Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Come Fly with Me (recorded 1957)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It's really a USA CD. The currently-available British issue is identical (and has the same 1987 date). The right channel overload is in the original stereo (3-track) session tapes. It cannot be eliminated and is present in ALL stereo mixes of this album, including the original LP and the '98 Norberg CD. The '87 Walsh mix is the best of the three.

[Sorry, Greg. Overlapping replies. :)]

McLover likes this.
  2. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Thanks all...... that certainly answers my question as I was confused about the discussions on the 1987 Larry Walsh disc as people were favoring that issue and I wondered if I had the wrong version and now I know that the distortion is on the master tape and all stereo CD's I'll just have to wait for the mono version it seems.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Or you could just enjoy the stereo version for what it is. You'll have a real long wait for the mono version on CD. Perhaps the rest of your life. Get a turntable..

McLover likes this.
  4. mikrt17

I have a turntable Steve and I'm going to look for a mono album to master myself and make a CD for my own use I think thats the way to go.

5. Steve Hoffman

Make sure you get the AMERICAN Capitol LP version in mono. The British versions remove one of the key songs on the album..

6. johhenrik

johhenrik New Member

If I recall correctly, Capitol made a 180gr vinyl reissue in 2009 of this album. They accidentally released the mono version, although all the packaging says stereo. So you might be able to find that version. They later recalled the album due to this, so maybe it is even harder to find than the original.

7. mikrt17

Thanks for the tip.. I realize that I have to look for a mono with 'The Road To Mandaley' on it

8. mikrt17

The problem with buying the 180gram 2009 pressing is as you say a problem because not all have the mono cut inside .....and I won't know unless I can hear it first....isn't life complicated.

9. stevelucille

stevelucille Forum Resident

It sure is in the Sinatra world!!

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

BEST COMMENT YET!:righton: I've got a mono LP and I ain't complainin'.:)

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Not really, that 2009 re-issue with the stereo cover and mono LP inside is readily available on many internet sites and quite often seen at Amoeba Hollywood. ;)

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

They're still selling it at Sinatra.com. Did Capitol ever change either the artwork or the record?

13. mikrt17

I'm starting to think that here in the UK in 1987 a different mastering was used from the UK and packaged in sleeves with a Larry Walsh credit, my reasons are this ......the flute distortion is so bad on 'Around The World' that I'm surprised there have not been more complaints from the general public, I also have the Norberg mastered disc which is not perfect but does not have the flute distortion, so I'm starting to think that I don't have the Walsh CD which you guys seem to favour above everything, so my plan now is to find a US disc mastered by Walsh.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It wouldn't be the first time. The UK EMI/MFP CD for SWING EASY! and SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS used the American (Walsh) liner notes, but it was a different mastering.

Can you post the track times for your CFWM, preferably the EXACT frame times as shown by a program like EAC (Exact Audio Copy)? If you have a PC and know how to use EAC, I can compare the extraction report to the one for the US disc.

15. mikrt17

Here you go Bob F :

01 00:00:00 03:22:30 Come Fly With Me
    02 03:22:30 03:21:60 Around the World
    03 06:44:15 02:30:62 Isle of Capri
    04 09:15:02 03:34:40 Moonlight in Vermont
    05 12:49:42 04:38:58 Autumn in New York
    06 17:28:25 03:31:20 On the Road to Mandalay
    07 20:59:45 02:11:57 Let's Get Away From it All
    08 23:11:27 02:52:30 April in Paris
    09 26:03:57 03:33:43 London by Night
    10 29:37:25 03:04:22 Brazil
    11 32:41:47 02:45:08 Blue Hawaii
    12 35:26:55 03:53:57 It's Nice to Go Trav'ling
    13 39:20:37 02:13:63 Chicago
    14 41:34:25 02:51:70 South of the Border
    15 44:26:20 01:50:30 I Love Paris

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That is exactly the same as the US Walsh CD. It must be the same disc: Matches to the millisecond for all tracks cannot be coincidental.

17. mikrt17

OK no it can't be coincidental, so I have the Larry Walsh disc then, with the right channel distortion, what is strange is that the Norberg disc is fairly clean so he must have used a program to remove the distortion as I believe he did a re-mix because his version has more vocal reverb. Thanks for checking this out for me.

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yep, it's the Larry Walsh disc. Another clincher is the long fadeout on "Brazil" (track 10). I think you'll see it's nearly nine seconds longer than on the Norberg CD. Happy to have been of help.

19. Steve Hoffman

Never heard the Norberg CD. Isn't it the original 1959 stereo mx?

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe it's a totally new remix. Heavy dose of extra reverb.

21. Steve Hoffman

Really. Do you have an original release date?

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

September 1998

23. Steve Hoffman

Might have to get it. Is it "No-Noised" to death?

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Like all the other Norberg Capitol titles. If you go to get it, it's the currently available CD, with the "Entertainer of the Century" legend along the left front spine.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, I don't remember the Norberg being a new mix. Heavily processed, including that weird fake stereo widening even though it's in stereo. I have to compare again to an old pressing though - it's been a while...