Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #20)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

That's Leontyne, not Aretha...

2. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I could have placed it above the 5th or 6th depending on my mood, although I like Klagende Lied better... :wave:

3. I like the latest Harmonia Mundi release with Jacobs, seems it borrowed the cover from ther earlier release.

[​IMG]

4. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Slowly working through this set in order, today I am listening to #7. Great sound and good performance, but I still much prefer Celibidache's EMI set.

5. I have the Wand set, have to put Celibidache on my list.

6. John S

John S Forum Resident

I don't have anything by Celibidache. Is his rep for being slow justified?

7. Ouch, just did a price check on it, mucho dinero. How does the Celibidache DG set compare?

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Not in the same league IMO.

The EMI set is transcendental. Worth every penny.

9. John S

John S Forum Resident

I trust you enjoyed some of Hitching Post's private label Pinot Noir ...

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Slow Talkers of America

[ molto ritardando e excessivo ]

. . . I . . .

. . . . . do . . . .

. . . . . . believe . . . . . .

. . . . . . . that's . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . quite . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . true . . . . . . . . .

11. Many thanks, might be a longer search then. :righton:

12. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing for a first listen:

Glazunov
    Orchestral Marches and Dances

Dargomizhsky
    Rusalka Overture

USSR State Symphony Orchestra/Grand Symphony Orchestra of TV and Radio/Evgeny Svetlanov
    Brilliant Classics "Evgeny Svetlanov Edition (Historical Russian Archives)" set, CD 2 of 10

A bit delayed pleasure - digging this cool Svetlanov collection bought last autumn...

Attached Files:

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, it was. Just as I believe he was justified in choosing show tempos for his EMI Bruckner recordings. The result is deeply spiritual and powerful.

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

Maybe that's why most of Bruckner goes right by me. B5 is OK though.

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I wish they (I'm not sure who are "they" - EMI's capitalists or Celi's family) could reissue Celi's Bruckner MUCH MUCH cheaper... It looks like a conspiracy - this set costs a fortune even during label offers. :thumbsdn:

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't understand. Maybe what's why?

17. George P

George P Notable Member

They've been discounting all their pianists in new sets, so maybe the Celi Bruckner will be next. But remember, you'll need a lot of time to hear it, so it's best not to wait too soon. :laugh:

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You should hear Bruckner played light and quickish, like Hans Rosebaud's Seventh or Jochum's DGG set—probably his EMI set as well.

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I respect your opinion George, however I don't agree with you or most classical music lovers on this.

IMO, Celi's tempo choices are ridiculous. All of the lyrical qualities and power are sucked out of the Bruckner symphonies under his hand. I usually never like recordings that are so off course from the composers original tempo markings.
    My beloved Bruckner 4th is reduced to a dirge under Celi.

There I said it...again. :cheers:

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Richter has also been criticized for his slow tempos in Schubert sonatas, but for me, it works incredibly well. Especially considering that like Bruckner's symphonies, I failed to really enjoy them before hearing these radical interpretations.

If I were Bruckner or Schubert, I would be pleased that my works were being successfully interpreted in very different ways and even more pleased to hear that so many people were enjoying my music. It would be a far bigger tragedy for people to not enjoy my music than for it to be interpreted in an extreme manner.

21. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You suggest I need a dementia of sorts relaxed state of mind to accomodate this set without urgency so typical for mid-aged IT freelancers? But there are plugins which change the speed without changing the pitch! So I may start at double speed and slow it down gradually... towards...... my.......... eightees................ :winkgrin:

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ok, just finished Mahler's 6th. What can I say? The 4th movement could have used MORE COWBELL! :laugh:

But seriously, I don't remember having consciously heard cowbell used in a symphony. This really broadens my horizon. And the movement's final beat startled me so much, I nearly peed my pants. Thanks a bunch, Gustav.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

mol---to———ri————tar—————dan——————do . . . . .

What you need is this:

[​IMG]

Play the Pachelbel side, that ought to warm you up to Celi.

24. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Me either.....before I get all fired up to get any of His work I hafta figure out how to pronounce/say His name! :laugh:
    I swear some of the names of the Composers and People who perform are a killer to figure out how to say their names!!

25. George P

George P Notable Member

I believe it's something like Sell-eh-beh-dahsh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.