The Very Unofficial Karl Pilkington Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I could listen to the XFM shows forever - they're the only things in the world that consistently make me laugh, irrespective of mood or circumstances.

I did enjoy the episodes of An Idiot Abroad that I was able to view on YouTube.

3. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I'm watching the Intro show right now.

4. shane

shane Active Member

The preview episode was funny. I was a little skeptical of the actual show but after watching it I'll definitely tune in again

5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I know the one question he should've asked the two doormen from heaven & hell: "What's two plus two?"

7. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I remember being on vacation when a friend sent me some links to the first season podcast (which was just starting) and then I discovered the Radio Gold that is XFM. I devoured all of those - the play between these three men is nothing short of genius.

An Idiot Abroad owes much to the editing, but how can you NOT love Karl? My favorite bit ever is 1:19 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTIs9fvkUA

Hilarious!

Pilkipedia is worth MANY visits. There's a 'orse in the 'ouse.

8. Johnny66

I'm rather shocked that the XFM shows are still readily available from Pilkipedia - given they're a potential commercial goldmine. I'm surprised they haven't repackaged all of them for sale on iTunes (although editing out music references, film clips, etc. would entail losing a lot). It's terrific fun hearing Karl develop his insanity over the course of those years - and you do realise how much the podcasts lean on, and sometimes rehash, those shows.

9. semidetached

I believe that there are XFM highlights for sale as audiobooks - on Audible maybe? I saw them somewhere...

10. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

11. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

Great idea for a thread. Head like a @#%$&* orange!

I've never embarassed myself as much on public transport, as when I first listened to the XFM stuff on my iPod. The laughter was literally uncontrollable. :laugh:

12. Johnny66

Really? I wonder why people bother, as they're all for free, in their entirety, on Pilkipedia. That's one thing I've got to give Gervais & Co. - they haven't tried to shut down that site.

13. I only found out about Karl recently and right away got the "RICKY GERVAIS SHOW" DVD.

Great stuff! :righton:

For my recent birthday my girlfriend gave me a hand drawn Karl card with a quote from him on the inside.

Classic!

14. semidetached

Yep, here's one:

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_17?asin=B0036NNDUC&qid=1295872065&sr=1-17

The Ricky Gervais Show on Xfm is where Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant first met Karl Pilkington. The trio, who have been talking drivel ever since, later went on to create one of the most downloaded podcasts in history.
    This programme brings you the best bits from archived material from the first series of the Ricky Gervais Show featuring Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington and includes hilarious classics such as the Horse in the House, The Ricky Gervais Film Review and Karl's GCSE results.

15. Scope J

Enjoyed China , didn't
    find it hysterical , Karl is funniest when
    playing off of Rick and Steve IMHO ,
    Will continue watching

16. Scope J

Got India set to record
    5:00 am tomorrow

17. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I "met" Karl through the HBO show and I love him! I have Time Warner & I don't have the Science Channel. :(

18. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Did someone ask for me?

19. Scope J

Enjoyed India , looking
    fwd to next ep , the Middle East

[​IMG]

20. Scope J

21. Scope J

I'm not going on a camel again
    i'm not going on a camel again
    i'm not going on a camel again

[​IMG]

22. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Just fell into it tonight channel surfing. Thrilled that I did. The show is a gem. Brilliant.

23. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Forum Resident

Same here..I'm all caught up now..

24. Johnny66

I've only seen episodes on YouTube, but I love that An Idiot Abroad it is the 'anti-travel' show. It does give a sense of how tiring and, sometimes, annoying traveling can be.

And I really want to visit Mexico now, because Karl's positive take on the experience speaks volumes (as opposed to all the phony, sponsored 'travel' shows that exist on TV).

25. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

Just got onto this show, thanks to this forum. Definitely enjoy Karl, nice to see Merchant in the intro, but tell me---at some point, do we get a break from that gawd-awful cackling from Gervais? It's the most annoying sound in the world, and I can understand how Brits readily disown him.