Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #21)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OE3, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Heads Up for you Early Music lovers!!

I got my Thomas Tallis to day and it's top knotch!! :edthumbs:

IF anyone is thinking about this one DON'T wait....it's OOP and any copies that are left are starting to fetch a big dollar!
    I got mine for ULN $9.75 shipped from ebay....the others on ebay in same condition are over $25.00 shipped.
    Amazon has 2 left in ULN condition for about the price I paid for mine.
    Once these are gone looks like they are gonna shoot up to $30+ !

UPC: 093046715427

*ULN = Used Like New*

http://www.amazon.com/Tallis-Lament...07EZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297100512&sr=8-1

Just a heads up for my Classical Cohorts! :righton: :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I read an Amazon review of this SACD where the reviewer complained about the SQ of the stereo layer of this recording relative to the SACD layer. I confirmed this finding for the first time yesterday since I did not have an SACD-capable player until a few months ago ...

3. coopmv

Any good? I do not have a single recording by Bruno Walter.

4. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'll be playing the SACD layer for the most part... though I'd imagine the redbook layer is still probably decent.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, it's wonderful. His Beethoven Symphonies are excellent too.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Uh oh...get ready to spend some money...some of his recordings are the best there is IMHO.:cheers:

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Bruno Walter

May I suggest this one, and also his Mozart and Brahms Symphonies. I have not heard his Beethoven.

Attached Files:

8. coopmv

This should be in mono given the year of recording. No?

9. OE3

Yessir. I prefer Klemperer's version with Wunderlich and Ludwig, but Walter's 1952 Decca recording is a classic. Mozart and Brahms Symphonies are also tops. I want to hear more of Walter's Columbia recordings -- mono and stereo -- too, but I have been holding out because I have a hunch that Sony Music will reissue mega-boxes of both Walter and Toscanini recordings in the not-too-distant future. There is definitely enough material, and it has happened for Horowitz and Heifetz. Only a matter of time, methinks.

10. coopmv

Jim, Thanks for the heads up.

11. coopmv

Sony is a late comer when it comes to these mega boxes. Now that Columbia and RCA are under the same roof, there is every reason to believe Sony will get into the act ...

12. coopmv

When I first played this SACD - on a redbook CDP, I was somewhat disappointed with the SQ of the stereo layer ...

13. coopmv

Did Bruno Walter make any stereo recordings? I know Toscanini made 2 or 3 and I have one of them - an all Wagner program from Carnegie Hall ...

14. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

supposed to be good; but if you want a good Haydn set from yesterday try Eugen Jochum with the London Philharmonic Orchestra 1972/73 12 "London" Symphonies ( 4CD SET DG).
    Super sound and recording quality as good as it gets on a o redbook - a LPO at the height of their game a( mistaken for the LSO till now - yes that great ! Haydn's music never sounded better imo, esp. the first CD SURPRISE with lots of percussions"mit dem Paukenschlag' (drumroll) is awe inspiring. CD 3 The MIRACLE Finale as well.
    Niff said outstanding three dimensional recording, nice tonal beaizy perfect tempo. Just Great ! Plus his view on the world's clock !
    A Classic Penguin Rosette Winner btw.

Attached Files:

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Lots—they were reissued en masse on Odyssey, I've owned them all. There's a Beethoven and Brahms cycle in stereo along with Bruckner's 4th, 7th & 9th, Mahler's 1st, 2ed, 9th and Das Lied Von Der Erde, two Wagner programs, six Mozart Symphonies, Eine Kleine Nacht Music, Masonic Funeral music and a handful of overtures, a slo-mo Schubert 8th & 9th. I'm sure there's others I've missed, but there's lots of Bruno Walter in stereo. They deserve the same treatment Bernstein's Columbia recordings got.

16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

short add-on
    In case ypou cannot find this real excellent and widely treasured oop 4CD set don't fret. This cornerstone stone cold classic Haydn performances are nor back in print with a special treat a bonus CD an additional 60ies selection of Jochum and Haydn with various orchestras as limited Edition special priced Collectors Box got 26.00 at amazoon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-London-Symphonies-Box-Set/dp/B00008RWRH/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_

17. OE3

Robin, what are your favorites of Walter's post-stroke Columbia SO stereo recordings?

18. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

the two indispensable ones are the beethoven #6 and bruckner #9... but many others are worth a listen.

19. Graphyfotoz

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

listening tonight to the 2nd disc of this set:Oedipus Rex.less immediately enjoyable
    than Le Rossignol & Renard,but very impressive.the LPO is conducted by Franz Welser-
    Most.

Attached Files:

21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

And Bruckner 9th, Mahler 1, Mahler 4 at least.

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Even better are Jochum's Haydn recordings with the Staaskepelle Dresden (Berlin classics)!

23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

IIRC, this Collectors Box includes Haydn's 88th that is simply unbelievable!

24. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

+1000

25. Graphyfotoz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.