Has Yoko ever commented on the unseen 1980 Lennon music videos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Can you post pics of the sunglasses? How's the build quality?

2. Zebonka

Zebonka Well-Known Member

I haven't got a camera handy, but visually they're pretty much spot on to Lennon's darker coloured set. I can't spot any differences, put it that way.

They seem sturdy enough; obviously I'm not in a hurry to go breaking them. I wish they looked better on me, it was a bit of an impetuous drunk-eBay purchase. (Sort of like the 11-inch Hamilton figures I bought of the Beatles; at least I got an amusing Youtube video out of that though).

When I get my camera back I'll try share a picture of the glasses.

3. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Hi,

I always wondered if Yoko gifted Ringo John's 'Honey' coloured glasses sometime after 1980, in 1990 Ringo can be seen wearing a pair during his clip of 'I call your name'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=212C8v5DmFU

Greg.

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
  4. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I highly doubt that, since John was wearing those glasses the night he was killed and the glasses shattered, which Yoko later used (with bloodstains) for her 'Season of Glass' LP in 1982.

5. Actually Lennon had three pairs of three different colored versions of the Mayfairs (3 clear frames, 3 honey frames, 3 yellow-caramel frames- I believe the three lens styles were clear, sunglasses dark, & blue tint), so Yoko could have gifted him one of the three. I think the pair he was wearing the night he passed were honey frames & either blue or clear lenses.

6. I wondered the same thing & posted as such way back when under this video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmSADebifo
    As I said in another post here, since Lennon owned 3 lens styles in 3 different frame colors (9 pairs total) it's very conceivable that Yoko did gift Ringo...either that or Ringo has great taste & just found out where he got them from & ordered some for himself.

7. I'm not so sure about how great these do or don't look yet. I'm considering ordering them, but they've got a "best offer" option on the ebay site version, so I'm emailing them about their "returns policy" & their lowest price- otherwise they are clocking in at learly $200 a pair!! I've got a few pairs of the John Lennon Collection "Double Fantasy" glasses that were modeled after the Mayfair- I have two tortoise shell & one honey. I'm also keen to try the "Polo PH 4044" style that you kindly posted about in post #306- they have a money back guarantee on a site I found that also had them at a pretty low price- just under $100 a pair (with a minor restocking fee that I'll take a chance on). I'd consider both, since the retrovisioneyewear pair is honey & the Polo's are caramel-yellow.I love this style & luckily that work pretty well for me & my happy face.

8. monkboughtlunch

Hmm...do the retrovisions actually come with sunglass lenses? Production description: "Ready for sunglass or prescription lenses..."

9. monkboughtlunch

Did they come with sunglass lenses or just frames only? If they contain lenses are they plastic or glass?

10. monkboughtlunch

11. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

That idiot makes me hate YouTube.....

12. I'll let you know as soon as my pairs land. They shipped out on April 4th, and take 7-14 days to arrive supposedly. I had a very cool correspondence with Gwym, the founder of the company. She's very knowledgeable about their history, etc., and a very nice person. I'm almost sure they come with glass sunglass lenses.

13. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

14. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Bit off topic, but does anyone recognize the room?

[​IMG]

15. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I definitely recognize the floor...

16. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Whoa!, finger snaps to you!, sure looks like The Hit Factory on 48th st :righton:

Greg.

17. monkboughtlunch

Hi Jörg,

Are you able to give us any update on "X" and the status of the Double Fantasy video footage? Do you still believe the footage has survived?

Thanks!

18. Hi MONKBOUGHTLUNCH, I was wondering if you got anywhere with your wonderful detective work.
    This is an awesome thread,it reignited my interest in Lennon. :)

19. monkboughtlunch

Haven't found out anything further. If the footage exists, hopefully it will surface someday for all to enjoy.

20. Why won't " someone" hand them over. :mad:

21. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

This was probably posted before, but a good portion of the unreleased tracks from "Double Fantasy" appear on the "Unreleased Video.":

Unreleased tracks include :
    "Gone From This Place" - Recording started 7th August 1980, continues 24th August 1980
    "C'mon Everybody" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "Rip It Up" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "I'm A Man" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "Be-Bop-A-Lula" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "12-bar Blues" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "Dream Lover" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "Stay" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "Mystery Train" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "Blues In The Night" - Recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    "She's A Woman" - Four takes are recorded 18th-22nd August 1980 for an unreleased video.
    After the official sessions, these final demos are recorded at the Dakota:
    "Real Love" a.k.a. "Girls And Boys" - Several takes in October 1980 (Take 6 is on "Imagine: John Lennon")
    "Serve Yourself" - Demo recorded October 1980, it's a parody of Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody".
    "Dear John" - Demo ecorded November 1980.
    "Pop Is The Name Of The Game" - Demo recorded 14th November 1980.
    "You Saved My Soul" - Demo recorded 14th November 1980.
    "Serve Yourself" - Final demo recorded 14th November 1980.
    "Walking On Thin Ice" - Yoko song, recorded right up to 8th December 1980 with John present.

22. I haven't heard a lot of these before, where can i hear them?
    Are they good quality?

23. monkboughtlunch

What is "Blues in the Night?" Is that the same 50s standard that Frank Sinatra recorded?

24. Where can we hear this and others?

25. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

There is also the song STREETS OF LOVE which John had written around 1965 and supposedly finished with Jack Douglas if I remember correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.