SH Spotlight Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45 & 33 1/3 RPM Hoffman/Gray vinyl mastering & equalization notes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Thanks Steve. Brings me back to the early days of the forum (when I simply lurked).

Here's hoping you and Kevin can work on the self-titled album. Maybe we can see it by 2015. :D

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Eh, the reason I never mentioned it is because it's just downer stuff. Hurts the enjoyment of the music.

It wasn't crushing, just frustrating. Even DCC was willing to release a Gold CD of the soundtrack (both Decca and our unissued stuff combined) and it was indeed licensed from MCA at one time but the unissued music union thing really made it impossible to do without spending a fortune.

That's show biz!

3. Getting back to the thread topic, Steve...just got my copy of yours and Kevin's 33rpm remaster from Acoustic Sounds here at the office...can't wait to check it out on my Thorens TD160/Shure V15 Type4 analog gear tonight at home...whoo-hooo!!!!:goodie::pineapple:
    Waited over 3 and a half years for this day, since October 2007!!!:laugh:

4. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Got this LP in today from Elusive disc (49.99 now they are out of stock and raised the price to 69.99). Listening to Dreams as I type this. The bass is just amazing. Very clean and tight. Stevie's vocals smooth as silk. This on a VPI scoutmaster with a Audio Technica AT33EV that's not broken in yet.

Cheers to Steve H. :cheers: :edthumbs: :goodie: :righton:

If only Steve could remaster every one of my favorite albums and get the label to release them on 45RPM 180Gram vinyl.

A_L

5. dachada

dachada Senior Member

One detail, on side 3 and 4 the Record Label info is wrongly written at the bottom (like computer glitch). I am wondering if it is only in mine LP ?

6. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Mine's like that too. Hadn't noticed it till now. Talk about your typo's.

A_L

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Steve, is there any chance that the 1975 self-titled album could receive this treatment? I understand that the answer to that question is probably out of your hands.

8. Steve Hoffman

Gee, never thought of doing that one.

Seriously, this was a WB deal. I'm amazed RUMOURS was issued at all like this. I doubt they will try it again with the White Album. At any rate, the master has that built in treble boost that always drives me crazy. At least RUMOURS was more neutral sounding.

At any rate, I love the S/T album. A wonderful experience. Doubt it will happen in this type of deal though. Just too many hurdles to go through.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I really enjoy the Blue Note 45's that you work on Steve. I'd love to see more of the classic rock albums receive the 45 treatment too.

10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Well, one could hope that the instant sell-out of the 45 RPM Rumours would cause WB to think about other Buckingham/Nicks-era FM titles that could be given this treatment. As much as I love Rumours, I love the 1975 album even more. I, for one, would gladly pony up for 45 RPM reissues of the 1975 album, Tusk, and Mirage.

But I'm grateful that we got Rumours in this format.

11. fantgolf

fantgolf Forum Resident

That triggered a major sigh. I've been hoping and hoping and hoping (& hoping) the ST album would be done like this. Maybe just a 33 1/3 LP?

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

+1. I received my 33rpm Rumours today and am listening to it as I type. Tremendous sound that would be tremendous to hear on the S/T.

13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this info Steve. Would be nice if all the positives on Rumours gives an opportunity for the S/T.

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

+1 on S/T

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This release has been such a hit that it sure would make a lot of $en$e for the record company and the band to approve a similar reissue of the S/T album and Tusk. They could start the pricing at $70 on those and I'd buy them.

16. Steve Hoffman

I don't think WB recognized the power of this Forum for selling disks like the 45 RPM Rumours and were caught a bit unprepared, etc.

We did some test cuts for WB at 45 RPM of Rickie Lee Jones, Van Morrison, etc. back in 2007 as well. TP's exist and also sound amazing (IMO).

Their current LP's are mastered by Grundman Mastering so if another Fleetwood Mac album were to be done, it wouldn't be by Gray/Hoffman, sorry to say.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So cherish the WBs we've gotten...like this, and Kevin's The Captain And Me.:agree:

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

"comped"

It is actually an abbreviation for "composite" since, as described by Steve, the resulting take is a single piece created from distinct parts.

19. Post-listening report regarding the 33rpm remaster: I've never been disappointed by a Hoffman-Gray LP cutting...and the winning streak definitely continues with this one!!! I've never heard this album sound better, even with my DVD-A!!! Kudos and thanks to everyone involved with this project!!!:love::goodie::cheers:

20. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Does anyone know where to buy the 45 rpm version anymore? You guys got me droolin - I MUST have a copy! :)

21. I would love to hear the "Mirage" and/or "Tusk" albums done like this...they'd probably sound KILLER!!!:winkgrin:

22. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Sorry to say and sorry to hear about the S/T possibility, or lack thereof.

23. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Just received my 33 1/3 RPM from UPS that I ordered through Amazon. To my surprise it was packaged well compared to their usual way. I was convinced that it would arrive damaged in some way with bent corners, seam splits or something. Despite my paranoia it arrived safely, no damage and to my delight has Kevin and Steve's initials in the deadwax.

Yesterday my 45RPM arrived from Acoustic Sounds, again with our host's initials in the deadwax.

I just can't believe my ears on my modest system and can only imagine how it sounds with real equipment:laugh:

This long-time FM fan feels amazingly lucky to have these in my collection and I feel like I really was dodging bullets to get these. I knew it was a risk ordering from Amazon but it paid off this time!

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought the same thing Saturday Laura ! Then I realized I was selling my Jensen LS-3s short...have they not been loyal since 1978 ? :winkgrin:

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Maybe now they will pay more attention to us.