Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

See my bolds above.

I think I understand your remarks above but let me ask this...you love every recording Kissin has made? His Rach Three which many critics, players have not said great things? His tempos have been taken to task on that recording which leads me to the next item in bold...

Schumann and Chopin would like their music played closely to what they marked as to dynamics, tempos, etc. That is the way they wanted their music played when they were alive and I am sure they would want it that way now. Unfortunately, all players, some more than others, take "artistic" liberties with the original desires of the composers. Kissin is one of them.
    Don't get me wrong...some of his stuff is the best ever recorded IMO such as the Fantasy F Minor by Chopin. Others..not so good.

I have yet to meet anyone that does not like at least a couple of recordings by any artist. :cheers:

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Some people assumE that because I love Mahler, I'm automatically going to love Bruckner. But they've always been rather "discrete" bodies of music to me. Until listening to this No. 9 by Bernstein on the Symphony Edition, Bruckner has basically eluded me. I've owned and sold versions by HvK and Wand that I know of, but now that my interest is piqued (after only 25 years), who knows what I'll like? I know I didn't like the sound of some of HvK's on DG LPs. I don't think I had those on CD.

I've ordered the 8 and the 9 from the library, too.

I ordered 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 from the library. Sometimes I can hear past "historic" sound, sometimes not. We'll see.

Ordered.

2, 4, 7, 8 ordered, all DG.

I ordered Giulini's No. 8, Jochum's No. 8 (EMI), Bohm's 4 & 7, both VPO.

I all but ignored Barenboim after buying an absolutely sucky-sounding set of Mozart PCs on LP (I really have come to loathe classical on LP), but then he did one of the most wonderful Mahler 7s I've ever heard. I just ordered his Bruckner 1, 9, and 7.

I won't know which versions I got until they get here. I'll probably go to the library late next week.

Right.:cheers: No need for personal attacks:cheers:, or forcing people into positions where they feel defensive:cheers:.

I ordered 5, 6, 7, and 9. No 4.

I got two by Jochum on DG, listed above. And I’m going to buy the Harnoncourt 9 on Sack-dee.

As you know, Stuart, I love Harnoncourt’s Beethoven, so I went ahead and bought the SACD of 9. After I’ve done some listening, maybe I’ll pick out a box set or two.

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Jay, is it you or a virus? :yikes: :laugh:

EDIT: I see, it's probably you (since viruses usually don't repair anything).

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm having to do all kinds of repair work here.

5. Rose River Bear

Great stuff there..I have them all. Anxious to hear your take on them.

The Giulini 8th and the Bohm 4th and all of the Furtwanglers are archtypes IMHO. :cheers:

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It's funny, but Lenny's rendition of the 9th has warmed me up too. I really need to collect at least a couple of other symphonies in best possible renditions to establish this small victory. :wave:

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I listen to 10% of my music 90% of the time.

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

:laugh: +1. :cheers:

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

As Prospero's Books is my kind of a movie, don't expect to hear any notices from Variety or EW anytime soon.

It's just as well that we have only the torso of Bruckner's sixth as performed by Furtwängler—he never really connected with the piece. it's strange, as Furtwängler is considered by so many as the ultimate Bruckner conductor. I've been listening to Bruckner since 1970, there are a lot of different ways of getting to the heart of things with his music. By way of example, Kent Nagano's SACD of the original version of the Third Symphony is remarkably successful, hard to imagine Furtwängler doing it better, and the sound quality is far better than anything involving the great German Maestro.

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Does this set in the picture have to be specially ordered from Japan?

11. coopmv

Jay, I do not believe Harnoncourt has ever recorded the complete Bruckner Symphonies ...

