Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #20)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

2. George P

George P Notable Member

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

It's my favorite symphony. Bernstein's CBS version in particular. Lots of people like it by Mitropolous, but its appeal eludes me. I like HvK's somewhat, but I eventually start to think about What Herbie Did during the War, and also the fact that I Could Be Listening to Bernstein, and I listen to Bernstein.

I liked Barbirolli's 6th somewhat, but I must have let someone borrow it, as I can't find it anywhere. There's a very lovely version on the Linn homepage, with all sorts of upper-echelon digitality to boast of. I should probably buy that one, too. I think it's conducted by Jonathan Darlington. If you're a fan of didge, it really does sound beautiful. http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-gustav-mahler--symphonie-no--6.aspx

4. Jay F

Oh, I would love to have been there. The first movement is one of the best things that ever happened to music.

5. Jay F

Celibadache = Chel lee buh DAH kay, right? Someone sounded it out for us last month, I think. It's given an Italian pronuciation because it's (he's?) Romanian.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

MTT's is also pretty good.

Lenny's version with the NYPO on Columbia is just devastating.

7. John S

John S Forum Resident

In the player:

Schubert
    The Last Four Quartets

Quartetto Italiano
    CD1 and CD 2

Attached Files:

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Beethoven
    Op. 2
    Backhaus
    Mono

9. Jay F

Love this.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

I bet their Schubert is great. I have their Beethoven and love it.

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's slow and stretchy and really plush sounding. Tokyo is more straightforward, the Busch Quartet is just about perfect in this repertoire if you're willing to adjust to the sound.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

Sunday morning music:

Erik Satie
    "The Magic of Satie"

Jean-Yves Thibaudet, piano

As seen in this album's booklet, I thought the portrait that Poulenc took of his friend and mentor was interesting.

Attached Files:

14. Jay F

I can get all caught up in the "recorded on 9-12" baggage, making this hard to listen to at times.

My favorite symphonic recording. Period. I'm so glad to have the DSD box set.

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Nice! Somebody be sure to let importcds.com know. :D

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

This morning I listened to Gieseking's 1930's recording of Debussy's Preludes, Book I. I'm not sure I would take it over his 1950's set, but the sound is very good for mid-30's.

Last night I played Alfred Brendel's recording of Beethoven's Piano Sonata in E-flat major, op. 27/1, "Quasi una fantasia" (no. 13), from his "farewell" concerts. It was his 80th birthday last week, which I only remembered this week, so I wanted to listen to him this weekend and I hadn't put this on before. Sort of a thick-sounding and close recording, but the performance is excellent, fluid (remarkably so for someone who was 77 or 78 at the time), well-judged, direct, not heavy-handed, all of what people who like Brendel (like me) say they like about Brendel. Here's what Jed Distler had to say though, which frankly confused me:

So what confused me was the reference to a "Scherzo." Is he talking about the second movement? I don't look for it to be humorous and carefree; I like it sounding somewhat darker and mysterious. I assume JD knows what he's talking about -- what am I missing? Help me out fellas.

I love the scene, by the way, in "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould," in which the hotel housekeeper hears this movement on the record-player, sees the LP cover, and looks over and recognizes Gould on the other side of the room.

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

Arrived this week:

Francis Poulenc
    CD 1
    Piano Concerto
    Pascal Rogé
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Charles Dutoit
    Sextet for Piano, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and Horn
    Rogé, et.al.
    Sonata for Two Pianos
    Bracha Eden & Alexander Tamir, pianos
    Concerto in d minor for two pianos and orchestra
    Bracha Eden & Alexander Tamir, pianos
    L’Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
    Sergiu Commissiona

That Piano Concerto sure is fun. I only know Poulenc from the Organ Concerto; this piano piece is quite different. Sounds cinematic...or is 'cinematographic' the right word? I was playing it at work and a co-worker came in and asked what movie soundtrack I was listening to.

Attached Files:

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Our Paw Model Clio points to the Van Cliburn/Fritz Reiner/CSO "White Dog" copy of Brahms' Second Piano Concerto, sounding mighty impressive through the Scott 299b. Great performance.

Attached Files:

20. After Steve started the thread I've been spinning some of my Classic Records gold CDs:

Ansermet, Orch. Suisse Romande
    Rimsky / Korsakov: Russian Easter Overture

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, Thanks for the link. This one is a keeper ... :righton:

22. coopmv

I thought the very first Classical Music Corner thread was started by George, not by SH. :confused:

23. coopmv

ImportCD certainly has been doing liquidation-like sales, which is often not a good sign for any etailers or retailers ...

24. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - Symphony No. 4 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A record that deserved a better fate. This Nonesuch disc of Paul Jacobs has a beautiful recording and is perfectly centered. Whoever owned it before me must have played it a lot. In any case, a surprising amount of Paul Jacob's beautiful tone color comes through on this disc, quite a wonderful record.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.