Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

There is no chance I will ever have any of Bang Bang's recordings in my collection. DG has been pushing him big-time because it wants to sell into that 1.3B people market.

2. coopmv

So far, it has not been possible since I probably have close to 300 CD's that have not even received a first listen and new recordings continue to arrive.

3. John S

John S Forum Resident

His musical abilities aside, whatever young market -- of whatever nationality -- he can pull towards classical music the better off we all will be.

4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

This is one of the most enjoyable LP sets I have....sound quality is superb, the music is enjoyable to the max, especially in the morning hours.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  5. John S

John S Forum Resident

And you can hardly blame DG. After all, General Motors sells more cars in China than in the US.

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

picked up this Bach Guild (Vanguard) cd yesterday for $4.95.lively listening for
    a Sunday morning.

Attached Files:

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Fully agree; I will never get tired to say this. So many far more deserving pianists - and this the most unfair part of the story IMO - are not given even 1% of the chances Lang has, and instead of using them to become better as a pianist and an artist [he replied to a journalist that asked him if he had a special connection to the Rhapsody in Blue that he would perform with Jansons later that day and he replied "no, my agent chosed it" - I have this on video], he consumes himself by being a clown and a caricature of himself. Imagine the possibility the forthcoming generations to consider Lang's recordings as the ones that set the standards. Unbearable.

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

And well they do.

However, if we could ever compare these products and relevant policies, do these GM sales to China do any harm to the automotive industry in any terms whatsover? Not of course and everybody agrees. On the other hand, to let some millions of ears to be educated via Lang is a crime; classical music could be sold to China in another more respecting way(s).

9. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

beautiful and well recorded as well.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Just finishing...

Fritz Reiner / Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Bartók - Concerto For Orchestra
    RCA Living Stereo SACD/hybrid

[​IMG]

Of the three compostions on the disc, the first from 1955 "Concerto For Orchestra" is 2 channel stereo. The other 2 from 1958, "Music For Strings, Percussion and Celesta* and "Hungarian Sketches" are 3 track surround mixes.

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

New stereo mixes. Vintage orig. two-track mixes were used for XRCD. I believe redbook Living Stereo titles from 1990's were remixes, too, but I'm not sure.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It was OOP for awhile, maybe three years ago. Couldn't get a copy for less than $75.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Sinopoli's superb Eighth with Dresden Staatskapelle (DG 1996 2CD w/ R. Strauss Metamorphosen) is commanding similar prices. Fantastic performances of both, only my second disc by this conductor. Found one at Amoeba a few months ago for $9. Glad I didn't leave my phone in the car that day, I always check prices on Amazon now that Amazon's iPhone app has bar code-scanning capability.

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'll have to be on the lookout for that. My library doesn't have it, it's $89.99 on AM, and the only thing that's cheaper is the CD-R from that permanent resident of Douchstrasse, the arkiv music guy. Baitnswitch Boulevard, really.

16. Boston Symphony Orchestra / Charles Munch - Beethoven Symphony No.5 and No.6
    RCA Living Stereo SACD/hybrid

[​IMG]

Originally recorded in 1955.

17. coopmv

I have this LP set. Philips always had some of the most outstanding LP press quality.

18. coopmv

People have surmised that Bang Bang has been trying to emulate the young Horowitz. I have a good number of recordings by Horowitz, who was my goto pianist in the early days of my classical music listening but has since been eclipsed by S Richter, Gilels and Arrau. At any rate, when I already have a pretty good collection of Horowitz's recordings, I may just as well stick with the original, why bother with the emulator? I agree, it is very shallow classical music appreciation when people only identify with performers of their generations and roundly ignore the much greater virtuosi who are dead. I am not convinced if that is the right way to keep classical music going ... :shake:

19. coopmv

Now playing SACD1 from this set, which arrived in early December for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I am sure that the young Horowitz was not calling his teachers on the phone before the concert to seek assistance though :winkgrin:

Agreed.

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

If you only could own one copy of each of those symphonies, that recording would fit the bill IMO. :righton:

22. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I have this CD and it is indeed impressive. Easily the most reverberant recording of the Organ Symphony I've ever heard; I mean, just look at that insert photo of the space where it was recorded! This incredible reverb unfortunately obscures a few of the elements I like to hear in this work, but all is forgiven when the final chord ends and I luxuriate in the 7 SECOND DECAY!! It always sends a shiver down my spine. :thumbsup:

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I have been watching some classical stuff on Sky Arts recently.

Lang Lang was live from somewhere (maybe Vienna). I didn't know the pieces he played well enough to pass any judgement on his style but I hated the way he acted and his mannerisms, just looked like he was overacting.

Luckily they also had an old film of Ashkenazy playing some Rachmaninoff, which was very good.

And on BBC4 over here they had Charles Hazlewood with a period orchestra going through Mozarts symphony no. 40 - rehearsing it, stopping after every couple of bars to explain what Mozart was doing, then playing the whole thing at the end. Very interesting.

24. coopmv

GM has to go where it can make a profit since a second bailout would be unthinkable. But that does not necessarily mean that the same cars it is selling well in China will necessarily sell well stateside. DG can push Bang Bang all it wants, but we have to be the judge ourselves IMO.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.