Aja MFSL CD: Where does it rank?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pmckeeaalaska, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

How do you know that? Link.

2. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Info came courtesy of our host (who mastered the Cisco LP). It's somewhere on this site. I don't have a link though.

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

CORRECTION:

It was Kevin Gray who mastered the Cisco vinyl. Out host did the original CD. Sorry 'bout that.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

They're both great! The SH mastered CD is pretty hard to find, though. Do a search through the hundreds of posts on the topic of which Aja CD is the SH mastered version.

5. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

.....and how does one go about identifying the SH mastered Aja cd???

:shh:

6. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I had the MFSL Aja CD for a long time.. but sold it when I realized I liked the unremastered MCA CD better. Don't know if I have a SH-mastered one though!

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

SH Discography up top.

8. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Thanks shok, but I was joking.
    (SH Who's Next would also fit the bill)

9. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident Thread Starter

The MCA CD I own has the Catelog number MCAD 37214. This matches that listed as the CD mastered by SH, but are there any other identifiers to prove whether what I own is the SH master??

10. pmckeeaalaska

I have been doing an A/B/C comparison for the last 2 hours between my original MCA Aja CD, my newly arrived MFSL, and the Japanese SHM-SACD. The most obvious difference to me is the volume of the various discs. The SHM-SACD is the loudest (about 7dB louder than the MFSL to my ears but only about 2dB louder than the MCA), though for me this isnt obnoxious to the ears. The MFSL has what I can only describe as a thinner sound, though again, not in a wholly bothersome way. The original MCA however is fuller and has more bottom end than the MFSL. The MCA and SHM-SACD are close to my ears in terms of bass.

The bottom line for me, I think the MFSL is bested by both the MCA and SHM-SACD by a pretty comfortable margin but I dont dislike it. It wont be my go to CD for this album but I think I'll get lots of enjoyment out of it and I didnt pay much for it so I'll probably keep it since its OOP. If I had to pick one though, it would probably be the SHM-SACD, but I suspect that might be psychological since I paid $55 for it!

I sure wish I knew whether or not my MCA was master by SH though. Either way, it is a fine sounding CD.

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

The MFSL is also not my go to disc. I haven't listened to it in years. Maybe it is time to sell it methinks.

12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

You've got your work cut out for you, pmckeeaalaska.

Check the matrix info in the inner ring of the disc. Then check the peak levels in XLD or EAC. Cat#'s wont get you much of an answer for this release because there are so many different pressings with the same Cat#.

Some of the more helpful posts follow: (there is still some discussion over whether Steve's mastering actually appears on discs other than the UK MCA pressings, as there appear to be level-shifted versions of this made for USA in Japan, among others.)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/s...5+made+england+mal+dave+beckenham#post1963999

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/s...usa+mcad+37214+didx+with+this+log#post3067308

I've only heard a few versions, and my favorite so far is the Japan for US, which has peak levels very similar to Steve's mastering. Some believe this is a level shifted copy of his work, others balk. Until I get a UK MCA (the only version confirmed by Steve himself to be his mastering) I'm enjoying the Japan for US very, very much. I remember shaking my head in amazement the first time I played it late at night when the system sounded much better. There is also a US JVC that apparently uses the 32XD (black triangle Japan) mastering but I don't like it. Never heard the actual 32XD myself.

13. pmckeeaalaska

Thanks HiFi! I'll start my investigation now.

14. pmckeeaalaska

The booklet for the CD says MCAD-37214 DIDX 55.
    The inner ring says MCAD-37214-1T 24

No idea if this info will be of any help to anyone in the know?

hiterss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.