Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink - Deluxe Edition remixed by Steven Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

What are these 5.1 mixes? dts? DD? Something better?

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Thanks, gonna grab this. :thumbsup:

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Mine is on the way from the UK.

4. downer

downer Senior Member

Confirmed shipped today, yay!:goodie::goodie::goodie:

5. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

Mine as well! Hoping for delivery tomorrow...

6. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

The 5.1 Mix is Dolby Digital only.

7. hutchy

hutchy Forum Resident

Thanks GOD I didn't order. I'll stick with the SHM-SACD!

8. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Yep, kind of figured as such, seeing how the 3rd disc on Amazon is listed as a DVD and since I guess they ain't making DVD-As anymore, reckoned it would be some Dolby lossy format. So, I'll stick with the SHM-SACD.

9. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

bummer :(

10. chaz

chaz Senior Member

What a downer :shake: Mines on the way too. As much as I love the SHM-SACD I was really hoping for a good sounding 5.1 :shake:

11. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Wow. Passing on this. What a shame.

12. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

What? Is this 2001?

13. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

Hello folks - this is Steven Wilson, I'm new here! Anyway, I did the 5.1 remix of In the Land of Grey and Pink, and I'm also very disappointed that there wasn't a lossless DVDA included in the reissue, but as I'm sure you already suspect it's to do with major label politics and saving a few cents. Unfortunately this is something largely out of my control, though of course I always make the best case I can for high res formats, especially when I've gone to so much trouble to make the mixes sound as good as I can. Here's a question - if we could find a way to make the lossless 2.0 and 5.1 files available to download, is it easy for you guys to burn your own playable discs? Forgive my ignorance on this, it's not something I've ever tried to do myself. Not saying that this could happen, because I would have to go through official channels to get the record company to agree to do it, but in principle? It seems such a shame that the high res audio files exist but aren't available to the people that would appreciate them. SW

Rundfunk, pulpo, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  14. hutchy

hutchy Forum Resident

Sorry PanaPlasma, don't know what the above is supposed to mean. "Thank god I didn't...." is an expression we use in Australia all the time, and which I have used all my life. What does 2001 have to do with anything?

15. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Dolby Digital = 2001

DTS HD Master, PCM 5.1 Uncompressed, etc. = 2011

I quoted the wrong person ;)

I'm very happy with my shm-sacd ...

16. hutchy

hutchy Forum Resident

No probelm mate :)

We've all moved on from Dolby Digital for audio and I wish the record companies would realise this.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :cheers:

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Welcome to the forum Steven! It's quite an honor to have you here. I would download the 5.1 in a heartbeat. I haven't done any hi-res downloads yet, I am waiting until I get all a good A/D converter and an alternate computer to do the work, but I am gearing up towards that end. Many here are already at that point. I haven't really seen and 5.1 downloads, yet, though. I could be mistaken.

18. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Hey Steven! Great to have you here! I would definitely download it. I'm sure there are tutorials on how to make DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray discs.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I too wish to welcome you Steven...a big fan for two years now, I've bought literally everything PT has done, plus Insurgentes. Yes, here in my home, we could / would burn our own discs from available downloads.

20. hutchy

hutchy Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum Steve! I'm an avaid fan of your work, both with PT and your other projects along with enginerring / remixing work you do for artists such as King Crimson. You're stereo and surround mixes are amongst some of my favourites in my collection.

In answer to your question, yes, I for one take hi-res aduio in whatever format I can get it in, so my collection consists of SACD, DVD-A, some Blu-Ray audio, and many home made DVD-A from albums I have purchased on-line e.g. HDTracks, Wings - Band On The Run from McCartney on line etc.

21. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Great to hear from you Steve!
    Yes, if it was possible from the companies, I would gladly pay to download and burn a 5.1 lossless mix.

22. Please excuse my ignorance as I'm technologically challenged when it comes to understanding hi-res formats and how they work. I'm a big Caravan fan and have been considering this deluxe edition, but I can only play CD or SACD in two channel only so would it be worth my while purchasing this?

Also, I currently own Robert Fripp's 30th Anniversary editions of the King Crimson catalogue along with the 'Original Master' edition he did of 'In The Court...'. I have picked up and looked at the King Crimson reissues done by Steven Wilson but I was not sure if buying these would be a significant upgrade over the 30th Anniversary Editions given I do not have the ability to play DVD-Audio or surround sound? Thanks kindly. :)

23. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

Mister Wilson, thanks for chiming in!
    I also invite you to the "Quadraphonic Quad" site where all things 5.1 or quad are still respected and beloved!
    THanks for all the GREAT 5.1 mixes-got all of the KC ones and they are really exemplary!
    I just received the DVD/Dolby 5.1 an was very disappointed with it not featuring a Hi Res 5.1 mix.
    Is there any way that the ones that have bought the DVD can download the Hi Res version, at least with the receipt? Bought mine from Amazon.co.uk.
    Thanks for caring!
    Saludos desde Madrid.

24. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

I realize it is best to stay on topic, but I just wanted to say hello. I share your opinion about the value of packaging your music and have expressed my opinion thus:

[​IMG]

I hope you will stay in touch here from time to time. :righton:

Some of those PT CDs get in the car player and just stay there for months and months. They are a joy on the home system as well!

I've also enjoyed Gavin's forum at Drummer World: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698&page=83

I've got his book and DVD on metric modulations, too.

And I think you used some of Steve Hubback's gongs and percussion recently? Very cool! http://www.dse.nl/~hubgong/

25. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Hi Mr Wilson,

Great of you to chime in. I love those King Crimson packages you did - I truly think they are some of the best done reissues/remixes that anyone has done, just sound great and have all the hi-res stuff as I would want. Also been a big fan of your music for many years (actually bought the first PT album when it came out). Also, excellent show you put on at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco a few months ago. Thanks for all of that.

To answer your question: if you made the high res files available for download in FLAC or some other file format, it is easy to either listen to them from the computer (sent out to the music system) or to burn them to DVDs to play. Really no problem, so if you want to make them available would love to hear them.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that the Caravan DVD doesn't come with the high res files. I bought the thing anyway, and I look forward to your mixes and mastering but I really wish it did have a DVD-A or similar. Even if you made the files available for download, it still would have been great to have the more permanent format of DVD-A or similar.

I also have to ask: the Jethro Tull Aqualung 5.1 - hopefully that will have the lossless high-res files? Right? Hopefully? Looking forward to hearing you do your magic on that long-problematic recording too.

Best wishes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.