Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Right time for string quartets it seems. Jut got this old Amadeus Quartet CD THE COLOGNE YEARS and it is okay, but for some reasons (maybe the kitsh cover or the briliant tonal beauty of this byperion recording) I keep on returing to The Takacs Quartet and their Brahms.
    Warmth of tone and richness of detail paired with painstaking perfection during the recording (no moving chairs or breathing musicians) this is so polished and wonderful you just have to love it...

Linked the album cover couple times already, hey why not if it looks so good ?

BTW The Auryn Quartet just released another Haydn DoCd Op 72-78 on Tacet

The word's best quartet with the by far best composer for this type of music and on the best sounding label, seems this is going to be a christams gift for myself...

Attached Files:

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Audiophile Tchaikovsky ballet

You seem to be into Tchaikovsky ballet lately, Lee. Check this one out: Fedotov/Mariinsky Theater Orchestra (formerly Kirov Orchestra) on JVC XRCD from 1997, in-print for a minute, and with unbelievable sound. Found a copy in the bins last month for $7, flipped for $70 on Amazon. Better than Fistoulari? I am far from a Tchaikovsky authority -- he's just above Rachmaninoff as my least favorite 'major' composer -- but I think it's just as good. One recording of Swan Lake is plenty for me, though.

Attached Files:

3. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I believe that they are commenting on a big orgy of orders that took place during a very good offering thanks to tipsters in this thread and there was some doubt if they would ship any, some or all. And as to when they would ship. Personally, I think it’s a great service to all - especially for those with certain [STRIKE]addictions[/STRIKE] hobbies. :winkgrin:

4. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

For the Petrouchka, certainly one of the best.

5. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I think thats what keeps all of us interested in Classical....your not the only one! :D

There is plenty to contribute!
    Asking questions about certain works yields answers from the veterans that we can ALL learn from.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions.....that's how I have made some spectacular additions to my Collection! :righton:

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Petrouchka

Pollini owns that piece, but don't pass up Miss Wang if you want a fresher sound. In the heyday, DG seldom (never?) got a piano to sound right, IMO.

Attached Files:

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

An all time classic!

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

-Futwangler/BPO/30 june 43/this is what recreation is about - evil and tortured 5th. A milestone in music.-

-Klemperer/VPO, DG (issued 15 years ago in a VPO commemorative set but now vailable in an expensive Testament set; a live version to die for)

-Giulini/LAPO, DG (amazingly driven passionate and heroic)

and - why not - for another mood:

-Gardiner/Archiv

Attached Files:

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I kinda agree.

I find it a little frustrasting.

I'm not expecting an essay, or even an in depth analysis, but it would be nice if people just said if they liked it, were blown away, thought it was ok or it didn't do much for them. Just two or three words really.

In a conversation if someone says 'I was listening to X today' you expect them to go on and make some comment.

It might be just me who thinks this, as I am relatively new to classical and so crave people's opinions and recommendations.

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

You're welcome! :wave:

I had the initial idea, but since then, many of regular contributors have helped shape it into what it is now.

Wow, I am very touched to read this.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have about Classical music. Very often, questions from a newcomer spur on some of our most interesting discussions. :righton:

11. George P

Sometimes they do, later on in the thread. Or someone else asks a question about it an it generates a long discussion.

And sometimes I post a lengthy impression of what I am listening to and get no responses. It doesn't bother me, but at the same time, sometimes I prefer to just post what I am listening to and don't add other info unless someone asks for it. I like to see what other people are listening to and want to state that the thread is for all things Classical. There are things that I don't need/like to read about too, but I just skim over them.

12. George P

Exactly. :agree:

13. Graphyfotoz

Agree 110%!! :righton:

14. Graphyfotoz

How is the sound quality of this old Furtwangler recording on Grammophone?
    I'd love to add some of these old recordings to my Collection but leary of their quality.

15. Graphyfotoz

DON'T STOP THOSE TIPS FROM ROLLING IN!!
    That's a big contributing part of this thread and has saved many of us a wad of dinero!!
    Mentioning the status of orders....helps others determine the reliability of vendor.

16. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It is acceptable by all means. However some prefer the Music and Arts or Tahra releases (avoid all these italian cds though).

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Only if it relates to the Beatles. :D

I posted on shipping status. In my case I did it because I was so surprised that a "too good to be true" offer turned out to be true.

18. john greenwood

I have the first SACD (not the SHM-SACD - is there an Esoteric as well?). Sound is adequate.

19. john greenwood

Anyone know this version?

Attached Files:

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I like the sound of the SACD, I listen to the stereo layer.

Original LP pressings of Carlos Kleiber's Beethoven 5th are extraordinarily lucid, well above DGG's mid-seventies average.

21. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

this may be considered sacrilege, but in general i find i do better listening to historic performances on my computer or a smaller system (or even a 'boom box'!). if i try them on my 'big rig', often the inadequacies of the recording jump to the fore, but on a non-hifi system your expectations are different.

i'm a huge fan of furtwangler and think his interpretations are often definitive in his insights into a score. but if your enjoyment is linked to the audio quality it may be an uphill battle. having said that, you have to differentiate between the different categories of furtwangler recordings. those made during the war were on done on a magnetophone which gave good results but were intended just to play on the radio so there weren't high expectations for playback. still, many of those recordings have a sense of thrust and dark urgency that's quite unique. after the war there are also live recordings but a handful of studio discs. the studio discs are quite good representations of the state of recording at the time, so, mono with some tape hiss... par for the course for the time. the live discs are all over the map depending on the recording circumstances. and the unfortunate truth is that furtwangler didn't like the recording process, so most of the studio discs really don't give you a good or accurate picture of his genius. one notable exception is his studio schubert symphony 9 on DG, as well as his wagner tristan and isolde, so maybe those are good places to start since the performances are still considered rather definitive...

22. Graphyfotoz

I know what ya mean.
    I had to tweak my system 50 ways to Sunday for Fidelio.
    (Having DSP with todays modern equipment can be a pain with these old mono recordings)
    Once I got the sweet spot I found it to be a spectacular vintage recording.
    My guess is it was done with high end equipment for the time.

Also about this piece..
    Was it someone here that told me or did I find it in my research of the Performance....that this recording came from Furwanglers Widow?
    Something about the original recording being destroyed?

[​IMG]

23. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

i checked john ardoin's 'the furtwangler record' and there's no mention of the provenance of that recording. n.b. there's also the live '53 performance that some, including ardoin, consider superior (just dob't confuse it with the EMI studio version from the same year!).

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

All great Fifths. I have all of them or had all at one time also. I would say I listen to the 1963 Von Karajan more than the Kleiber 5th. Better sound IMHO. :cheers:

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Along the lines of my previous posts...now playing what I believe is the best Isle of the Dead on record. Anyone agree? Disagree?

ansermet.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.