Alice Cooper: From The Inside (Album) Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickStark79, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filper

filper Forum Resident

I think 'Millie And Billie' is one of the best non-radio played rock duets ever written.

I am not trying to change it's 'rock' genre, but it would have been a wonderful tune in a musical.

2. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

Ahh Millie and Billie! My favourite Alice Cooper lyric of all time. The melody is so gentle and vulnerable, much like the protagonists mental state. I love the female voice in this (who does it belong to?) and the way she compliments Alice's darker more sadistic tone.

This song proves why Alice is the ultimate showman. He is not singing a song here, he is playing a character and he does it damn well! You can hear the insanity but also the undying love. Alice really should have done more male-female duets, particularly when they became the 'in' thing in the nineteen-eighties because he carries them off so well.

I cannot speak highly enough of this song. The first time I ever head From the Inside, this was the track that stuck with me and every time I hear it I become engrossed in the story and the chemistry between these two characters. It's an experience akin to watching a film but it all unfolds in just a few short minutes.

The, "Oh Billie it's fresh in my memory," verse is my second favourite on the album (I'll reveal the first when we come to Inmates) because it shows the sinister, cold mentality of the two characters but also the feeling that what they're doing is necessary and inevitable. An incredibly powerful track.

3. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

The whole album, but Millie and Billie especially, is very high in shock value. But I don't think it's any more incorrect than I Love The Dead or Cold Ethyl, it's just probably approached in a more direct way.

I don't think Alice is glorifying insanity, especially considering he had just spent a few months with such people. The more time you spend around people with mental illness, the less likely you are to find it amusing or exploit it in any way. But it definitely would have released a creative outlet in Alice.

Does the production and the actual music contribute to you feeling that perhaps Alice does take things too lightheartedly on this album? For instance, if the music was darker as on Killer, would it still leave you with that impression?

4. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Perhaps it does. The song does seem to "romanticize" insanity. "I Love The Dead" must be one of the most shocking songs ever, but at least it belongs in an album where nothing can be taken too seriously. In "From the Inside", it is no coincidence that one of the songs is called "Serious". Alice seems to be making it clear that the songs are inspired by personal experience, so you can never be sure whether these characters are real or not.

Now wouldn't it be ironic if this song had been a hit in Brazil or any other non-English speaking country? It would be mistaken for a romantic song!

5. filper

filper Forum Resident

No. His experience gives the album credibility.

6. art

art Senior Member

Thank you. Smartest thing written in the whole thread.

7. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

I find it impossible that anyone could call Millie and Billy shocking. Have you listened to Killer or Dead Babies this is not even close. The whole thing is so lightweight. If not for the lyrics this could be John Denver. As for mental illness you have The Ballad Of Dwight Frye.

Re the duets: No Tricks is a lot more powerful but has a dreary beginning.
    I much prefer his duet with Patty from The Waitresses on " I Like Girls " which is just plain fun.

8. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

SERIOUS (2:44)

When I look back at my time at the track
    And I played and I played and I played and I was
    Shooting the craps at the back of Fat Jack's
    Come on fade me Jake
    I'm a Las Vegas dreamer they took to the cleaners
    A bath what a bath what a bath I'd take
    A fish on a hook I was rattled and shook 'cause I lost my stake
    I took that serious

All of my life was a laugh and a joke
    And a drink and a smoke
    And then I passed out on the floor
    Again and again and again and again and again

I'm a gambling fool with a roll and cue
    Wanna play wanna play wanna play with me
    Put my *** on the line rubbed my nose in the grime
    And they picked me clean
    The chance and the game drove Old Silkly insane
    What a pain what a strain on my brain it was
    A fish on a hook I was rattled and shook 'cause I lost my stake
    I took that serious

And a drink and a smoke

Serious it was serious oh so serious
    Serious it was serious oh so serious

And a drink and a smoke
    Or a friend

And a drink and a smoke
    Or a friend

Again and again and again and again and again and again
    And again and again and again and again and again
    And again and again

9. My fave song on a Great LP:righton: Rick Nielsen's guitar smokes all the way through on this one.

10. ringosshed

One of the better tracks but marred by the backing vocals.

