Star Wars coming to Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

We've known it was coming for a little while now, but the official announcement, release date, and pricing were made available today. Here's a link:

http://starwars.com/themovies/saga/preorder_bluray/index.html

Now for the bad news: the press release makes no mention of which versions of the films we're getting, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that the original versions will NOT be included!:(

At first I was pleased that the two trilogies will be available separately, because I don't think I really want to own the prequels, but it looks like the separate trilogy sets contain JUST the movies, no bonus features discs. To get the bonus discs you have to purchase all six films.

I dunno, I don't hate the special editions THAT much, so I'm not sure if I should hold out in hopes that the originals will ever be released on blu-ray or not. We'll see.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

3. Bryan

I watched most of the original trilogy in HD on SpikeTV over Christmas and it didn't look all that amazing. Then again, I know some of those signals can be severely compressed even if they are technically "HD."

How much you wanna bet that the original trilogy will be DNR'd to hell, to make it look more "modern."

4. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

What I dont get is that they "clean up" old movies and remove grain that should be their and then with new movies add grain. What planet am I on...:confused::realmad:

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

. . . of the apes? :D

6. Bryan

It was Earth! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

This may be the first BluRay to outsell DVD.

Avatar 2nd edition was 49/51, when the DVD market usually had 80/20 over Blu.

8. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

Actually, the restoration process for the DVDs already removed the majority of the grain from the original trilogy while leave a surprising amount of detail intact. I don't see why they would have to go over it again.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Don't worry- if you don't like these versions on Blu-Ray; there will be 3 or 4 more releases to come I'm sure.

10. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

That was work was only done to the special editions. The original trilogy has essentially been frozen in time since the laserdisc releases. What's sad is that it would actually be pretty easy to include both versions of the film on one blu ray and just use branching. I imagine that could save some time in restoration because they'd only have to fix parts of the original that had new special effects. But that won't happen.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've seen the special features before. Don't really want to watch them again, so I can deal with movie only discs of the original trilogy. Not sure I'll buy them, though. I'd buy a set with the original and changed versions, but I think no original versions is a dealbreaker for me. I bought these on VHS, bought them on DVD. Not buying again until they get it right.

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I don't own a blu-ray player but if this announcement had mentioned the original originals being released I would be at the store right now buying one. Instead I am here.

13. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

I toyed with the thought of ordering it but the thought of seeing Hayden in the place of Sebastian Shaw at the end of Return of the Jedi made me come to my senses. No OOTs, no sale.

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yup. Course I'd then have to get a HD TV too but I'm not ready to get divorced :D

15. Bryan

I'm not entirely familiar with branching, but wouldn't that only work for deleted scenes? In the case of the original trilogy special editions, there's CGI and other stuff inserted into scenes that were already in the original release. Not sure branching can take care of that.

16. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

:D:D:wave:

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Guess I'll be sticking to my laser discs. Unfortunately, my new tv didn't come with an S-video input, so I can only use the worst, single RCA connection method, or watch it letter boxed on a 32" 4X3

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

$200 in Canada.

Sticker shock for any 3/6 movie package.

19. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

No original, no sale. Lucas is out of his mind insane. What a nutjob.

20. Bryan

That's just the suggested retail price. Amazon (US) already has the six-film boxset for only $90 USD. Check Amazon.ca.

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Amazon.ca

Complete Saga $125.99 Cdn.

Individual trilogies $62.99 Cdn per set.

22. Bryan

What's weird is that I just checked and the exchange rate is nearly 1:1 right now for the US and Canada. Is cost of living just higher up there, or what?

23. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

He'll sell them first without the original versions, and then a couple of years down the line he'll repackage them with the originals.

And everyone will buy them all over again!

24. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

RCA is actually most likely the better hookup, especially on a newer TV as the comb filter will probably be better than the LD player's. LD video is composite.

The 32" is probably the better choice (compare s-video to composite hookup to see which looks best). I thought the SW LDs looked quite good on my 90s 30-some inch TV, but were unwatchable on my widescreen projector. The non-SE DVDs were enough of an upgrade in video to be watchable on my projector. It's still pretty bad but the SE DVDs make me ill.

25. Bryan

Except the original versions will be done completely half-assed, in standard-definition DVD quality, just like how the ones available right now on DVD are half-assed laserdisc transfers. Just out of spite that George Lucas has towards his fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.