Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

I hear Tureck as being much less romantic than Feinberg, who uses the dynamic range of the piano a lot more than Tureck.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You probably have listened to both sets more than once. I am only listening to Feinberg's set for a second time and have listened to Tureck's set only once. The lesser use of the dynamic range of the piano by Tureck projected a softer soundstage, which somehow sounds more romantic to me.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Oh, you mean romantic in that sense, like more intimate. I meant romantic in the sense that there is more emotional expressivity in the Feinberg. I hear it in the very first prelude. Absolutely gorgeous.

4. coopmv

I am beginning to think Feinberg and Tureck both provided performances of these works which are in a class that few other pianists can seriously challenge ...

5. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

George, For WTC, do you have the version by Andras Schiff? I think that version may be the last version I will get. I find it odd that a number of people at GMG actually think very highly of the version by Barenboim.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

No, I don't have it. I am happy with what I have: Edwin Fischer, Gould, Feinberg, Richter, Tureck, Koroliov and Moroney.

8. coopmv

The version by Moroney is probably the only harpsichord version of these works you have, right?

I do not have the versions by Koroliov and Moroney but have all the others. I think I have 17 versions of these works between piano and harpsichord.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Right.

10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Of all the 2000-ish albums in my collection, this is the all-time greatest sleeper-- tremendous music, great performance by Schmidt, fine recording. The piece has to be one of the great works written in the post-romantic vein. Dupe it and give it to a friend-- hearing is believing.

11. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

I wish to purchase classical music lossless downloads. Can someone please recommend a good site? Thanks.

12. Think George recommended this one first but I could be wrong. Great recording.

[​IMG]

13. George P

George P Notable Member

It wasn't me, as I have not heard that one, but I'll gladly take the credit. :wave:

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The Hyperion label's site is a great one. Offers FLAC and mp3. Plus you have access online to a .pdf of the liner notes.

15. Who was it then, fess up. :D

16. George P

George P Notable Member

I honestly don't remember. :laugh:

17. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

1. English Ste No.6 in d, BWV 811 - Bach
    2. Kreisleriana, Op.16: Fant - Schumann
    3. Davidsbundlertanze, Op.6: No.1-No.9 - Schumann
    4. Davidsbundlertanze, Op.6: No.10-No.18 - Schumann

Just arrived yesterday. The Bach was nice, but the Schumann Kresleriana is downright manic. :eek: I love it!

18. coopmv

Eddie sold his copy for $199 on Amazon ...

19. George P

George P Notable Member

So now we know who recommended it. ;)

20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the redbook, which is very nice. (On the other hand I have the Bach as well as the Schumann/Lalo/Saint-Saens on SACD, so I am feeling somewhat wealthier. :D)

21. coopmv

Some people think the version Starker recorded on RCA Red Seal is the better version. I believe that version was recorded in the late 80's or early 90's.

22. Wow, I'll keep mine. :)

23. Dull and cold afternoon here in London, perfect to stay inside, tubes glowing, catching up with some of my harmonia mundis.

[​IMG]

24. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I find this CD most enjoyable...puts me a chipper mood indeed!!

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      45.1 KB
      Views:
  25. ... and some more harmonia mundi.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.