Beatles archivist on "Let It Be", Shea film and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I hope these titles come out in my lifetime. I recall the Red and Blue cd releases back in the 90's. The resurrected In Concert show on ABC showed a promo video of "Ticket to Ride" that I haven't seen since and also the "Hello Goodbye" in plain clothes. I'd really like to see a promo films dvd. But even then, I doubt they would include all versions of the songs. They could do a nice montage of some, like they did in Anthology.

3. paustin

paustin Member

wow I'd love to have his job...just pure bliss

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks Steve!
    I will stay "Positive" Washington D.C. is shown around the world. It would be a shame in this i-generation to put it away after all the work.
    T.A.M.I show was real treat! Come on Apple get back to where you once belonged.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The possibility of a colour blu-ray with surround sound is quite intriguing.

Shea, and the music videos. MMT and LIB are also possible.

The Shea could have some interesting audio options: original, overdubs broadcast version plus those 2 options without screaming in stereo and surround. Plus a Ringo/Paul commentary that includes some soundbites from George/John.

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

After reading that link, I want to see all the material released Ron worked on, even more.

7. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

'All the various forms of the Beatles' footage seen up to last November have been incomplete, missing "Long Tall Sally" and other incidental footage. When the Beatles finally hit iTunes in the middle of that month, the concert with unseen footage was included in the Beatles box set and also allowed to be streamed online until the end of the year.'

Which box set?

8. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

The digital box set that Itunes is selling as a downoad (same as black stereo box) has the concert as a bonus download when you buy it.

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It’s so strange that most of this has been sitting there since 1995. CD and DVD sales are declining and original fans of the Beatles aren’t getting any younger. Just put it out!

10. SoundAdvice

Those potential sales number are a drop in the bucket compared the money they raked with exclusive deals with itunes etc...

11. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I know. Why go to all that trouble and all that expense if it is just going to sit in the archives, seen by only a select few? Just defies comprehension.

12. SoundAdvice

So the original reels don't rot? Plus the copyright on those remastered films only begin when they are released.

13. AKA

AKA Senior Member

So Derek Taylor, a man who's been dead more than thirteen years, has seen the restored Let It Be... which still hasn't been released? Wow.

14. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Getting Shea Stadium onto DVD after 46 years doesn't have to be 'the musical event of the year'.

15. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I attended the first major Beatles convention in Boston named (Magical Mystery Tour) in Aug 74 where Ron Furmanek showed his collection of films. I had no idea at the time that Ron was to become the man that would work on The Beatles official video library. I loved hearing the story of Ron showing his Shea film to Lennon in his home in NYC. He was still collecting rare Beatles vinyl/memorabilia at the time--I had a mint Lady Madonna US Capitol lime green promo 45 he wanted real bad----funny how you remember such details. David Peel was in the lobby, etc--fun times.

16. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident Thread Starter

The complete Beatles iTunes downloads were sold as a package and called a "box set," even though they technically weren't. The concert footage was included with that. (I think it still is.) It was also streamed online on iTunes until the end of the year.

17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I don't know... maybe pure frustration... How about this for release I think the fans would love it...NO! The how about this...NO! I've put together some...NO! I just found a new track that...NO! How about a $200 White Album pen... Now you're talking!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ron's the best. Nobody knows about and cares about that footage more than he does.

19. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

the shea show is a favorite. Arthur Fiedler opening to the last note.

20. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

That's the first time I can recall Let It Be being described as "fun."

Shea Stadium's the only thing mentioned in there that super-excites me. If they do that, I'm happy. The promo films are boring to me, and I find Let It Be a pretty lifeless affair, but I tend to be a million times more interested in pre-1965 stuff in general. I would welcome an official release of all the BBC stuff more than any of this, frankly.

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've got to echo the pleadings of those here who say...

JUST RELEASE THE MATERIAL !!

None of us are getting any younger. Many of my Beatle fan friends have passed on who never had the chance to see these films in their superior glory, and I for one, am being selfish in hoping I can see this stuff before I go.

I just can't believe the legal harangings or, whatever it is, that's holding up all this material.

It irks me to no end, disappoints me wholly that there's such a long delay.

Come on...PLEASE JUST RELEASE THE MUSIC AND FILM !!!

Lots of us here grew up with The Beatles. It's only fair we get to experience this, not just the historians of the future.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You've had yer Beatles fun. These films and other goodies in the vault are for the next generation(s) entertainment which are going to need to see something new.

It is a long term strategy plan.

:winkgrin:

23. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

They can

GET OFF MY LAWN !!!

:magoo:

24. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Like when technology is good enough to show Shea in 3-D interactive in your living room, so you can 'stand on stage' with The Beatles and play along with them.

Make all this Rock Band, CD's, USB sticks and stuff look like cavemen playing with rocks. Of course, the boomers will be gone by then.

If nothing else, the current archivists have got their dusters out, keeping the raw materials preserved for who knows what.

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Seriously that's the TRUTH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.