Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Re Perahia Brahms

Great disc, eh?

2. OE3

I wonder how long Mr. Wheeler has waited for Miss Wang in a red dress after the concert? :shh:

3. OE3

Now playing:
    • Othmar Schoeck: Elegie, Op. 36 (1921-1922) [Song cycle for Baritone and Chamber Orchestra after poems by Nikolaus Lenau and Joseph von Eichendorff] - Andreas Schmidt (bar); Werner Andreas Albert/Musikkollegium Winterhur [cpo 1998, recorded February 27 - March 1, 1997, Recording supervisor and editing: Hans Ott]

Attached Files:

4. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Glad to see someone other than me sampling the little known composers. :righton:

5. ... now even I would make exceptions. :angel:

6. I already got one signed by her and my parents are seeing her again later this year, will ask them if they can get an extra copy. :wave:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

That's one way to get her attention. :laugh:

8. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Had a good day yesterday.

I own just one classcial album on vinyl (a Classics Record 200g Reiner 1812), as I was never into classical during the 'vinyl' years. So I was curious about sound and how they compare to cds.

There is a big charity shop near me but I have never been in there, but I was passing yesterday and thought I'd pop in and see if they had any records, and any classical records. Thought the chances were slim but you never know.

Anyway, they had a few hundred albums, most of which was classcial. 50p (75 cents) each :)

I got 17 albums. Philips, RCA, EMI and some weird things from the 60's and 70's. Nice thick vinyl and sleeves. One or two sound like rice crispies but the rest sound great.

10. New Year's resolution: Hit more charity shops. :shh:

11. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

For Classical CD's I have more luck at Garage/Estate Sales.
    Many times I'll get a great deal on a Ebay Best Offer!

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Now Playing...

[​IMG]

Op. 101

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I suspect Mr. Gulda would have something to say with Beethoven's first "Late Period" composition. There's so many great versions of this sonata in A—oddly enough, Richter's and Schnabel's are not even all that good—but I recall an acerbic quality in Frederich Gulda's Beethoven that would serve this piece well. My favorites so far include Annie Fischer, Kempff [both recordings], Arrau & Ashkenazy. Charles Rosen's set of late sonatas for Columbia has a very good version if not quite in the same league as the aforementioned pianists. Similarily, Solomon plays with great clarity but perhaps a bit too much emotional reserve.

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Holy cow, I didn't even know about your thread! (Before my time.) I just looked at the start of it -- it's long. I am going to have to read it though.

I was referring to this one, "No new music for me in 2011," where I said, in effect, "No new music orders for me in January." I've almost stuck to it, deviating only to pick up the Gulda Mozart set from importcds.com with a nice sale price. I have also been devising all sorts of complicated budgetary schemes for the coming months some of which may or may not get implemented.

15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

You're not kidding. Wonderful music which I've neglected as a listener, and Perahia is so adept at conveying the full range of emotions. I found myself during the Variations running through all sorts of (extra-musical) associations in my head. MP doesn't seem to put a conspicuous fingerprint on the music he records, but he is so consistently good, and there seems never to be any inclination to question his judgment.

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

John Holloway's ECM recordings are superb, that one especially.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, Annie Fischer is my favorite in Op. 101 as well. After her, I like (in order) Kempff's stereo recording, Pollini, Yudina, Goode, Gilels and Barenboim (first DG set, haven't heard the others.)

18. John S

John S Forum Resident

This just in...

Stravinsky
    CD 1
    Symphony in C
    Symphony in Three Movements

London Symphony Orchestra
    Sir Colin Davis
    Symphonies for Wind Instruments
    Netherlands Wind Ensemble
    Edo de Waart

My imprint for the Symphony in Three Movements -- a favorite piece -- is Dutoit/Suisse Romande (from 1984 I think). Unfortunately, that disc is corrupted and will be replaced soon. I'm not sure I want to live with this Davis/London recording forever. Any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

:angel:

I know how long I have to wait for her new release. Ironically Rach's 2nd piano concerto. I wonder how it stacks up against the competition.
    http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/cat/single?PRODUCT_NR=4779308

20. OE3

Well, I'm definitely up to give this one an audition or two. Hope the Concerto is better than the just plain bad Y2K version on Teldec by that other drop-dead sexy ivories lust object, Helene Grimaud.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Some of her Paganini can be sampled here (with Dutoit):

http://www.myspace.com/angelodeangelis/blog/510662264

22. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I don't know other recommended Symphony in Three Movements, but I have always liked the nine minute Symphonies for Wind Instruments on your Philips disc by Edo de Waart and the Netherlands Wind Ensemble. Are there other versions that forum listeners prefer?

23. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Took the chance to play all 4 CD's of HvK's 1980 great reading of Richard Wagner's PARSIFAL in Berlin yesterday. Took more than 4 hours , but was worth it..On TV I watched a portrait of Placido Domingo later that night with excerpts from manygreat operas (incl Lohengrin Parsifals sn) Othello and Tosca - to name a few.
    Opera is not that easy to digest, but worth a try..
    Picked up another Zelenka masss on hyperion yesterday, really looking forwad to it.

Another winner - a HiRez downlad of MOZART violin concertos 4&5 from Trondheim NRO...

Also picked up this Living Stereo CD yesterday - no idea if it is any good..

Attached Files:

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Parsifal has great renditions including Knappertsbusch (two performances), Solti, Levine, Boulez, Karajan, Kraus etc...
    Knappertsbusch's stereo recording and Solti's Decca version are worth checking out.

proedros likes this.
  25. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Picked this up used for $10 (too much?) yesterday after seeing it recommended at the back of Alex Ross' The Rest is Noise book and by Ted Libbey on NPR's "PT 50" list of essential classical CDs. This is my first copy of this work and after listening to most of Disc 1 I can see why it's so highly regarded. Not sure why I waited so long to check this out!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.