Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #22)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Crap.....computer/Inet shuddered gave me double post! SORRY!

2. Graphyfotoz

Bought another OOP King's Noyse this morning. :righton:
    ULN $7.99 shipped....seems like a good deal.
    Looks like if you don't get this early music when ya find it reasonable...
    The price goes threw the roof....least I found that in many cases.

[​IMG]

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One of the best Rach Second Symphony recordings there is regardless of the goofy soundstage. I never heard it on cassette. If you like it, you should spring for the CD. It is real cheap.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The vinyl is worth seeking. Good luck.

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

:wave:

Is it significantly better than his Sony recording?

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:agree: Great interpretation indeed.
    If you are loking for the great sounding Rach 2 discs, I'd like to recommend Previn (EMI) and Slatkin (Vox).

7. George P

Thanks, but when it come to classical, performance is my primary concern.

Case in point, I am now listening to the great performances in this set, despite the excess surface noise, for the pianism is superb:

[​IMG]

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I don't know how one can completely seperate sound quality and performance. I'm still in the middle of my Rach 2nd piano concerto survey. The recording of Rachmaninoff and Stokowski is simply so bad that one loses much of the performance. i can't begin to assess how Rachmaninoff used dynamics to shape his phrasing. There are parts that are just plain buried in the noise. I think these sonic artifacts are an issue even in better recordings.

9. George P

Nor do I.

10. John S

John S Forum Resident

I agree. However in my opinion antique recordings of solo piano are far more tolerable than those with full orchestra.

11. George P

Absolutely. It was solo piano recordings that got me to be able to tolerate historical recordings in my early days of collecting.

12. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It finally arrived this morning, March 5 (ordered Feb 4). I ordered it from amazon.co.uk, but it was sent by amazon.fr. I've put it on my computer and am listening over headphones now (Grado 60). I think it's wonderful, musically. Who plays the hurdy-gurdy, right?

Sound quality-wise, it's sssuper sssibilant, with excessssive ddenttal pressure in places, ttoo. I've gotten used to it somewhat, but it's not a CD I'd've liked listening to on my old B&W Matrix speakers. I absolutely love the sound of Natasa Mirkovic - De Ro's voice, sibilant or otherwise. And the clickety-clack of the hurdy-gurdy is a satisfying sound.

Overall, I feel more like I'm listening to some unearthed Brecht-Weill treasure from the early 20th century than to a familiar Schubert composition -- probably a hurdy-gurdy side-effect. I can imagine Ellen Greene (Jenny Diver in the 1976 Threepenny Opera at Lincoln Center) doing Schubert now. Well worth the $24.

If you'd like to indulge, go here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00475F3JM/ref=oss_product

Attached Files:

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

H.E. Steinway & Sons founded this date, 1835

Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037
    DVD 81 minutes

Follows the manufacture of one grand piano, from the forests of Alaska to the loading dock in Queens. Fascinating for those who care about pianos. Several pianists are interviewed. I gotta say, when Hélène Grimaud turns to play something, I get....nevermind. :shh:

Attached Files:

14. Graphyfotoz

Looks like I might have another batch coming from a fellow at one of my other forums. (Work'in a deal)

Comments on any of these anyone?
    Some good Piano George?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. George P

^

The Gilels is so good, that I suggest getting the whole set for only $37 new from an Amazon marketplace seller. It's incomplete (missing a few works due to an early death) but superb!

The Arrau I haven't heard, but I adore his earlier recording of those works with Haitink.

Haven't heard the rest.

16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You are the king of cassettes in this corner. :winkgrin:

I have over 100 pre-recorded classical music cassette tapes I got from my wife's mother from a few years ago. I have managed to listen to no more than a half dozen of them ...

17. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Some heavy listening going on FAUST - Robert Schumann a Live DoCd with lots of german vocals conducted by Claudio Abbado; sounfs good so far...

Attached Files:

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The top three are all must haves. The bottom three...are OK but you can do better. If they are cheap ($2-5) they are worth it.

19. coopmv

Now playing CD5 - Piano Concerto No. 2 and Piano Concerto No. 1 by Tchaikovsky from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

20. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

there's only one performance of furtwangler doing the bruckner 9 so any one you find will be the same performance with the exception of the mastering. i know it's on m&a, dg, etc... keep in mind it's a performance legendary for its ferocity. the walter is with the columbia symphony on sony. equally impressive and to me the highlight of walter's last period (along with the contemporaneous beethoven #6).

21. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

another great one is the sanderling/leningrad on dg.

22. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

i only have 2 recordings in my collection where the sound was so bad it made the performance unlistenable (to me) and those were both transcription discs that had crazy noise on them. but i do find that how good the recording is will determine where i'll listen to it and get the most enjoyment. often times historic performances do better for me on either a small second stereo or even a boom box (or on the computer!) rather than on my 'big rig' which can be too revealing even of modern recordings.

23. coopmv

Agree. Ever since I bought this Logitech 2.1 System - satellites plus sub, my listening experience off my desktop has been excellent. In fact, I tend to listen to historical performances on my desktop. To be sure, big rigs have their moments as well. Deskop can only provide the non-critical listening ... :righton:

24. Graphyfotoz

Looks like I'll get the whole batch for $20-$25.

25. coopmv

Jim, You may just as well get the entire Beethoven Piano Sonatas box set, which I bought a few years ago. It is an excellent set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.