SH Spotlight Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 45 & 33 1/3 RPM Hoffman/Gray vinyl mastering & equalization notes..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 16, 2011.

1. For our European members: jpc have confirmed yesterday that they sell the EU pressing.

2. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Steve, does the master tape(s) sound like the Taget CD? Anyway, I have applyed the EQ-settings to the first two songs of Target CD and it sounds really nice.

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Tokyo. You don't have to worry about radioactivity at all (seriously).

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not really, no. The Target CD is the Ken Perry EQ'd version from the early 1980s. I think if you add my EQ on there it might make them too bright. However, if you like the sound, go for it!

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Does that mean the Target CD has Lexicon reverb added as well?

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just received my 33 rpm pressing this morning. It almost equals my 45 rpm pressing in every way. If I hadn't bought the 45 and I would be more than happy with the 33 version. It sounds fantastic too!

7. Steve Hoffman

Mine does. Not too obtrusive but it's there. I have no idea how many secret masterings there were before the "remastered" version from the late 1980s that boosted the treble and midband to ear-splitting levels due to consumer complaints that the original CD was too "dull".

8. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

There are actually three different target masterings, so it's a big can of worms.

9. Steve Hoffman

It figures.

10. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Isn't there a different mix on one of the CD issues as well?

11. Steve Hoffman

What kind of a different mix? I doubt it. Different editing, maybe. That's assured depending on which set of tapes were used to make the Target(s).

12. semidetached

The one thing I remember was no fuzz guitar on the fourth verse of Second Hand News - definitely a different mix. Maybe I'm confusing it with something from the box set.

13. Steve Hoffman

I'd bet on it.

14. Downsampled

Two of the target masterings have the "Gold Dust Woman" mix with the extra-loud howling at the end, and a fade-up at the beginning. The other mastering (the most common of the three) has a cold start and less howling. I believe there are other differences on other tracks, described in another thread here.

15. Steve Hoffman

Those fade-ups were done by hand during mastering per notes on the box. I was going to do it for the versions we did but when I found that great count I decided to give out a little treat.

16. Downsampled

Yeah, I think I read that the fade-up was present on one of the first vinyl pressings (along with the extra howls), right?

Edit: Found the remarks here:

17. Steve Hoffman

Never Going Back Again. My version is the original 2:02. If you have a 2:12 version you have a cheater elongated edit piece that was added on, God knows why. Just to screw our minds or something.

At any rate, I checked carefully so be assured that this is the correct, authentic version of the song. Should clock in at around 2:02 :)

18. semidetached

Yeah, I think I was confusing that multitude of editing variations with the alternate mixes I've also heard over the years. Sorry for that. :)

19. Steve Hoffman

No problem. Didn't know there were 3 Targets. Each one had more and more treble added, yes?

20. Downsampled

I'm not so sure about that. Two of the masterings (same mix and similar sound, but different levels) are very mellow. The other is slightly brighter -- and is preferred by a lot of people here, I'll add. Neither my system nor my ears is very good at distinguishing much beyond that, I'm afraid, but yes, it's possible one has a bit more treble, or perhaps the previous one comes from a lesser tape source.

Steve, if I upload a few 30-sec clips, are you inclined to listen to them and comment? I wouldn't mind getting it settled once and for all.

21. Steve Hoffman

Don't know what I could settle for you on my computer speakers but go ahead..

Give us a little of DREAMS or GO YOUR OWN WAY and the first 30 sec. of GOLD DUST WOMAN as well..

22. Downsampled

Okay, first of all: I was wrong about the fade-up on "Gold Dust Woman". That is, it fades up on all three target masterings. There is no cold start on any. (There is a cold start on a later US CD I also have.)

Here are some sample (FLAC). First is a sample from "Dreams". The first sample, 1a-Sanyo, is the Sanyo Japan target. It's the quietest and most muted of the three. The second, 1b-WG01, is the first West German target with the '01' matrix. This seems to be the same mix as the Sanyo, but at more reasonable levels. The third, 2-32XD, is the 32XD Japan target, which is also the same mastering as the second West German target with an '04' matrix. This has a different mix, with less prominent howling at the end of "Gold Dust Woman" and the longer "Never Going Back Again".

I've also included a second set of clips of the first 30 seconds of "Gold Dust Woman". As noted above, they all fade up.

Dreams - 1a - Sanyo
    Dreams - 1b - WG01
    Dreams - 2 - 32XD

Gold Dust Woman - 1a - Sanyo
    Gold Dust Woman - 1b - WG01
    Gold Dust Woman - 2 - 32XD

23. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

1 dB might seem subtle, and it is...but when you're sitting there EQing something, and for a while something somewhere doesn't sound right, a 1 dB change can make the BIGGEST difference in the world

24. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Well, another heartbreak here: ordered what I THOUGHT was Steve and Kevin's 45 RPM version of this but it looks like it is the EU version. Ugg.

Looks like I will have to settle for the 33 1/3 version and my question is this: How do you differentiate Steve and Kevin's cut - does this one also say "Pressed at Pallas?" Thanks everyone for your help.

25. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

33 1/3 will say Pressed at Pallas and will have the gold sticker with rounded corners - the back will say Made in USA at the bottom. The colour of the sleeve will be off white not a pure white.