Frank Sinatra: The Reprise Years (38-Disc Box Set from UMG)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

FS-Reprise-Years-sticker.jpg

NOTE: The title "THE REPRISE YEARS" appears only on this removable outer sticker and on the spine of the hardcover book. The only text on the outside of the all-black linen-covered box is a silver "THE Frank Sinatra COLLECTION" (with "Frank Sinatra" in the usual FSE signature logo script), on the front of the lid. Very "classy," indeed.

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I am already well on my way to picking up the reprise output on vinyl. Is there much here that is not available on vinyl?

3. Bob F

Nothing that I can think of, except the 1986 overdubbed replacement for "Mack the Knife" on L.A. IS MY LADY. (The "Roses of Picardy" bonus track on GREAT SONGS FROM GREAT BRITAIN appeared only on the Japanese vinyl, I think.)

4. Bob F

I hate reporting mistakes, but...
    Albert-K.jpg
    I doubt Duke Ellington would have been pleased by the label on this disc.

CBackley likes this.
  5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Unbelievable!

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

just :laugh:

we should start a pool on when the next Sinatra archival release will be perfect. I'm beginning to think never...still its a minor one, better on a disc than on the original album cover or a problem on the cd itself.

I'm sure they won't be "replacing" any copies with this gaffe...

but that made my day....:D

7. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Albert King?

:D

[​IMG]

8. Bob F

You'd win the pool, William. I just discovered another one, a rather major printing error in the book. See my post at the SFF: Another mistake...

:cussing:

9. serge

serge Forum Resident

I would also pay 100 $ max...its ridiculous to charge this much for catalog.

10. DJ WILBUR

I know I'd win...hahaha...it's so nice to see your contribution at the SFF. there is nothing quite like that "headslam" emoticon over there, really we need that over here too...:D

11. Ian Bradley

Ian Bradley Forum Resident

I know there is a blizzard of questions coming your way, Bob, about this release - and sorry to add another one - but (whenever you have a minute!)

were these three TV specials actually recorded in stereo? I ask because I have the original Region 1 releases in the cardboard cases - which I always kept because (AFAIK), these are in glorious mono. When these shows were first released here in Region 2 land, I believe they were in some kind of fake stereo. I find it hard to believe that TV shows were being recorded in stereo in the late sixties - stereo telly must have been at least twenty-five years away - though, of course, it could be quite possible. Anyway - any expert knowledge either way, gratefully received!

12. Bob F

brick_wall.gif [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. bluesbro

Damn. Do they even care? :mad:

14. DJ WILBUR

15. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Christmas came early for Bob...

I'm jealous.

What a great thread, I love all the thumbnails of the cover art, on the " All Alone" pic is it supposed to be Frank, I always think it looks like a cross between Bing Crosby and Val Doonican .

I haven't got a couple of these albums including " Cycles" although THE song I have been playing a lot of these past few months is " My Way Of Life" I absolutely adore this song.

Good job Bob, something tells me you're a bit of a Frank fan ;) :D

16. bluesbro

All Alone is probably my favorite Sinatra album cover.

CBackley likes this.
  17. Bob F

The box came right on time... Yesterday was the first night of Chanukah. ;)

18. DJ WILBUR

Happy Chanukah Bob...:cheers:

19. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Happy Chanukah then Bob, have a good one.:righton:

Christmas in the UK it is tradition to open a box of crackers with dinner, Bob's opened a real....
    Cracker.

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

As much as that would be nice...at $100 that would be about $2.75 a disc....catalog or not thats not a high enough profit margin for a record company...at the Amazon UK rate it works out to about $8 a disc which isn't too bad.

21. wave

wave Forum Resident

Sinatra seemed to like it himself (from Frank Sinatra: The Family Album):

IMG_0002.jpg

+1

22. wave

wave Forum Resident

And another (from Sinatra: An Intimate Portrait of a Very Good Year):

Attached Files:

23. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I remember buying the 20-CD Reprise box set for about $100, years ago. Recently, the Capitol paper sleeve Sinatra box set was selling for about $2 a disc.

The 88 CD Yo-Yo Ma box set recently sold for $230. That's alittle less than $2.75 a disc.

The 71 CD Miles Davis Complete Columbia box set sold for about $209. Again, paper sleeves.

Course, I've been finding 'used' Sinatra CDs for $1. They are not in mint condition, but they play. I remember the Sinatra market for LPs, it was flooded during the LP era. The same is starting with the CD market. Sinatra has been re-issued a few times on CD. He's becoming pretty common.

24. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Indeed, Bob! :righton:

And sorry you had to be on the receiving end of all those bad vibes on the SFF. This was the first time I was back there since they were mean to you and Will due to your views on the Concord Sinatra-Jobim release. I won't go back again....

25. Bob F

The 1998 box, not the 1995 suitcase, I presume. That's when it was still in print, and it was not a limited edition. Difficult to find it used for less than $300 today (many times more for the suitcase). :)