Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun...Revisited

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge Thread Starter

So I was going around one of the local music stores recently and found this CD which I had never heard of before. I bought it blind because it looked pretty awesome and seemed to be something I would enjoy and the reviews on the internet were glowing.

Finally sat down today in the car on the drive to and from work and listened to it....wow! It's pretty good but what really blows me away is "Earth Calling." 3:25 - 3:55 is what a properly mastered CD should sound like! The drums (or whatever they used on this track) JUMP out of my Boston Acoustics. It sounds AMAZING cranked. This is definitely my new "drive" song!

So what's the deal with this album? Why was it re-released/remixed/remastered and edited? What's the sordid history behind it?

2. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Billy Thorpe was much loved here in Downunderland, sadly he's no longer with us. A couple of his songs that get a lot of airplay are Most People I Know Think That I'm Crazy and Almost Summer. Now I'm not an afficionado of BT, but if my memory serves me correctly COTS was recorded in the USA during a stay over there. BT bio here.

I don't know why it's been re-released but if it gets Billy's music out there to a greater audience it's all good.

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It was released in 1987. At the time, the original Children Of The Sun album was out of print.

It's basically a compilation with three "new" songs. On LP, side one was side two of the original LP. Side two was the new material with "East Of Eden's Gate" tacked onto the end.

Why? Who knows? "Children Of The Sun" was still popular enough to get played on the radio back then, so I think Billy just wanted to capitalize on that fact.

I do recall that album sounding quite good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.