Mr. S. Translated from the German song "Ich Leibe Dich". Extremely moving performance!

7. Sean Keane

I received this today. Would anybody comment on it? All tracks were remastered by David Lennick in Toronto.

http://www.amazon.com/AS-Long-As-Theres-Music/dp/B000QPJIT8

Product Description
    This is a sealed 2 cd set from Music & Arts. FRANK SINATRA: AS LONG AS THERE'S MUSIC. 50 broadcast performances by the young Sinatra, covering the years 1939 through 1948, and tracing his gradual evolution from a teen idol to a mature singer. With Harry James, Tommy Dorsey, Axel Stordahl and the King Cole Trio. Transfers and production by David Lennick (Efrem Productions, Toronto); liner notes by Scott Yanow, of the All Music Guide to Jazz. AAD. CD 1, total time: 75 minutes. CD 2, total time: 74 minutes. UPC # 0-17685-40412-2. This unique collection covers Sinatra's career from his salad years through his early prime. We hear him with Harry James and Tommy Dorsey as a successor to Bing Crosby who set the standard for middle-of-the-road pop singing. Although not a jazz singer himself (since he did not improvise much), Sinatra brought the feel and swing of jazz into the pop music world. We trace his path through his wartime and post-war stardom, offering warm interpretations of highquality ballads. These rare broadcast performances have been lovingly remastered by famed Canadian engineer David Lennick

Attached Files:

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I have this, but I can't recall how it sounds. My vague impression is: not so hot. I'm away from my collection for the weekend, so I can't tell you anything more immediately.

9. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Well I had to read THAT one twice LOL! :D ;)

10. Sean Keane

Tell me about it! You wouldn't believe the PMs I get from him! :laugh:

11. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I had a hunch that could have been the case. Really. The grey marketers tend to the worst with stuff taken from old discs. Jee, that's playing a full tone sharp and nobody notices?:D

12. Sean Keane

Attached Files:

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That version of "Singapore" may be found on this Hindsight CD, which is a much better FS collector's item for its other aircheck material and improved mastering. (And it IS in the French Masters of Jazz collection, Volume 8.)

14. Sean Keane

Thanks. I got that Hindsight disc but din't check. I only bothered checking Volume 1 of MOj because the others state 1940 and beyond on the spine.

By the way, why is there no mention on the web of those OnThe Air Sinatra Hit Parade CDs?
    Even John Ridgeway's CD seem more common.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The MOJ series is not strictly chronological. As the series was released over time, later volumes sometimes picked up newly-discovered tracks that had been omitted from earlier volumes.

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I saw several of these white-label promos at a shop in Seattle tonight. Not something you see every day anymore:

Attached Files:

17. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

And you didn't buy 'em?

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I want my wife to still love me, so sometimes I keep my wallet securely tucked away.

Matt

19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

A wise idea my friend :winkgrin:

20. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I don't think those ought to have lightened the wallet considerably, anyway. Those 78 rpm records should be pretty inexpensive to aquire, unless a shop is overpricing them.

Even though they're vinyl pressings, they're still likely less than stellar dubs from lacquer discs, Except in the case of something like that American Beauty Rose which should be from a tape master.

21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Dear Forum,
    my question:
    I'm purchasing the 'sad' albums of FS and my eye is now on 'No One Cares' and 'Where Are You'. Am I right in getting the 1991 versions (which you can get easily at amazon.co.uk)? Or do I have to wait for possible new remasters of Concord?

22. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Always consult Matt's scorecard:

http://web.me.com/mlutthans/Site_55/Capitol_Scorecard.html

And Concord only remixes/remasters Reprise titles, not Capitol ones.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You are right in getting the 1991 versions from Amazon UK. Those were mastered by Larry Walsh, and they are better-sounding than the 1998 "Entertainer of the Century" versions (remastered by Bob Norberg) which are sold in the USA.

These are albums from Capitol (1953-61) and will never appear on Concord. Concord Records is involved only with the later Reprise recordings (1961-86), as is Universal Music Group in Europe.

They are both wonderful (and "sad"). WHERE ARE YOU? is my favorite Frank Sinatra album of all time.

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

We still can hope for MOFI versions of WHERE ARE YOU & NO ONE CARES!!

25. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Thanks RangerJohn and Bob, the reason for my question was a small doubt about that issue:

I think it's so silly to combine an album of SF like 'Where Are You' with the fine orchestration by Gordon Jenkins and then 'complete' this with some bonus tracks of SF together with Nelson Riddle. So, two parts which don't belong to eachother at all at one cd album!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.