Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #20)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

These days, Cortot is my go-to for Schumann. Nothing Lisztian about his approach. As good as his Chopin is, I think his Schumann is even better.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

No, I don't sorry. I can report when the CD arrives, though.

3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

We have at least two things in common, our opinion of Mahler symphonies, and the Ramones. :thumbsup:

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That'd be great, thank you.

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep, please do it! :wave:

EDIT: Oh, you've already done, at least partially...

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Pearl put out a CD of Debussy's, I mean Giesking's (how's that for a Freudian slip) Debussy/Ravel, but that thing is super rare. :sigh: How sad it is that EMI reissued the 50s recordings more times than I can count, yet never released them themselves on CD. :shake:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

The three Biddulph CDs by Cortot are among the crown jewels of my collection. Before hearing him play Schumann, I didn't much "get" the composer. From what you describe, I think Cortot's your man.

Natan Brand is another superb Schumann pianist IMO. Not much of his stuff has been made available in any format, but all of it is well worth seeking out. However, he falls into that Lisztian category you mentioned.

Richter is also one of the great Schumann interpreters. Also more of the Lisztian variety.

Those three are the very best IMO.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I don't have this specific issue, but a 2004 M&A release, with the same 1945 stereo Emperor (and a Beethoven First from 1948, with Kubelik). It is striking, the quality of the sound, for 1945. The middle movement is some of the best Gieseking you will hear. Rumor has it you can hear the rumble of anti-aircraft fire at various points in the first movement, though frankly I can't say I truly detected it myself, at least on the CD I have. And half the time I'm listening above the noise of more proximate emergencies, e.g. fire-engine sirens, anyway . . . :(

10. Now playing ...

[​IMG]

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, it's a special recording. I was lucky to find a second copy last year. I am trying to fund new purchases by selling off doubles in my collection, as money has been really tight.

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have that recording and do have a number of recordings on vinyl by Gieseking.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks, George, I really liked what I heard. :wave: I see there're several editions of Cortot's Schumann on different labels. Most, as the Biddulph, are OOP but still available somewhere (although prices aren't that friendly and delivery time is often too long to be promising).

The cheapest version which seems to be in print and easily available is on Andromeda label (I know, it's not well regarded) - can anybody comment on their usual quality please (samples aren't too bad but lo-fi streaming may be misleading)?

Also I've found the first volume of Cortot's Schumann on Pearl - at least it's almost twice cheaper than the Biddulph and is also really full-sounding, maybe even fuller.

Attached Files:

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Funny, I don't have a single CD on label.

I'd grab it!

16. Staying with Herr B.

[​IMG]

17. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Me too.

Maybe I'll try - next month, provided, my utility bills won't reach stratosphere again... :sigh: :wave:

18. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

My very subjective, personal rankings of Mahler symphonies

If we consider Das Lied a symphony, I would place it between 3 and 6.

And I love them all, some just more than others.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

My least favorites are the ones with Choral singers, my favorite is #6, especially the one by Barbirolli on EMI.

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Funny, I'm listening to the 6th right now (but the Bernstein/NY Philharmonic). I'm slowly working my way into Mahler and the Bernstein Box with the whole symphony cycle is a big help. I'm far from having a favourite yet, since the only one I know at least a little is the 2nd (of which I've owned a Kaplan/LSO for several years now).

Intriguing stuff, but not always easy at the first listening. Something to grow into.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Very well said. I agree.

22. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Been on the Zauberflöte trip this week. Listening to the Rene Jacobs new reading was like hearing a story, but I still didn't get the final solution. I thought the many narrator passages was unique till I checked a reading by Sir Charles Mackerras, wich had exactly the same spoken interludes (in german). The Jacobs is better, though..
    One day I will get how they managed to please the saints.

A special treat has been the D & G Gold Cd instrumental flute version of the magic flute ..Done with a historicla flute, that beongs to a mueum and is worth a fortune. An interesting label...

another highlight was the version by this talented lady. Her coloration beats those on the Jacobs version, which still is a must have for anybody interested in music !

Attached Files:

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It may change any day, but currently it probably looks like this:

Das Lied
    10 (The Cooke'd version)

24. ... and now to one of my most beloved recordings ...

[​IMG]

25. You guys should give 'Das Lied' a little more respect. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.