11. MJH64

MJH64 Forum Resident

FTI has been a huge favorite of mine from the day it came out in 1978.

"Millie and Billie", who can forget these lovely lyrics: "All sliced up and sealed tight in baggies, guess love makes you do funny things."

Best song on the LP!

12. filper

filper Forum Resident

I was waiting to quote that myself... perfect line to sum up album. :righton:

13. Cozzie

Cozzie Forum Resident

Alice has often referred to Serious as his personal favourite song he has written. Therefore it surprises me that he has neglected to perform it live often (for instance Love Gun wasn't a huge hit for KISS but it's Paul's favourite song so it's a live staple.) It's a much needed party song after the haunting Millie and Billie and the poignant perfection that follows. Not my favourite song on the album but definitely memorable and necessary.

14. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

As I said in the beginning, some songs on this album can be hard-rocking and depressing at the same time. "Serious" is the best example of what I was talking about. This song rocks, yet the lyrics are as "serious" as the title. This is like an addict baring his soul, owning up to his mistakes and screaming for help. And it works! Even with the heavy guitars and the fast beat, Alice's rendition comes across as believable and very honest. "All of my life was a laugh and a joke and a drink and a smoke and then I passed out on the floor!" I almost feel like telling Alice: "Calm down, everything will be alright..."

15. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

It's a different context and approach. "Ballad of Dwight Fry" deals with insanity from a "conscious" standpoint. The guy singing it is not happy at all about his situation and he wants out. He's not happily and romantically remembering the night he chopped up his lover's husband.

16. RickStark79

HOW YOU GONNA SEE ME NOW? (3:57)
    Dear darlin' surprised to hear from me?
    Bet you're sittin' drinkin' coffee, yawnin' sleepily
    Just to let you know
    I'm gonna be home soon
    I'm kinda awkward and afraid
    Time has changed your point of view

How you gonna see me now
    Please don't see me ugly babe
    'Cause I know I let you down
    In oh so many ways
    How you gonna see me now
    Since we've been on our own
    Are you gonna love the man
    When the man gets home

Listen darlin' now I'm heading for the west
    Straightened out my head but my old heart is still a mess
    Yes I'm worried honey
    Guess that's natural though
    It's like I'm waiting for a welcome sign
    Like a hobo in the snow

How you gonna see me now
    In oh so many ways
    How you gonna see me now
    When the man gets home

And just like the first time
    We're just strangers again
    I might have grown out of style
    In the place I've been
    And just like the first time
    I'll be shakin' inside
    When I walk in the door
    There'll be no place to hide

How you gonna see me now
    In oh so many ways
    How you gonna see me now
    When the man gets home

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

How you gonns see me now is another incredible Alice ballad IMHO. Nobody did them like he did in the 70's.

18. ringosshed

I honestly believe the ballads lost Alice a lot of fans. For me this is the only honest song on the album all the murderers and sexy nurses is just BS. Saying that, I hate his mid 70's ballads with a passion.

19. MJH64

MJH64 Forum Resident

I still remember when Alice hosted the Midnight Special in 1978 to promote FTI's release, they played the video for "How You Gonna See Me Now" which was the only thing I had heard off the LP before buying it.

I still love the theatricality of FTI, there really wasn't anything like it at the time: hard-driving rock, immaculate production/musicianship, an awesome LP design, and an emotional narrative that was compelling from start to finish.

20. RickStark79

Lyrically, I think it's the weakest thing on the record. Lines like "Please don't see me ugly babe" and "Like a hobo in the snow" may be honest, but they sound pretty amateur to me. I will say that out of the mid-70s Alice ballads, this one is much better than You And Me and I Never Cry.

21. ringosshed

A trilogy of bad singles and there's even " No More Love At Your Convenience " which has to be his worst 45 ever. Can someone start a FTF thread and then you can all crucify me?:righton:

22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

You really can't stand good music, can you?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

23. ringosshed

Sorry he gained fans in Russia with these ballads.

24. RickStark79

I actually really like Love At Your Convenience. I would just like it a lot more if it wasn't done by Alice lol

25. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

"How You Gonna See Me Now" is my favorite Alice Cooper song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.