Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #18)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronth, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Good enough for some Marais. I saw "Tous les matins du monde" and I know he stole it all from Monsieur de Sainte Colombe and even destroyed his daughter's life. How good a boy do you have to be to listen to his music? :D

2. John S

John S Forum Resident

There's a reason why most library discs are there. They're donated by people who've decided they have better stuff to listen to. That's OK, we great unwashed bottom feeders are happy to have something rather than nothing.

As for this set, I simply burned CD-Rs of that box and use it occasionally as background at work. Recently I noticed some of the Amazon critics waxing poetic about the Fourth (my favorite of the five PCs) of this set. I'm going back to re-listen to see if I missed something.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

A lovely box. :righton:

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Funny I was thinking that after I posted em! :righton:

5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I'm sorry to say that at this moment I can't remember who the conductors were. I'm pretty sure at Carnegie Hall though it was the Bavarian RSO. That should tell me who the conductor was, but I'm drawing a blank. Ugh.

Re Bronfman on disc, I'm actually not near so familiar with his recordings as I am from having heard him in performance. His Beethoven concertos were extremely well reviewed. I may get them soon but have not heard them yet. Same goes for a disc of Brahms sonatas with Nikolaj Znaider.

I have his Prokofiev sonatas (excellent, but haven't listened to in a while) and Mussorgsky's "Pictures," also excellent, which can be had at budget price, coupled with Giulini conducting the Ravel orchestration. That might be a good choice if you're not already overstuffed with recordings of those pieces.

7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Oh, you're absolutely right, they're both top-notch. I knew as I dashed off that short list I was forgetting some. Nelson Freire's recent recordings are great as well.

According to the Penguin Guide, Ivan Moravec's is the best. Who knew? I haven't heard them.

But, I did listen to Geza Anda's 1960 recording, with the BPO and Fricsay conducting, this afternoon. I had not known this, but there is also a 1968 recording with Karajan, which I do not have, and have not heard. This 1960 recording was very good, only adding to my love for this pianist, but probably not among the very best. The first movement seems a bit broad, almost anticipating the wistful feel of the third. In the second movement however he shines, and the momentary melodic interlude that is my favorite moment in the piece (and thereby I suppose my favorite moment in music) is done perfectly, with the left and right hands distinct and perfectly balanced. I wish I knew how to describe this passage better -- I have a printout of the score in my office, and if I remember, I will try to locate it so I can identify it better in a follow-up post. Anda and Fricsay also seem exceptionally strong in drawing distinctions in character between various melodic phrases; some mysterious and beguiling, some bright . . . It is a very good performance. Recording is not perfectly transparent, not surprising given that it's from 1960, but it's strong, with excellent stereo separation (you can clearly hear the strings across the soundstage).

This by the way came from an excellent set called "Troubadour of the Piano," in DG's Original Masters, which also includes a phenomenal Schumann Concerto -- maybe my favorite there.

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

This one is great. 35214.JPG

Of course his Pictures could never top Richter's live version which is incredible.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

I am a huge Moravec fan, but I cannot agree with the Penguin Guide's assessment. I assume they refer to the Supraphon set? It's a good set, but many others achieve greatness in their recordings of these two Piano Concertos. Gilels, Barenboim, Szell and Fliesher come to mind.

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

It occurred to me earlier today that it is a great shame there is no extant recording of Gieseking in the Brahms, AFAIK. He was a great pianist, capable of anything, broad romantic sweep, power, poetry and tenderness, and utterly without fear.

So I went looking, and apparently there is a recording of him in the first two movements only. Hard to find CD but available for download on Amazon. I may try it.

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I like your phrase "momentary melodic interlude" and I concur and that Anda is quite often able to bring those passages to life. I have noticed that with Anda and with more than one composer in Anda's interpretations. As you say, he is not always that successful in every movement.

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just ordered this CD set this evening to add more recordings by Valery Gergiev to my Tchaikovsky collection. Tchaikovsky Symphonies certainly suit my mood in these not so happy days ...

[​IMG]

13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Well done. The 5th recorded (and issued separately in the late 90s) some years before (98) than the other two (early 00s) was and still is a revelation. Captured in Salzburg during the summer festival; the audience goes crazy (in the live broadcast recording you can hear this better). Highly recommended set.

4th and 6th were issued also as SACD.

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

Brahms wrote the piece on the occasion of his receiving an honorary doctorate from the University of Breslau. Now, understand, Brahms had a sardonic sense of humor, and he was as far from a denizen of the ivory tower as you can imagine: from humble roots in the bad part of Hamburg, down by the docks. Thus, to satisfy the university's expecation of a learned occasional piece, he wrote this formally structured overture built on a bunch of well-known German student drinking songs. In short, a musical thumbing of the nose at the establishment. What a character the man was!

