You want the "Bargain of the Century" Blu-ray/SACD player for $100.00 shipped?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by soundboy, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

J&R is offering the Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray/SACD player for $100.00. This player was called "Bargain of the Century" in a multiple Blu-ray player shootout in the October issue of the UK audiophile magazine "Hi-Fi World". While the Sony can pass the native DSD bitstream via its HDMI output, its analog output was singled-out for praise. The S370 doesn't have analog multi-channel outputs, though.

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_BDPS3...eEBk-*9TpYylQ7/DVkcqYPor0Vg#productTabDetails

2. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I know this has been discussed before, but how do we know this machine plays sacd? There is no mention of sacd anywhere. How can this be confirmed?

3. soundboy

The SACD logo is on the top edge of the player.

SACD is listed in the owner's manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS370.pdf

October 2010 issue of Hi-Fi World mentioned the playback of SACD in its review of the S370. What Hi-Fi? also mentioned the S370's SACD playback in its review.

Edit: Crutchfield is also selling the S370 at 100.00 with free shipping.

4. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

yeh it certainly does ... good deal , allthough i hate it does not have the multi analog outs.
    now aomeone may know this , if you run an sacd with a player like this & use the HDMI into your receiver can you get the same surround sacd mixes you would through the 6 cable out-puts ??

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, assuming your receiver supports DSD over HDMI.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thought I'd note that it looks like lots of places are selling this same model for $100.

I was looking for a cheap second unit, so I'll grab one of these. I prefer Panasonic in general, but the presence of the SACD player seals that deal...

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

Amazon also has it for $99.99 w/free shipping.

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Looks nice for $100. I might have to grab this thing. Seeing as it's $100 everywhere, I'm thinking it's being discontinued.

10. soundboy

Discontinued? The X70 series came out in April of this year and new non ES Sony stuff usually don't get announced until March/April of each year.

Of course, there's always a chance that Sony may be dropping SACD playback in their upcoming Blu-ray players as well.

Btw, the S370 is no longer the bottom of the line Sony Blu-ray player. There's a S270 that doesn't include SACD playback. Saw it at Walmart.

11. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Cool , thanks for that info , always something i've wondered .

12. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I bought this player last week (Nov. 20th) at Sam's Wholesale for $94.86.

The player I bought has an HDMI cable included. It is the BDP-BX37.

That's the same player as the BDP-S370, which does not included the HDMI cable.

On Page 31 of the Operating Instructions Manual, under Specifications, it lists the Playable discs, and in that listing is "Super Audio CD".

But, you will not find "DVD-A" there, and that's Sony's call, as they could include that, if they chose to.

13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I played with the Sony S370 thinking it could replace the Insignia (Best Buy) wireless model. The Sony does not include a wireless connection. You have to buy USB wireless plug to make it work wireless. (you can only buy the SONY brand USB wireless plug, which is $60-$70) Otherwise, you can plug an Ethernet cable into the unit to get the internet.

I wanted the Netflix and Youtube features that the Sony model offered. Both aren't what I expected. The Netflix feature is better on the Insignia model. (no Youtube with Insignia) The Youtube on the Sony, doesn't give you a full picture. The picture is a small box in the top right corner. What's with that?

There are a lot of other features on the Sony model, that are not included on the Insignia. Like Crackle.com which has a lot of movies. Hulu is also there. Several internet radio portals.

Anyway, there are a lot of extra features, but it's really NOT wireless. The SONY player does play SACD.

So if you buy the Insignia (Best Buy) wireless during Thanksgiving weekend for $90. I would consider it a better deal for a wireless BluRay player (without SACD).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+Internet+Connectable+/+Wi-Fi+Built-In+Blu-ray+Disc+Player/9892472.p?id=1218195518665&skuId=9892472&st=blu%20ray%20player&cp=1&lp=15

There is the newer Sony S570 that has a built-in Wireless (and SACD) for $149.99 from Amazon. (or Walmart for $154)

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S570-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B0036WS4D4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290736998&sr=8-1

Also, I noticed that several stores are selling the SONY S370 during this Thanksgiving weekend. It must be getting discontinued. K-Mart, Walgreens, Best Buy, and the SONY site also sells it for $99.99 with free shipping.

14. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

As to the SACD capability, in order to get the FULL rez signal to the amp, you may need HDMI connections vs. a coaxial connection, which may doen-rez the DSD signal to 44k/16bit.

I'm not the expert on this.... and there are folks over at the AVS forum, that are...

Or, can I simply get full rez through RCA connections ? ?

I'm confused... :confused:

15. KeithH

The 'S370 doesn't have 5.1 analog outputs, so you will have to use the HDMI output for 5.1 SACD. You can listen to stereo SACD in full resolution via the stereo analog outputs or the HDMI output.

16. KeithH

Not to threadcrap, but Crutchfield has the Sony BDP-S770 for $200 with 24-month financing. It was $300. It also plays SACDs and looks to offer a bit more heft than the 'S370, 'S470, and 'S570.

17. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

lack of DVD-A support an issue?

I'm just about to pull the trigger on this; this would not only be our first Blu-Ray player but also first our first SACD player (I only have 3 hybrid SACDs, which I've only used on my 2-channel redbook CDP to date).

But I have one question: I noticed that this player doesn't support DVD-A. How big of an issue is that? I don't have anything in that format, but I'm wondering where DVD-A is going.

In other words, is this hi-res format (DVD-A) growing or shrinking in popularity? Would you guys consider its lack of support of DVD-A a deal-breaker?

(After working mostly on building my two-channel rig for the past 2.5 years, I'm now trying to get caught up a little in the HT department so I don't know really anything about what's happening here. Our TV is ancient (3+years old) by today's standards, but I'm going to hold out further for something in 50" LED LCD or Plasma to come down in price a bit more...maybe by next X-mas).

TV: 32" Olevia 720
    AVR: Denon 2808ci
    Front speakers: Polk RtiA5s
    Center: Polk Csi6
    Rear: Polk RtiA1s

18. KeithH

DVD-Audio is a format of the past. We see the occasional release, such as King Crimson reissues, but they are few and far between. There are many great-sounding DVD-Audio discs that are now out of print, but they are not cheap. I wouldn't base your decision on a player on DVD-Audio compatibility if you don't already have a collection of these discs.

19. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Thanks, KeithH. Thats exactly what I needed to hear...and with that, I'm finally about to step into the 21st century of Blu-Ray. Looking forward to checking out the Mad Men Blu-Ray discs I ordered from Amazon a few days ago (those and the player's drop to the $100 price point are what have pushed me over the edge after holding out for several years).

20. KeithH

No problem. Let us know how the '370 works for you. I may still get one of these Sony players for the Damn the Torpedoes Blu-Ray set.

21. Jake!

Jake! Active Member

I bought the S370 a few weeks ago, and very happy with it. Decent SACD output over analogue and really quick BR load times with a great HD picture.

22. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Can anyone speak to thr ease of setting up Netflix on this? I'd be buying it form y brother who would insist he could set it up himself, but in reality might have some trouble.

Thanks!

23. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

After you connect the internet to the player, it's no problem. If you're a member of Netflix, it will ask you enter a code into your computer on your Netflix account. The code will be shown on the TV when you try to access NETFLIX. So bring up your Netflix account online, and go to your account info. Then add the device.

Like I mentioned in an earlier reply, only your INSTANT QUEUE will show-up on the SONY S370 player. You will not be able to search or add other movies from the TV. So you will need to use your computer to search and add movies to the Netflix INSTANT QUEUE. I think the Netflix function on the S370 is poor. The SONY platform does have a lot of other features, which you might like, including SACD.

Please also note that the S370 is NOT wireless by itself. You need to buy a SONY brand USB wireless adapter to make the wireless function work. You can use a Ethernet cable and plug the internet directly into the device. So be sure your brother has a router or cable connection nearby. (the SONY USB adapter is about $60-70) The Sony S-570 $149 (Amazon) includes a built-in wireless connection.

24. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Can anyone tell me how this player sounds with regular (2 channel) audio cd's?

25. KeithH

I'm also wondering if there is a difference in audio quality as you move along the line from the 'S370 through to the 'S470, 'S570, and 'S770. Sony has four Blu-Ray players priced $100-200. Is there any real difference among them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.