Anyone recognize this picture?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

On the Season 4, Volume 2 set for VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, there's a rough-looking print of an unaired pilot film. In its rough state, it has some odd frames flash by at the start of it. One was an image of two young ladies in an anamorphically squeezed picture. Just one frame flashes by, and it's upside down to boot.

I captured the frame, flipped it over and stretched it back out to proper AOR, and posted it here and at the HTF. Anyone recognize it?

49222308_VoyagePilotFrameSHTV.jpg

Harry

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  2. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Hi Harry,

Another forum site I belong to HobbyTalk, has a section for models, these guys are fiends with old TV episodes, http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/forumdisplay.php?f=4, try posting a Q in the Moebius or SciFi & Fantasy Movie & TV boards.

Or they kinda know me, I could post a link of this over there for you if that helps :)

Craig

3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Don't know what it's from but the blonde resembles a very young Elizabeth Montgomery.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

NOt Elizabeth Montgomery. Is that the best resolution you have? You need to flip that image horizontally. There's writing on that girls sweatshirt. Its reversed. That might be a clue. Otherwise, 60s B-picture stuff.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. HGN2001

6. Exactly. If you flip that image horizontally, you can almost read the lettering on her sweater.

Attached Files:

7. HGN2001

something ...ORN

Harry

8. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

California?

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think it just says "California" not a big help.

10. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

This is just a guess on my part, but this could just be some random throwaway film stock that was attached to the main print as leader so it could be spooled on to the telecine/film scanner without damaging the main print. We do a lot of film scanning at the place I work at and this is commonplace - so those images could literally be from anything, and given that it was used as leader it probably wasn't anything important or worth saving.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's the right answer. This is just scrap B&W workprint film that somebody at Fox threw in 50 years ago, using it as fill leader. I'm surprised whoever transferred the unaired pilot let this go. I've seen scrap footage like this used all the time with mag tracks as well, because workprint is cheaper than mag stock.

Sometimes this was done because there was a shot missing; sometimes, it happened because somebody chopped the correct shot early (and fixed it in the final negative assembly); sometimes, it happened just due to incompetence. Maybe all three. Fifty years after the fact, who knows?

Note that a bunch of shots from the Voyage pilot were taken from the scope Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea feature film starring Walter Pidgeon and Frankie Avalon. During the series, they also occasionally used shots from one of Irwin Allen's earlier movies, The Lost World, which (coincidentally) starred David Hedison. This allowed them to reuse a bunch of effects scenes with Hedison getting chased by dinosaurs.

Irwin Allen was a really, really cheap producer -- but you have to give him some grudging respect for squeezing every bit he could out of his footage.

kouzie, goodiesguy, Sean and 5 others like this.
  12. HGN2001

Granted that it's scrap footage. But what might it be scrap footage from. Those actresses look familiar to me in a b-movie, Disney flick, beach-party movie sort-of way.

I thought someone would recognize the actresses and we could check out their credits on IMDB and figure out where this frame came from.

Harry

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. HGN2001

Someone on HTF suggests that the lettering might read "HAWTHORNE".

Harry

Drifter likes this.
  14. HGN2001

This frame appears before the 9...8...7...6... countdown where leader film would be.

Harry

15. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

She sure looks like Elizabeth Montgomery to me.

16. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Her eyes are too wide set, and the bridge of her nose is thicker.

17. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

and the eyebrows are not pointy enough at the arches... clearly not her

THIS, however, is HER:

[​IMG]

18. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

A 1962 Buick. Now that I can identify.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  19. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I don't see a Buick.

I do see a Elizabeth Montgomery.

goodiesguy likes this.
  20. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Props as well. Even as a kid I recognized set scenes and props from Forbidden Planet showing up in The Time Tunnel (and Robby The Robot even turned up in an episode of Lost In Space), that the spaceship in Land of The Giants was a remodded Flying Sub from Voyage...and that Voyage provided a lot of prop stock in his 70s movie about the undersea city (forgot the title...).

Not to mention the banks of computers in all the Allen shows were identical.

Economy is what it's all about.

Too bad he wasn't as economical with his script budgets. All of his shows had great first seasons with really good story lines -- then they went to hell from the second season onward. I read it's because he hired the best SF writers at the start of each show then didn't have the money by the second season to continue the quality. Too bad. I liked the "serious" quality to each of his shows first seasons.

Dale

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

She has a lot of va va voom.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Ok, I never thought I'd see the day when pencilchewer would post a picture of a hot woman in a bathing suit sitting on the hood of a car. :eek:

Here is your reward. :D

[​IMG]

23. HGN2001

Stop! This had nothing to do with anyone in bathing suits or even Irwin Allen. It's a random frame frm something else. Please help me identify it. Go somewhere else to post your middle school fantasies.

It's also clearly not Elizabeth Montgomery.

Harry

erniebert likes this.
  24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Gee, I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

That's what I read, even before getting to your post. :thumbsup: Hawthorne University perhaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.