Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #23)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graphyfotoz, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John S

John S Forum Resident

SACDs are Direct Stream Digital (DSD) that operates at 1 bit/2.8224 Mega-Hertz, which is not easily expressed in PCM terms, such as "24/96".

No, there are no "24/96" Red Book CDs. When you see a CD such as this.....

[​IMG]

.....with "96kHz/24-bit" on the cover, they're telling you the old analog tape was converted to digital using that bitrate. That signal is then down-converted to the Red Book standard, 16bit/44.1kHz. Otherwise, it would not be playable on any regular CD player.

2. John S

John S Forum Resident

You lucky dog.....;) Which Mahler???

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The BPO and the RCO have routinely been ranked the #1 and #2 orchestras in the world for how long? The VPO probably is among the top five as well.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

But what about those redbook CD's recorded over the past ten years that say 24/96 on the CD covers? Those were clearly digitally recorded compared with the Decca legends that were recorded on analog tapes in the 1950's.

5. John S

John S Forum Resident

RANKING THE WORLD'S BEST ORCHESTRAS

6. John S

John S Forum Resident

It doesn't matter whether the 96/24 recording is a conversion of an OLD analog tape, or whether it is a NEW 96/24 digital recording, the signal is stepped down to the 44.1/16 Red Book standard. Again, if that was not done the disc would not be playable in an ordinary CD player.

7. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic Thread Starter

When it comes to this work I have my 2 fav recordings.....
    The Reiner is my definite 1st....but the Klemper is a VERY close 2nd!! :righton:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. John S

John S Forum Resident

Actually we were talking about Mahler's Ninth on the Haitink sets. But since you've brought up Das Lied, I have this: I have just finished surveying 6 recordings while using full orchestral score of this work. Between the Reiner and Klemperer, the latter is my clear favorite. The first thing I noticed with the Reiner is the soloists are buried, which required me to jack up the center channel to get the balance right -- something I never have to do with any "Living Stereo" SACD or for that matter any other SACD.

Secondly, I much prefer the soloists with Klemperer. Not that Maureen Forrester was inadequate on the Reiner, but with Klemp we have the great Christa Ludwig in her prime. And I get all goosebumpy when Fritz Wunderlich enters on the first song. His tenor is absolutely perfect for this piece.

Finally, the success of the Klemperer is even more amazing when you consider that the work was recorded in two venues (Kingsway Hall and Studio 1 Abbey Road), and that the recording process was spread out over a 29 month period! Credit must be given to all the musicians and engineers who made this landmark recording hang together so successfully.

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

And the only relative exception is the trickery called HDCD.

10. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

First listen:

Schumann
    Album for the Young, Op. 68

Michael Endres
    "Robert Schumann - The Great Romantic (Masterworks Edition)" set, CD 7 of 25
    2010 Sony Music

Good day all!

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

I was going to make that small exception, that being encoding 20 bit on a Red Book CD by using custom dithering, audio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding, but I didn't want to confuse the issue (or myself, for that matter:)).

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Got to see the Takacs perform the Trout Quintet and the String Qunitet on Saturday.

I had a pretty bad cold, but I wasn't going to miss this performance. And I was right. Jeffrey Kahane was the pianist for the Trout, and he set perhaps the fastest tempos I have ever heard for that piece. It was like an amusement park ride.

The Quintet was played at a more regular speed. I limit my listenings to this piece, specifically because it is my favorite work of music, and I am always afraid that one day I will cool to it. But Saturday night did not disappoint. The second movement, as always, touched me profoundly. The house was nearly full, and the audience was truly enthusiastic.

13. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic Thread Starter

Ahhhh the one Mahler symphony I don't have yet.
    Sym 2 and 8 is all......Uggggg another for the round-to-it list! :rolleyes:

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The Second. After listening to the RCO that night, I must say that I wished they would stay and replace the Philadelphia Orchestra. I would never say that to any of my friends though. :laugh:

Parts of the string sections and especially the brass sections are much better than the Philadelphians. Very polished sounding. :cheers:

15. Maybe something for you folks in the Big Apple

An Exclusive eClub Offer
    ---------------------------------
    Masur Conducts Brahms

Wed Apr 13 7:30PM

Visit: nyphil.org/masur-eclub
    Enter the Promo code: 0413-39
    Click on the PROMO star button to BUY.

