No new music for me in 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pete Puma, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

That’s it; I'm done collecting music until January 1, 2012. I bought more music in 2010 than any other year of my life. I have only listened to a fraction of what I bought and I clearly have a problem. My solution is cold turkey; I will buy no more music for 12 months. I have a lot to catch up on, including several box sets and tons of old stuff that I never seem to find time to listen to.

My wife and kids have tried to discourage this resolution, as obsessive music collecting is my only vice and they think I deserve one, but I am going to prove to myself that I can control the urge to buy more music.

Anybody else with a similar problem and resolution for the new year?

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh I have a similar problem; but I don't think I could make that resolution. :) But I commend anyone who could do it.

3. Pete Puma

I still have to pull it off...:sigh: but I think I can do it.

4. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've got the problem alright!

But I'll never stop, I still get the same excitement buying a new album as I did when I bought my first 36 years ago aged 9, but I totally know where you're coming from. :help:

5. 905

905 Senior Member

I think I'll try this. One more trip to CD Warehouse for the year and I'll be done until '12.

6. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

I have the same problem, but I can't stop.

7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Well, you still have one week (in 2010) to buy all the stuff you can't get next year...:)

8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've managed to do that for one month, but I don't think I could do it for the whole year. Good luck!

9. Pete Puma

Yeah, I actually may make one more trip to Newbury Comics before the end of the week, there a couple of disks I want to get to help me get through the next year.

10. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Good for you! I couldn't do it, frankly. I do manage to stick to my budget though (small consolation!). Good luck!

11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I don't make resolutions like that..I just know that the minute I decide to stop buying music a 180 grams vinyl re-release comes along that I have to have. Or McCartney decides to release a masterpiece, or the Penguin Cafe Orchestra releases a new album with Simon Jeffe's son Arthur at the helm (true!).
    Good luck with the resolution and keep us posted!

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

If you can pull it off, you're a stronger-willed man than I. ;)

13. 905

905 Senior Member

I may have to make an exception if the upcoming McCartney reissues are good, though.

14. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm with ya!

...except for a few key releases.

15. Pete Puma

They will still be there waiting for you in 2012.:)

16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Matt- Who is your avatar of? I tried 'tineye.com' but couldnt figure it out from the results...?

17. 905

905 Senior Member

Natalie Wood

18. Pete Puma

She looks like Natalie Wood to me...

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Ahh...thats why I sorta recognized her. Thanks!

20. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I've resolved to try to not buy something every week. That's the best I can do. Problem is, I'll probably end up buying twice as much on my buy weeks.

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

No ... too much music is barely enough, and so there's no problem to fix IMHO.

--Geoff

22. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

No! Front-load your NY resolution, or you may end up buying the albums I want over there!

23. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

My name is James and I am a vinylholic!

JG

24. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

I won't be buying any new CDs this year.

14 months ago I got my first decent vinyl setup and have been happily picking up my favorites on vinyl while parting with hundreds of CDs. I used to buy anywhere from 50-200 CDs a year, so it'll be strange to not buy one. Not nearly as challenging as what you have in front of you, as I'm still buying vinyl.

There's bound to be a time for many when you realized you're not going to live to be 243 years old and it just doesn't make sense to have vast collections when there is only so much time to listen to it. I've reduced the # of CDs I have by 1,000 in the last few years and couldn't be happier about it.

Good luck!

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Good luck. I love buying too much to do it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.