Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #23)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graphyfotoz, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Probably, you'd already had most of the separate CDs? I'd had none of them, so this set was a good "sampler" of Bernstein for me. :laugh:

2. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

That is an incredible price for that set. I spent a couple of days last week listening to my Oistrakh Trio set. It's 10-cd's of Piano Trios played by quite a trio. I picked up several of these boxes before the big box was out or at least before I was aware of it. I would be interested to hear anybody's opinion on any of these and which ones have the dreaded reverb. The performances on the Richter set are stunning. I also played a couple of the Rosropovich discs last week. All of the Oistrakh material is special but sometimes the sound isn't.

Yesterday I listened to several Naxos Historical titles. The Adolf Busch and Serkin disc of Beethoven Violin Sonatas was the most memorable. Some incredibly subtle, wonderful playing on that one. They just don't make 'em like that anymore I guess. Another disc of Cortot playing Chopin also floored me. I guess there is a good reason these musicians remain legends. I'm reminded of that with every Naxos Historical disc it seems.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I hope it will cost $75, though.

Fewer than the Beatles, that's all I know.

You surmise correctly. I already had the ones I want -- Mahler x 3, Beethoven x 2, Tchiakovsky, Sibelius, a Bruckner 9. I've never cared for Haydn, who seemed to take up half the set, so one day when I saw how much people were selling them for, I put mine on AM. It sold in under an hour.

4. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I"m enjoying the Lenny Box immensely. Glad I snagged it while it was cheap.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Barry Diament has made lots of posts at this forum about the potential complications of downsampling high-bit [24/96 or 24/192] high bit masters or dubs of analog tapes to the redbook [16/44] standard for CDs. Suffice to that 24/96 on the cover of a CD is by no means a guarantee of good sound.

RRB noted earlier how fine the CD layers are on the hybrid Living Stereo SACD series. That series has great mastering.

I did write up a comparison of about five different iterations of the Walter/Ferrier/VPO Das Lied von der Erde, four LPs and the first CD issue, for Ron Pendorf's Recollections newsletter about 23 years ago. If you can find the original 2 lp set, go for it. The CD reissue pictured is better than any of the other LP transfers—most of them are crammed on to a single disc. The first CD sounds metallic, with some sort of digital reverb involved. But there's more flesh on the bones on the original LP issue.

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Didn't Jeffrey Kahane conduct the JS Bach Concertos for Violin with the LACO and Hilary Hahn in a DG release a number of years ago? What a dreadful recording IMO - the tempi were way too fast for me ...

7. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

You guys (main posters and the rare ones too) are truly a fount of knowledge. I love reading this thread and queueing up more and more albums on the to buy list :)

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Glad you are enjoying it! :wave:

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

True. However adding things to my To Buy List is just to easy on the computer. I may have to start tagging the list like iTunes for sorting purposes :D

10. coopmv

I do think we collectively have the depth of knowledge in classical music but do not have the obnoxious know-it-all attitude ... :righton:

11. Ronm1

Ronm1 Forum Resident

Haydn String Quartet in D Minor & in F Major - Frye Street Quartet SACD
    J.S. Bach | The Complete Orchestral Suites - Pearlman| Boston Barocque Telarc SACD

12. coopmv

13 more posts to a new thread - thread #24 ... :winkgrin:

13. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

I very much agree. This point is refreshing too :)

14. dale 88

I am re-evaluating a few discs that I didn't care for. A modified player prompted this action since things were easier to hear for me.

No change, I still don't like them.

Coprario: Funeral Teares. Consort Music
    The Consort of Musicke, Anthony Rooley.
    Emma Krkby & John York Skinner.
    Decca Eloquence 480 2299 [1979] 2011.

From a L'Oiseau-Lyre release in 1979.

I know others have a different opinion but I have decided that I do not care for Emma Kirby's voice and I have a few of her recordings. After repeated listening, I didn't find anything in Coprario's music that caught my fancy either.

Coprario.jpg

15. dale 88

In a previous thread MilesSmiles asked for an update:
    After I mentioned here a rave review of this recording, when it was on sale for half-price I bought it. I have tried and tried to like this, thinking more familiarity would change my mind.

It is a title I won't be keeping:

John Sheppard: Media Vita
    Stile Antico
    Harmonia Mundi HMU 807509
    SACD/CD, 2010.

Sorry, I didn't hear the art in their performance. Color me not impressed with the prominent church echo. It may be authentic, but I don't care. After awhile that much echo drove me from the room and I am sure I would walk out of such a church service.

I am just not pleased I followed that reviewers advice, but I am certainly more aware of my preferences now.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

It definitely keeps me coming back!

17. George P

George P Notable Member

I love doing this. Often I discover that stuff I hated at first sounds much better at another time. However, stuff that tends to have little effect either way tends to stay that way.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

What do you think of Horowitz's Schumann?

19. George P

George P Notable Member

How's that set? Do you have other sets of the LvB QTs?

20. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

The two Janis Rachmaninov PC CDs are desert island discs for me.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.