Seats just $39 & $59

"From the opening of the spacious first movement, Mr. Masur exuded calm assurance. The music just emerged with alluring naturalness" — The New York Times

Kurt Masur, Conductor
    Cynthia Phelps, Viola
    Rebecca Young, Viola
    Liszt: Les Préludes
    Sofia Gubaidulina: Two Paths
    Brahms: Symphony No. 1

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Now playing for a first listen:

Beethoven
    Trios for piano, violin and violoncello Nos. 7 (Archduke Trio) & 11

Bamberg Trio
    "Beethoven - The Complete Edition" set, CD 45 of 87
    2007 Cascade Medien

17. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

[​IMG]

Spending some time with my Bernstein symphony box again. :)

Just been through Saint-Saëns' Symphony No.3 (Organ) and Bizet's Symphony in C major. Listening to Mendelssohn's Symphony No.5 (Reformation) right now. Next on my playlist is Schubert's Symphony No.5.

This set is really great and I'm so happy this forum brought it to my attention (namely Bronth). :righton: I can't believe it's already OOP.

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

First listen:

Schumann
    Night Pieces, Op. 23

Vladimir Horowitz
    Songs of Dawn, Op. 133
    Michael Endres
    Forest Scenes, Op. 82
    Robert Casadesus
    Bunte Blätter, Op. 99
    Arcadi Volodos
    "Robert Schumann - The Great Romantic (Masterworks Edition)" set, CD 8 of 25
    2010 Sony Music

19. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yes, it's hard to believe these days, but I was definitely wrong when suggested that the set would be easily available in January and even later. Inflation su**s but now I have ingot of Bernstein. :laugh:

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

And I only paid 70 Euros. :D When I think that I only really touched the CDs once when I ripped them to my hard drive, I guess I have a nice collector's item stored away in my cupboard. But of course I would have to delete all the files when I sell the box, so I will keep it. :shh:

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Sounds like a good concert, with some of my favorite works. I see Kahane a couple times a year as he is leader of the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, I usually attend the Baroque Variations concerts, Kahane takes the harpsichord continuo. The Takacs played in LA last weekend at UCLA. Schumann Quintet with Nobuyuki Tsuji (Van Cliburn 2009 winner, blind Japanese pianist) and another piece I don't recall off the top of my head. I regret missing it, but had to work. Last concert I saw (Polish Music Center spring concert) had a surprise appearance by filmmaker David Lynch on keyboard in a short chamber music piece. Very cool.

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Re Bernstein Symphony Edition

Meanwhile, a 103CD Heifetz Original Jacket Collection has been released (tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick). And then there's this amazing Amazon US Marketplace deal on the 100CD Russian Legends box of live recordings from Brilliant Classics, featuring Kogan, Richter, Gilels, Tretiakov, Berman, Oistrakh, Kremer, Rostropovich, Kissin, Shafran. $53.99 + $2.98 shipping from Germany. I received mine in seven days, definitely in stock. All of the individual artist sets have been released separately, but the collected price is cheaper in many cases than one box from a single artist.

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I sold mine already, for $300. I paid $75. It's now listed at just under $500 on Amazon Marketplace.

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Whoa. Price has spiked, it was 'only' listed at $200 or so a few weeks ago on Amazon Marketplace. Maybe the oil companies are selling these now?? Jay, I firmly believe Sony Music will release a 'deluxe' complete edition of Bernstein on CD within the next few years (i.e. while the physical market still exists). It will be akin to the Yo-Yo Ma set from 2009 with a custom-made housing unit, memorabilia, book, photos, etc. Heifetz and Gould and Miles Davis sets already have been brought to market and are proven sellers. Bernstein Symphony Edition sold out within two months. I'd love to know how many were made, 15,000? There is definitely a market. Only question is when: Christmas 2011, 2012 or 2013?

25. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I already have some of the Russian Archives sets, otherwise this collected box would be a no-brainer - provided I would have had access to the Marketplace.

BTW, IMO, some separate-only sets in this series are even better (say, the Svetlanov, the Gauk-1 and the new 10CD Richter). :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.