T.Rex: ELECTRIC WARRIOR on SHM-SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been playing the new Japanese SHM-SACD of ELECTRIC WARRIOR since it arrived here yesterday and I'm underwhelmed, unfortunately. The reason is primarily due to this new remaster being a very subdued affair, sonically speaking.

One of the only complaints I have about the recent spate of SHM-SACDs coming out of Japan over the last year or so is the low-volume mastering jobs a lot of these discs have had. I don't mind quiet discs, generally speaking, but some of these SHM-SACDs have taken it too far, losing dynamics in the process, in my opinion. For example, The Police's two SHM-SACDs aren't terribly hot, and there are a couple more titles that just didn't "shine" for me upon playback. There's nothing wrong, per se, it's just my personal preferences at play here. I can always turn up the volume, right? And that works a lot of the time, but only exaggerates the "muffled" sound that affects some of these SHM-SACDs ... and unfortunately ELECTRIC WARRIOR is one of those discs. It just wasn't remastered very well, I don't think.

I have the U.S. DVD-Audio disc as well as the European multichannel/stereo SACD of ELECTRIC WARRIOR, and they're both excellent sounding discs. I actually don't prefer one over the other; They're both stellar discs. Sharp, clear, well-balanced ... in short, everything you could ask for. I'm kinda perplexed why, then, this Japanese SHM-SACD is so thuddy and relatively dull sounding. I think the musical content really calls for an exciting mix. I actually feel the plain-vanilla Reprise Records CD has more aural dynamics to it than this SHM-SACD does, I'm sorry to say. Even the expanded U.S. Reprise Records CD — which isn't my favorite, BTW — sounds punchier.

All the tracks on the Japanese SHM-SACD are treated equally, so there's no point in going track-by-track in analyzation. Nothing here sounds better or worse than another selection off the album.

It's too bad, it really is. ELECTRIC WARRIOR is such a great record, too.

If and when the Japanese arm of Universal decides to release an SHM-SACD of THE SLIDER, I sure hope they revisit their mastering technique for that one.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks for your review.

Do you think this is how Rob Lo Verde would mastered the album if it was released by MoFi?

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The opposite of....

marcfeld69 likes this.
  4. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, that was a very opposite review...

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Crap. Another Fire and Water. Get ready to pickup a cheap Electric Warrior on the forum marketplace.

6. Rose River Bear

It is evident some of these are flat transfers of something other than the original master tapes.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The SHM-SACD was transfered from the US copy.... they haven't used the original UK tape.

8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

You conclude very fast.

They used the best tape there is. They could use the UK master tape, but the US tape is in better condition.

From the T.Rex SHM-SACD booklet:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think you're jumping the gun on that...we have two reviews...one glowing..one not so glowing...I'm not ready to call this SHM-SACD a loser because one person didn't like it- especially when one person loved it...we need more reviews.

10. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I hated Free's "Fire and Water" first. Now it's one of my favourite discs :)

Everyone has different systems, tastes, ears,... and the mood you're in (tired, happy,...)

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Exactly!
    I haven't got the chance to pick up one yet.
    Where was the original SACD mastered from?
    My copy is at home & I'm at work.

Darryl

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. Rose River Bear

I tried to like it and then compared it to other sources. I realized it was lifeless, dull and flat sounding. Sold it for $35 on the forum.

13. noname74

Always been on the fence to buy that one....it was that bad eh? Thats too bad...great album.

14. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

Warrior SHM SACD

Sorry to hear that a fellow Rexer was unimpressed..I love it.. I tested the Japanese mini sleeve remaster against the SHM SACD with my partner who is no Bolan fan..Get It On was the only track hes familiar with..
    He said that he could hear more detail with the SHM SACD...I had to increase the volume on the SACD and like a previous poster who disliked Fire and Water I was the same on the intial listen,but now I enjoy it.Maybe its a case of the Emperors New Clothes syndrome....because its new its better ??
    Tomorrow I will compare the 2011/2003 SACDs and DVD audio editions with some friends who are music fans but not Bolan Fanatics...I'll let you know..
    I think I have Electric Warrior overload..heres some pics !!!

Attached Files:

15. noname74

Looking forward to this shoot-out.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Original vinyl sounds great.

17. warleywarrior

Just dug out the 2003 SACD..
    5.1 Surround Mix by Tony Visconti
    Engineered by Hector Castillo @Sterling Sound New York
    Stereo Mix by Visconti
    Engineered by George Marino @Sterling Sound

Will test tomorrow...

18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I listened to the T-Rex SHM-SACD today and thought it sounded very good. Very natural and dynamic sounding. Not sure what rstamberg is hearing, but I feel that the T-Rex SACD sounds nice.

I also have a few vinyl versions, the old SACD and the DVD-Audio disc of this album, but have yet to do a comparison. Maybe if I were to do a comparison, side by side, I would feel differently. Taken on it's own, I really enjoyed listening to the T.Rex SHM-SACD and didn't feel it was "thuddy and dull sounding"... I felt quite the opposite. It doesn't sparkle with a ton of treble, but the entire presentation sounded very balanced to me.

I might be closer to having the opinion that warleywarrior has (although not as exuberant).

With these SHM-SACDs costing so much, I hate to make a snap judgement for fear that someone might use my "review" to go out and spend $60.00 and then be disappointed, so I am not going to go out on a limb and say that anyone considering this disc jump at the chance to get this SHM-SACD before it goes out of print (assuming it will ever go out of print).

Just for the sake of knowing how I listened to the T-Rex SHM-SACD, it was through my XA5400ES to a 2-channel Analog direct in on my receiver.

I can tell you one thing, I listened to the T-Rex disc right after listening to the new Uriah Heep SHM-SACD, and the T-Rex disc sounded "better" in comparison (although they are two different animals completely).

oopap likes this.
  19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks MikeT for your review!

Knowing that this SACD is mastered by Rob LoVerde, it's hard for me to think he has done something wrong with it. That's because nearly every SACDs from LoVerde/Britton (MoFi) has sounded terrific.

I will order this one!

20. rstamberg

I agree.

I'm gonna play mine some more.

I do not think the SHM-SACD is "a loser" by any means.

21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Since MoFi's mastering is smooth (non-edgy) in sound and both SACD and SHM are smooth in sound, and your system maybe is a bit smooth and soft in sound, this in sum could tip it over. If you understand me.

22. warleywarrior

Thanks MikeT..Never been called Exuberant before !! I;ve been a T.REX fan for over 40 years so maybe I can still get excited !
    My bedroom circa 1972
    At Marcs Funeral Sept 20 1977 ..me top right..

Attached Files:

Engelsstaub likes this.
  23. rstamberg

Funny, I'm thinking similar thoughts.

I think I'll fool around a little with my settings next time I spin my copy of the ELECTRIC WARRIOR SHM-SACD.

24. PanaPlasma

"Fire and Water" sounds at least better as the Deluxe Edition.

The bass sounds fuller, there's much seperation of the instruments,...

Haven't heard the original cd release or LP.

25. PanaPlasma

For those complaining about the price. Move to Europe. Price shm-sacd from cd japan: 37,6 € :)

To give you an idea: AF & MFSL gold discs / hybrid sacds cost between 29,99€ - 34,99 €.

Not a big difference for us.

Thanks for the pics, WayleyWarrior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.