12. coopmv

RRB, I hear you. I have a whopping 3 recordings by Kissin - Brahms and Chopin. While I have heard some wonderful things about him - a child prodigy and so on, I have also heard enough of him as being one of the less consistent geniuses when it comes to performance. I also do not subscribe to the view that he is in the same league as Richter or Gilels. To be certain, he is many notches above Bang Bang for sure ... :righton::winkgrin:

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I'll sample this Nagano disc, as well as the Furt's set, thanks for the thumbs up! :wave:

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I haven't heard a lot of Kissin's recordings, but I certainly prefer his early live Chopin concertos under Kitajenko (those from the BC Chopin Edition box set and some other BC sets) to the critically acclaimed Argerich versions under Dutoit. :hide:

15. coopmv

Now playing CD3 - B5 and B6 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

A ha! :) This is one great reason for putting all of one's library on the computer! Starting with the recitals and compilations. (Actually, I started with my jazz collection, which was boxed up and in the closet. Then recitals and compilations.) Then you can sort and search in different ways, so you can find all your versions of Rachmaninoff whatever -- because many of them are in artist's box sets, and not with the rest of the R's -- not to mention you have a backup (so long as you backup) etc. etc.

Only downside is you'll become obsessed with ripping CD's and if your collection is large you'll lose a year or more of your life, your job, your friends, your marriage . . . I'm only kidding. But it can become preoccupying.

17. coopmv

I only listen to music digitally part of the time, as I still have a few analog systems on which I have spent a bit of money that I would like to enjoy. SONO and SqueezeBox technologies have been discussed on other SH threads but I really have not followed them that much.

18. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

just want to clarify, the #8 by HvK i recommended was the last he did with the vienna-it's on a wholly different plane than his prior recordings (that and a contemporaneous #7 if i remember correctly are the last recordings he made, after the berlin kicked him out).

while all the furtwangler performances are worth hearing, the #9 has a searing intensity and is often considered one of the great recordings.

enjoy!

19. coopmv

Jay, Is this still your favorite Beethoven cycle?

20. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

The comparison a while back of Celi's Bruckner with Richter's Schubert is very apt. I don't think I'd choose to listen to his recordings as my daily bread (maybe not even Furtwangler's), but they're so distinctive, really unique, they demand to be heard.

Check this out, Bruckner lovers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXNVDCNuZP0

Here are some Bruckner recommendations, fwiw:

Study Symphony-- Frankfurt RSO/Inbal
    Symphony 0-- Berlin RSO/Chailly
    Symphony 1-- Bavarian State O/Sawallisch
    Symphony 2-- Scottish NO/Tintner; RCO/Haitink
    Symphony 3, version 1-- Frankfurt RSO/Inbal
    Symphony 3, version 2-- Vienna PO/Haitink; RCO/Haitink
    Symphony 3, version 3-- Cleveland O/Szell
    Symphony 4, version 1-- Frankfurt RSO/Inbal
    Symphony 4, version 2-- Munich PO/Celibidache; Vienna PO/Abbado
    Symphony 5, version 1-- BRO/Furtwangler (1942); Vienna PO/Haitink
    Symphony 5, version 2-- Vienna PO/Knappertsbusch; London SO/Botstein
    Symphony 6-- Munich PO/Celibidache; NDRSO/Wand
    Symphony 7-- Dresden SO/Blomstedt; Berlin PO/Horenstein
    Symphony 8, version 1-- Frankfurt RSO/Inbal
    Symphony 8, version 2-- Vienna PO/Furtwangler (1944); Vienna PO/Karajan
    Symphony 9-- Berlin PO/Furtwangler; Cleveland O/Dohnanyi (grossly, grossly underrated!); Cologne RSO/Wand; Vienna PO/Giulini

21. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I have heard Kissin in performance twice; once he attempted Schubert's last sonata at Richter's tempo and it did not hold together, in my view. The second time however was perhaps the greatest recital I've ever been witness to, capped off by 12 encores! I hold him to be a very serious artist of absolute integrity with great respect for his audience.

22. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

23. Rose River Bear

The best recording of the 4th Symphony in history IMHO is on that set. :cheers:

24. Rose River Bear

I agree.
    I am sorry but he is not nearly in the same league as Richter or Gilels IMO. :cheers:

25. coopmv

You may not believe it. Until 3 years ago, I could not stand either Bruckner or Mahler music. The Bernstein set Jay loves so much was the first Mahler set I bought and I only bought it last year. That was followed by the set by Tennstedt and I purchased this Haitink set a few months ago. I still have the Sinopoli set to open after I am done with this Haitink's set ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.