Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #24)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Continued from here

Just as a reminder, this thread (and the 23 that have preceded it) is for all things that relate to Classical Music. Feel free to post what you're listening to, what recordings you recommend, recent classical purchases, classical concerts, discuss classical works, classical composers, etc.

Also, beginners are especially welcome. Feel free to post any questions that you may have about classical music and/or classical recordings. This includes requests for recommendations for recordings of particular works/composers, etc. We have lots of friendly and knowledgeable members who will be glad to help you out.

And as always, I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to all of the regulars (you know who you are) that have made this such and enjoyable and informative experience thus far! You guys are the best!

:wave:

2. When we get to our quarter century thread we should have a little celebration!

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:agree:

4. George P

Everyone's invited to my place for a week-long Richterthon! :wave:

5. I'll bring the beer, or would wine be more appropriate? :D;)

6. George P

Either is fine, as long as you bring some Pelligrino for me. :agree:

7. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Just had the experience of listening to Carlos Kleiber's Beethoven 5th and 7th for the first time. It took me about ten seconds afterward to order the SACD. :love:

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I dunno--I do love organ music, but a whole week of it might be a bit much.

Oh, you did mean Karl Richter, didn't you? ;)

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Pellegrino for me, too.

10. John S

John S Forum Resident

I'd love to understand the world of digital audio. I mean really understand. A few years ago I bought John Watkinson's book An Introduction To Digital Audio. I barely got through the first chapter before I nodded off. What I need is "Digital Audio For Dummies.":righton:

I was pleasantly surprised by the old mono sound on the 96/24 remastered Red Book of Walter's Das Lied von der Erde. It even sounded good on my 5.1 system with Meridian's Logic 7 surround mode engaged.

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

George, I'm not a big fan of Horowitz (I have some CDs that are hit or miss, his Tchaikovsky PC-1 with Toscanini on Naxos Hystorical being among the latter) but when he's on, he's on. Among the solo performers in the Sony Schumann Masterworks 25CD set he's definitely in my personal Top 3, behind only Kissin and slightly behind Rubinstein. Overall, I liked about 2/3 of his Schumann. :righton:

OTOH, I definitely prefer Horowitz playing Chopin. The disc pictured below (the limited digipak edition) is among my reference ones. :edthumbs:

Attached Files:

12. John S

John S Forum Resident

I'll take my beverage of choice on the rocks with a splash of Pellegrino, thank you.

Attached Files:

13. John S

John S Forum Resident

Now playing....

Mozart
    Piano Concerto No. [size=+2]24[/size], K.491

Malcolm Bilson, fortepiano
    The English Baroque Soloists
    John Eliot Gardiner

I like the extra bit of drama the slightly slower tempo provides in the first movement.

Attached Files:

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I still can't adjust to the balance. On the other hand I listened to Bilson's performance of the 1st piano quartet on the way to work this morning, and enjoyed it immensely (as usual).

15. George P

:cheers:

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Usually I buy plain, but today I had orange. Sometimes I have lemon.

Attached Files:

17. George P

I tried it once, but it was a bit sweet. I like it with plenty of fresh lemon or lime. Mmmmmmm.

I really like Fresca, too.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I like anything with lime. I used to drink Fresca, but now I don't want the chemicals that come with diet soda.

19. George P

Yeah, I hear yah! I used to drink tons of the stuff, now I mostly do spring water and occasionally get some Fresca or Sprite Zero. Certain foods (pizza, french fries) are very hard for me to eat without soda.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Then I'm your guy! :nyah:

I'm not really technically inclined. I just happened to make hundreds of recordings, and a remarkably large number of those recordings involved really good classical musicians. I'm more an old-school subjectivist, the kind of person who hears the "sound" of amps, wire, and so on. I heard enough acoustic music up close and personal to tell if a recording successfully represents the real thing. Most don't.

The differences in sound quality between different kinds of digital recording systems and gear are easy for me to hear. I'm certain Barry Diament has a lot more technical knowledge. But it seems we hear similar things. The simplest thing to know and understand is that just about all digital & analog recorders leave their audible signatures on anything that runs through them. Mr. Diament claims there's a 24/192 record/play chain—the Halo Metric series—where the mike feed output sounds exactly the same before and after having passed through the recorder. Mr Diament points out that the Metric Halo opens up at the 24/192 setting, that other 24/192 recorders don't sound as good and that some high bit recorders sound better at lower bit/sampling rates than they do at higher bit/sampling rates.

Decca was a major player in the advancement of recorded sound in the late forties with their FFRR wide-band recording systems. The original LPs are very well recorded.

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting tidbit: if memory serves, Decca's expertise in sound recording grew out of the company's military work, I think with sonar systems, during World War II.

22. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I'm a pacifist but I love the Decca sound. :love: :laugh: Actually, many of my recent classical purchases are Decca recordings from both analog and digital eras, and I tend to prefer their best red-books to some average SACD productions. :shh:

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, Based on your question about the Beethoven Complete String Quartets by the Vermeer Quartet posted in the last thread, here are all the recordings of Beethoven Quartets in my collection. I am only up to CD2 with the Vermeer set at this point ...

Complete String Quartets Alban Berg Quartet EMI
    Complete String Quartets Guarneri Quartet Brilliant Classics
    Complete String Quartets Vermeer Quartet WarnerClassics
    Late Quartets, Vol. 1 Quartetto Italiano Philips
    Late Quartets, Vol. 2 Quartetto Italiano Philips
    Streichquartett Op. 130 Hagen Quartett DG

24. George P

How is it so far?

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD3 from this set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.