Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #19)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Haven't heard that one, but I have heard that Ashkenazy's is one of the greats. Bought it awhile back but haven't spun it yet.

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I agree. Therefore, I have been listening to and posting what I believe to be the greatest (or one of) performances of various pieces. Agreements and disagreements welcome. I will give my detailed reasons why if need be. :cheers:

3. Rose River Bear

All great but for the Gardiner IMHO. :cheers:

4. Rose River Bear

I have not heard it? Do you have it? Do you recommend? LIke I really need another Pictures. I already own around 15.:eek:

5. Rose River Bear

I think this is the best. Even tops Ashky, Reiner, et al. :cheers:

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

No - I was curious. I enjoy classical guitar a lot including many transcriptions, but that seemed a real stretch.

7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I love the Ansermet but I only have a few to compare with it -- the Koussevitzky, the Horenstein, and Reiner. I wish Anissimov would record it. I liked his Rachmaninov discs for Naxos, especially the symphonic poems.

8. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

My last 3 sets from ImportCDs shipped:

Alban Berg Quartet-Beethoven: The Complete String Quartets
    The Complete Emi Recordings 1946-1984, Vol. 1: Orchestral
    The Complete Emi Recordings 1946-1984, Vol. 2: Opera & Vocal

I'm totally gonna take an epic haul picture when everything arrives.

9. Rose River Bear

I have all the recordings you listed. I think the Ansermet tops Reiner. :cheers:

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Been listening to a lot of Ansermet's work lately. Outstanding performances.

11. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I have a CD of this, though without The Firebird. Personally, I found it interesting but definitely frustrating in parts where, like the piano version IMO, it just cannot compete with the fullness and power of Ravel's orchestration. Those parts REALLY leave me wanting. But where it works, it's a pretty refreshing view.

There is one bit, however, which I have to admit really lets me down badly. In the ending sequence, he changes one of the minor chords to what I think is a major, but might be something little more complex than that. (I don't have the musical knowledge to identify it with complete confidence.) And it really ruins the climax for me. Since that's likely to be my own hangup, I'll say that, though not quite a must-own, it's probably still worth it provided it's not too expensive.

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Exactly, especially the part about the [STRIKE]enablers[/STRIKE] tipsters.

Amazingly, it seems that now all of the items I ordered during that order-orgy have shipped. I was kind of surprised, but I'm pretty stoked about it.

13. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Sweet! Did you end up getting the Cziffra?

That really was a crazy time, huh? The set was like 9 bucks! It's now back to $150!

14. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Nah, decided to pass. I have some self-control.

15. john greenwood

My HvKs as well. I never thought 'd see them (at that price).

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Oh, so you think you're better than us, do you?

Just kidding. I read your message and laughed out loud.

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Am now listening to Pollini in Schumann's "Davidsbundlertanze." Schumann and Pollini are a good match, I think.

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i would have to root out others in my collection,but i just played this one &
    it's very good.an early Decca stereo recording,apparently done by Roy Wallace.sound is pretty good, but there seemed to be some distortion on
    the brass during the most intense section.
    ever seen the Boris Karloff film "inspired" by & titled after this piece ?

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I agree, but then again I'm partial to many of 'clinical' Pollini's disks. Re Davidsbundlertanze, I've read a couple rave reviews of Mitsuko Uchida's new Schumann recital disc, something to look forward to. Been listening to Backhaus all day today. Talk about realistic piano sound -- brilliant, lifelike, almost 3-D -- courtesy of Decca's Kenneth Wilkinson, the polar opposite of that opaque, grey, dull DG piano engineering from 60's till 90's. Were it not for tape hiss I would have no idea it was a 50 year-old recording. Genius disc all-around (Brahms concerti w/ Böhm + late piano pieces), Backhaus was one of the great Brahms players. There is also a King Super Analogue 180g vinyl reissue of the solo works, btw.

20. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I just received an e-mail notice from Importcd's. All fifteen of my boxes are now here or on the way. I just wanted to thank once again whoever first posted this sale here. You made my year.

I'm more than happy with what I have but it's funny how I could think of about 50 more EMI boxes to order now. The day of the sale it just seemed to good to be true and my brain froze up at fifteen.

21. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I kinda wish I had ordered more.
    Was a little skeptical of the sold out ones....
    Didn't know if they would restock and honor the sale price.

My David Oistrakh is lost in the mail at this point....fault of my mail carrier tho.

The Du Pre set is awesome!
    Came in a Quality Glossy fold open box with all 17 CD's in individual sleeves.

Can't believe the deal we got on these.....gotta love this Forum!! :edthumbs:

22. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

You really had nothing to lose if you used Google Checkout like I did. They didn't charge my credit card until they shipped.

23. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

I used PayPal so your right I really had nothing to lose....I'm still happy just the same!

24. john greenwood

I bought through their website, and they didn't charge me until shipping.

25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Today is the 20th anniversary of the pianist Natan Brand's death. For those who don't know about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natan_Brand

I have been in email contact with his widow over the past week. She has told me that she has some copies of his only studio recording (pictured below.) This is a critically acclaimed CD that is now OOP an extremely hard to find. The piano sound on this CD is absolutely gorgeous and the performances are out of this world. Unfortunately, some of these CDs were also defective, making non-defective copies that more more difficult to find. If you are interested in getting a copy, PM me and I will put you in touch with her. She's very nice and accepts Paypal. She will be checking the CDs before shipping, so they will be opened, but they will be otherwise new.

Here's an image of the CD:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.