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i read a book by Richter,probably this one, and found it fascinating.very
    intellectual & sensitive,but with some truck-driver bluntness as well.

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Gergiev conducts this week his Mariinsky Orchestra in Athens: Tchaikovsky VC (Kavakos) and Mahler 5th! Adrenaline loaded!!

17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

IMO, Klemperer and Barenboim give full justice to the work. I love it!:righton:

18. Graphyfotoz

ImportCDs.com is starting to tick me off! Pathetically S L O W shipping!! :realmad:

I ordered Du Pre Set and David Oistrakh Set Nov 25th.

(Tracking as of 5:00am today)
    Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, December 03, 2010, 2:38 am, BELL, CA 90201
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, December 01, 2010
    Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, November 26, 2010, 6:00 pm, CARSON, CA 90746
    Picked Up by Shipping Partner, November 26, 2010, 6:00 pm, IRVINE, CA 92614

19. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001BJ83TE/ref=oss_product

Move fast: 18 GB pounds (4 cds)

Bruckner: Symphonie Nr. 8
    +Mozart: Symphonien Nr. 35 "Haffner" & 41 "Jupiter";
    Klavierkonzert Nr. 21
    +Brahms: Ein deutsches Requiem
    +Berger: Sinfonia parabolica
    +Einem: Klavierkonzert op. 20
    +Honegger: Symphonie Nr. 3 Künstler: Geza Anda, Lisa Della Casa, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Wiener Singverein, Berlin PO, Wien PO, Herbert von Karajan

Attached Files:

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Clemens Kraus with Friedrich Wuhrer might have been a contender if the sound, at least on the cheap CD issue that I have, weren't so poor (and you know that I'm about as far from demanding state-of-the-art sonics as it's possible to get). Heavily filtered; I need to go back to the original LP and give *it* another spin, as it's been so many years that I don't remember how the thing stacks up but for a vague recollection that it was not one of Vox's standout successes. Here I go with another of those "out of print and now obscenely expensive" choices, but my favorite account is a concert performance by Rudolf Serkin at the piano with forces from the Marlboro Festival conducted by his son Peter, part of a 2-CD Marlboro anniversary set: http://www.amazon.com/Marlboro-Musi...UAOE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291639221&sr=8-3 Actually, I see that several used copies are available right now for around $12-14; usually the price asked seems to be several multiples of that. I'd strongly recommend grabbing one if you have any interest in this work at all (the couplings are also well worth having). I'm not familiar with either Serkin's other venture(s) into the work on records.

As to the work itself, I think it's a lot of fun, Beethoven with his hair let down a bit. I have actually caught it in concert a time or so, and it's much more so in that way than on records, where balancing the piano against the orch., particularly in the coda, seems to be a perpetual bugaboo. At least in that Marlboro recording, it makes an excellent speaker demonstrator, too, because it has everything: solo piano, separate extended passages for several of the orchestral choirs, solo vocal, choral vocal, and full orchestra with and without chorus. Don't know how many here have been following that discussion about audiophiles and neutrality over in the hardware section (I've been lurking sporadically), but this would be my nominee for one-stop favorite test in that regard.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Hey Guys, with this CD:

[​IMG]

Play on a regular CD player? A friend ripped the files and told me that they are huge. Over 1GB for one CD.

22. Graphyfotoz

It's a HDCD so that don't surprise me at all!!
    SPECTACULAR CD I might add......got it a few months back. :righton:
    Yes I play it on my standard CD player and it sounds amazing!

23. blase_faire

blase_faire New Member

Great Young Composer from the UK - Konstantin Boyarsky

Hello,

Here are a few articles I wrote about a great violist and composer named Konstantin Boyarsky. I think his work with his group, Trio Boyarsky, is some of the best among new/modern composers. Check out his music samples!

The first part of the article/interview can be read here.

The second part is here.

Thanks!

24. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

They shipped these using Media Mail, which can be slow sometimes. Stop whining.

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

This happened to me with a package (non-musical) that was coming from upstate NY. It can happen sometimes with larger packages (larger than a single CD envelope, that is) that aren't sent Priority Mail. When they pack the trucks, everything Priority goes on the truck, and then, if there is room, they'll put Media Mail and Parcel Post on the truck.

I waited nearly two weeks for my package to get to me from the next state over, while it languished in a Jersey City post office (a third state, no less).

I'm waiting for the Du Pre set, too, btw. And I haven't even gotten notice that they've sent the other two box sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.