Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Is it that scary? :laugh:

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Though I enjoy it, I think Janis and Richter do better in #1. In #4, Wild is my current favorite. I have yet to survey my Paganini recordings, but I recall that Rudy/Jansons was excellent.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh: :biglaugh: :laugh:

It was meant to say now, obviously. I enjoyed the sound and performance of the early works on CD 1, though I can't say that I am inclined to seek out more recordings of these works. If that is because the music just doesn't connect with me like Rachmaninov or Beethoven or Chopin, etc, or it is in fact the performances, I cannot say.

I love the Medtner concertos, though. They are awesome!

4. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Guy(s) pianophile(s), do you have this young Grimaud box set (previously on Denon)? Is it worth it if I already have 70% of this repertoire played by others? Special thanks from my wallet and shelf space. :cheers:

Attached Files:

5. George P

George P Notable Member

I own next to nothing by her, mostly because her name never seems to come up in discussions of great performances of particular works.

I'd get the Faure solo piano set on Brilliant if you don't have it. It's thin and cheap. :righton:

6. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I have disc 3 of the Grimaud-- well-recorded, and she's very youthful and fresh-sounding in the Ballade and the Schumann.

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Hmm, I have only one CD/SACD by Grimaud. Quite profound and spectacular recital, well recorded, although the program may look pretty eclectic. :cheers:

Do you mean the Collard set? Have been owning (and greatly enjoying it together with my Mom) it for at least half a year. :cheers:

Regarding BC sets, the one shown below is definitely on my February-March wish list. It's fantastic. :righton:

Attached Files:

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, that's the one! :righton:

I have heard good things, but after sampling both, I opted for the Fiksurkny (sp?) set on DG instead.

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I'll try to sample that one as well, thanks! :wave: Austbo's cold and objective view may not be to everyone's liking, for example, my mother hates his Grieg, whereas I can't find anything wrong with it - it's definitely a Northern playing.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

This youthfulness may be a nice buying point for me, since I probably have had enough of, say, the Rach-2 made by profound men. :wave:

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I like his Grieg too, though I don't return to it very often.

It seems like the recordings I have can be divided into 4 main categories:

1. Stuff I love and listen to often. These are things that affect me deeply on first listen, usually a strong emotional response. Wish I had more CDs like this.
    2. Stuff I like, but don't return to often. I have a lot of stuff in this category. The performances are good, but not great.
    3. Stuff I am not sure about, but don't listen to often. I try to revisit later these to determine if my opinion has changed.
    4. Stuff I have heard a few times and don't like and thus rarely, if ever listen to.

Sometimes, a performance will change from one category to another, up or down. My goal has always been to acquire more stuff in category one. I try to sample a lot of stuff, read reviews and get suggestions from those with similar taste.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Who likes Bruckner? I recently started listening to Bernstein's CBS version of the Ninth on the Symphony Edition box set, and I really like it. I'm listening to it and Chailly's 8th over and over, that way I do, and I'm wondering what I might listen to next.

I'd prefer single disc recommendations, if anyone has any.

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

Lovely playing, really good engineering.

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

BTW, George, can you comment on Collard's performances in this Schumann set? And what's about others (of course except for Richter, I know, you can't stand him anymore since your house is built from his CDs :winkgrin:)? The set is pretty attractive...

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Do they have any of the EMI Celibidache Bruckner symphonies at your public library? I ask because you may not like it, so you might want to try it before buying it. I happen to love it.

17. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Just came in the mail today!
    Logged into my database.....now spinning.

[​IMG]

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this the Rudy/Jansons set you are referring to?

[​IMG]

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't heard any of his Schumann, nor have I heard his name come up in any of the numerous online discussions I have read and participated in on Schumann's solo piano works.

Richter was a superb Schumann interpreter, one of the very best. I also love Cortot, Moravec, Moiseiwitsch, Natan Brand, Arrau and Horowitz's Schumann. I have others that I enjoy, but those are the cream of the crop.

20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

He was a Russian piano master who could only be surpassed by the great S. Richter ...

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yes, they do. The 7th and the 9th. I've gone and ordered them. Thanks, George.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

It contains the performances I refer to, but curiously the performances of the coupled symphonies does little for me. EMI and Brilliant have each issues the concertos separately.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Your welcome. I predict that you will either love or hate them. Lets hope for the former. :wave:

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Great, I hope to hear what you think of it. It's a nice eclectic mix.

25. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Celi released great records esp. of Bruckner 4 and 6 (this was Gramophone's view at the time). His 4 is unique-- slowest on record, I believe, with a revelatory take on the finale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.